1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nutter in a John Deere jacket

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by magnatom, 3 Jan 2008.

1. magnatom

magnatom Guest

Yesterday I was down in Lancashire at the in-laws out in the country (Wyre way). We went to go for a walk along the local lanes, but before we did we had to cross a busy country A road. You know the type, speed varies from 30mph to 60 mph and it passes through various small villages (the A588 for those in the know).

These are the sort of roads which it takes concentration and a little guts to cycle on. Of course it is possible and if ridden correctly pretty safe, but the sort of road you'd suggest a novice (or an idiot) should avoid.

Walking along we happened across an idiot. A chap on a mountain bike who it would appear was a farmer of sorts (owing to the John Deere jacket, which at least made him fairly visible), was cycling along this road talking on his mobile phone with no hands on the handle bars! :biggrin::ohmy:

All credit to the chap for his no-handed cycling skills. I'll tip my hat at that. However, on that road (where car crashes are fairly common) he was just plain crazy!

Of course despite being with the in-laws etc I switched straight into magnaman mode and couldn't help make a wee comment as he wobbled on by.

'Have you got a death-wish mate?!'

His reaction was to shrug his shoulders (also quite skillfully I must admit), and carry on with his conversation about this years shade of John Deere green being nicer than last years.

Oh well, thank goodness for Darwin.......:biggrin:

Oh and, no, I did not have my helmet camera on at the time!!:8:

2. Maz

Maz Guru

Well, that's one way of being on a mobile phone 'hands-free', I suppose.

3. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

I always like to see the no hands cyclists, usually going quick and usually hands in pockets, always strikes me as old skool and rather clever

4. Maz

Maz Guru

Saw one fella riding hands-free rolling a rizzla. Not bad at all.

5. GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

That's a challenge - I'll have to give that a go :8:

6. Landslide

Landslide Rare Migrant

The hardest part's lighting up once it's rolled.

7. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

You just need one of those blowtorch lighters. They work in even quite strong winds, we used to use them when paragliding.

8. Maz

Maz Guru

Why would you use a blowtorch whilst paragliding?

9. BentMikey

If you wanted to smoke a cigarette. Mostly on top of the hill where we did ridge soaring, but sometimes whilst flying too. It's not a real blowtorch, just a lighter-sized version that works even in strong winds.

10. OP
    OP
    magnatom

magnatom Guest

Tsk tsk. A very dangerous habit indeed. :biggrin:

That blowtorch could have your eyebrows off! :biggrin:

11. Alan Frame

Alan Frame Gnu

I find an ashtray on the handlebars does detract from the minimalist look though.

12. Maz

Maz Guru

Now that's what I call a nervous flyer.
    You're only up for a couple of minutes and you still need a ciggy to calm yourself.

13. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

*Shakes head at Mikey*

Didn't know you were a smoker Mikey?

14. BentMikey

A couple of minutes? That would have been a very short flight. I quite often stayed up for several hours at a time, depending on conditions. Unlike most people's perceptions, it's not an adrenaline intensive sport, it's more about calm pleasure and mental skill.

15. BentMikey

I used to be, I gave up 11 years ago.