Nutter in a John Deere jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
BentMikey said:
A couple of minutes? That would have been a very short flight. I quite often stayed up for several hours at a time, depending on conditions.
True. You catch a thermal you can be up there for hours. Did that when I went up in a glider.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I used to teach people gliding too, I miss my flying days. Two of my best paraglider flights were a 60km thermal cross country flight, landing at my mates farm for a cuppa tea and a lift back into town. Stupid really, I should have gone much further and set a country record, it would have been easy to do that day.

The second one was ridge soaring past sunset, and carrying on flying whilst the full moon rose. So beautiful seeing the silver bottoms of leaves on trees, hearing owls hooting, cows lowing, and jackals calling in the fields below. That was one of the most serene and unreal flying experiences I've ever had.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The very BEST flying experience I have ever had was when I had just come out of hospital and my folks took me on holiday to Zurich, Lugano and Bergun (Graubunden, for the Rhb).

We were flying with BA and the first leg was from Glasgow to Heathrow. Unbeknowenst to me, my parents had spoken to the crew that I was just out out of hospital after having had treatment for Leukaemia.

This was 1999 and therefore pre 9/11, so they let me into the cockpit of the '757 for the landing into Heathrow (complete with a sight seeing tour from the pilots as we flew across Central London and right up the Thames at about 8000 feet), which was amazing enough, but the message was passed on, and so I got into the cockpit of the next '757 for the take off from Heathrow and the landing in Zurich, whilst we were upgraded to first class!!

It was quite the most amazing flying experience I have ever had!!

On the way back we didn't say anything and just looked out he window instead (although I'm sure we could have got up front again!).

F*ck the terrorists! What a sad world we live in when the flightcrew can't show you that amount of generosity!

Top Bottom