Numpties!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Whilst I agree there are plenty of numpties out there, as in Addictfreak's examples, it appears that some of us do need to chill out and share the facilities provided. When you can see someone ahead who you may think will cause a problem it doesn't make sense to carry on at undiminished speed. We expect motorists not to drive as if they are the only ones on the road and I think it is only fair that cyclists do the same.

A quick question if I may: Funk My Fixie, are you the same person as Chloebear?

[QUOTE 1853883, member: 9609"]unfortunately we have motorist that seem to have the same utter disregard to cyclist as you appear to have towards anyone who may get in your way while cycling - you're coming over as a real nasty piece of work.[/quote]

Apologies to all, have removed offending comments as made when drunk. SOZ. I am just scared of dogs as I was bitten by one once. :smile:. What I was trying to say was....... I feel as offended as Addictfreak is but by dog owners. I slow down when passing dogs/owners but become annoyed when people let their animals chase after me. My wife is scared to cycle on a cycle path now in case she is attacked after she was chased for 3-400 yards by a big dog. (Breed unknown by her.) I don't want her on a road. It can be dangerous at the best of times as all cyclists know.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Apologies to all, have removed offending comments as made when drunk. SOZ. I am just scared of dogs as I was bitten by one once. :smile:. What I was trying to say was....... I feel as offended as Addictfreak is but by dog owners. I slow down when passing dogs/owners but become annoyed when people let their animals chase after me. My wife is scared to cycle on a cycle path now in case she is attacked after she was chased for 3-400 yards by a big dog. (Breed unknown by her.) I don't want her on a road. It can be dangerous at the best of times as all cyclists know.
Okay, being scared by dogs is reasonable explanation but your reaction is still quite extreme.

Since I mostly ride in rural areas, being chased by dogs is quite common but I find it's not usually a problem if you deal with it right. What you have to remember is that to the dog, 9 times out of 10 it's just a game - you're moving so it's fun to chase you. My usual tactic is to talk to the dog in a gentle voice ("Hello dog, aren't you nice", that sort of thing). This isn't the response they expect so they tend to give up quite quickly. You can also just ignore the dog and keep riding but they will usually chase for a lot longer in this case (of course that means a long walk for the owner to get the dog back).

Don't shout at the dog as it thinks this is part of the game and it'll encourage it to carry on, and definitely don't kick at it as this probably will lead to you getting bitten.

Okay, being scared by dogs is reasonable explanation but your reaction is still quite extreme.

Since I mostly ride in rural areas, being chased by dogs is quite common but I find it's not usually a problem if you deal with it right. What you have to remember is that to the dog, 9 times out of 10 it's just a game - you're moving so it's fun to chase you. My usual tactic is to talk to the dog in a gentle voice ("Hello dog, aren't you nice", that sort of thing). This isn't the response they expect so they tend to give up quite quickly. You can also just ignore the dog and keep riding but they will usually chase for a lot longer in this case (of course that means a long walk for the owner to get the dog back).

Don't shout at the dog as it thinks this is part of the game and it'll encourage it to carry on, and definitely don't kick at it as this probably will lead to you getting bitten.

I do find this to be difficult on a fixed gear. I have purchased some clips/straps as some nice person explained that I can go faster with them. Anyway, it takes me half an hour hanging upside down trying to reach the things to get clipped in as I can't do it while moving for obvious reasons. I don't want to spoil anyone's nice country walk but it seems like SOME not all dog walkers are happy to spoil my ride. Having a dog jumping up at me when I cannot stop as I am unable to unclip without something to hold onto is scary. I know there will be dogs along the track somewhere but what should I do, put my old pedals on, stop riding my pride and joy, or go and play with the traffic?

I do cycle on the roads but it is sooooo dangerous with all the pot holes around and It is just a nice way to finish a nice cycle by sprinting the last mile or two along a track. I come across as a speed demon but for me the faster I go the more calories I burn and I have managed to lose a lot of weight from doing this and have reduced my cholesterol levels as well.

I have never shouted nor would I at an animal, but feel it is better just to ride away before anything happens.

Top Bottom