Nut stuck in the head tube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker_2000

I’m trying to repair an old bike. I believe there is a nut stuck in the head tube which is preventing the bike from steering properly. What is the best way to remove it and do I need to dismantle the bike.

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:
If there's a nut stuck in the head tube, that implies that the steerer tube (part of the fork) is not inserted: is that right?
Or does the steerer tube stick out above the head tube/headset (and have no threading on it).
More likely a bearing issue that a 'nut stuck' issue. Since you say 'I believe' I assume you have not actually seen the suspected nut.

Sharky

Guru
Presume this is a quill stem and the nut you are referring to is the expander nut that is used to tighten the stem and the stem has now been removed?

Can you re fit the long stem bolt back into the head, loosely fitted and than tap it with a hammer to loosen it, then pull it out with the bolt still screwed in?

Alternatively, is the nut far enough down, so that it doesn't interfere with a new quill stem, in which case, no harm in leaving it there.

Good luck

Reactions: C R
I had a wedge drop out and stick in my steerer tube. You have to rotate the nut or wedge into the correct orientation to drop out the bottom. There is no special tool or method, you have to improvise. Suggest a wire coat hanger.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I just want to check that you are not talking about the 'star nut' that absolutely should be stuck in the tube?

1592313719147.png

Top Bottom