numbness in right leg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roadiewill

Ive been doing 20+ mile training rides every night this week, but for some reason after only a few miles I find that my entire right leg, especially my toes on the right side of my foot become slightly numb, not entirely, but something isnt right. Could this be because my saddle isnt straight, therefore restricting blood flow, or any other reasons? thanks

RedBike

Shoes on the wrong feet?

20 mile training rides every night. Thats going some.
I'm not surprised you're aching.

RedBike

I was once told that most people don't train right.
They just do loads of rides at the same intensity. They fail to push themselves hard enough on their training rides and they don't go slow enough on their rest days.

(I seem to do exactly the same, only I never bother to call them training rides anymore).

OP
OP
roadiewill

roadiewill

Well I think these rides are helping, I can easily do 20-25 miles after work in about 1hr-1hr 30mins. Just want to make sure Im in top shape for some sportives im entering over the summer.

I was watching a video on youtube on how gerolsteiner train which was quite interesting. They get about 3 riders behinf the team car for say 5 minutes, then when they hit a straight bit of road the guys pull out and go pull power to try and overtake the car... obviously not something us mere mortals can do.

I dont really do rest days... is that just going out and averaging a lower speed than usual?

Alves

Are you sure it's the WHOLE leg and not just part of the leg or foot?
That would be quite an unusual pattern of numbness.
If the entire leg is affected and feels very cold to the touch and is pale in colour, you should probably see your GP.
If it is just a numbness in the foot or part of the foot or leg, then it is less significant. To be honest, one could not really make an accurate diagnosis over the net for something like this and if it worries you or becomes worse then you'd be better to see a professional in person.

RedBike

I've no idea on training plans. I'm sure someone on here can help.
I would be carefull about doing too much until you've sorted out the problem with your leg.

Riding every night will do wonders to your base fitness, which will really help on longer rides. But IMO for a sportive it's best to get used to riding the distance / terrain you'll be doing on the day. If the event is 60 / 100 miles in the hills then that's the sort of ride you need to do in training.

Rest / recovery days are really important (espeshially after a big ride) because it's through rest that your body repairs the damage exercising has done and adapts; and you wont be able to push yourself unless you're recovered.

Keith Oates

Janner
I would also suggest you get some medical advice from a Doctor if the leg is going numb. Sometimes after a longish and hard ride I've felt some problem in the foot for a while after the ride but never the whole leg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
roadiewill

roadiewill

OK thanks, looks like Il need to head into the cotswolds for some hill training for some welsh sportives. Went out today having adjusted saddle, did about 26 miles and the leg was better.

yenrod

This is an easy one: when you've done your usual riding instead of the 20mls every rides (good way of training BTW - if you throw in a 50 at the w.end) that wouldnt have shown up your porblem now: in other words that fact that your riding everyday is basically showing you that your position is off in some way;

Saddle height;

Reach;

Leg position in relation to the pedal - to far away from the crank / too close even;

Could be one or a few factors of many.

Mess around with your position.

byegad

Legendary Member
I lose all the feeling along the outside of my thigh if I stand for too long. To the point I can catch it on somethong sharp and not feel it cut me. I went to the Doctor who descibed it in Latin and told me it was nothing to worry about.
I came home and looked up what his latin phrase meant in my pocket Latin dictionary.

It meant numb area.

I'd just told him that!

Top Bottom