Nutter in a John Deere jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yesterday I was down in Lancashire at the in-laws out in the country (Wyre way). We went to go for a walk along the local lanes, but before we did we had to cross a busy country A road. You know the type, speed varies from 30mph to 60 mph and it passes through various small villages (the A588 for those in the know).

These are the sort of roads which it takes concentration and a little guts to cycle on. Of course it is possible and if ridden correctly pretty safe, but the sort of road you'd suggest a novice (or an idiot) should avoid.

Walking along we happened across an idiot. A chap on a mountain bike who it would appear was a farmer of sorts (owing to the John Deere jacket, which at least made him fairly visible), was cycling along this road talking on his mobile phone with no hands on the handle bars! :biggrin::ohmy:

All credit to the chap for his no-handed cycling skills. I'll tip my hat at that. However, on that road (where car crashes are fairly common) he was just plain crazy!

Of course despite being with the in-laws etc I switched straight into magnaman mode and couldn't help make a wee comment as he wobbled on by.

'Have you got a death-wish mate?!'

His reaction was to shrug his shoulders (also quite skillfully I must admit), and carry on with his conversation about this years shade of John Deere green being nicer than last years.

Oh well, thank goodness for Darwin.......:biggrin:

Oh and, no, I did not have my helmet camera on at the time!!:8:

Maz

Guru
Well, that's one way of being on a mobile phone 'hands-free', I suppose.

Tynan

Veteran
I always like to see the no hands cyclists, usually going quick and usually hands in pockets, always strikes me as old skool and rather clever

Maz

Guru
BentMikey said:
You just need one of those blowtorch lighters. They work in even quite strong winds, we used to use them when paragliding.
Why would you use a blowtorch whilst paragliding?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
If you wanted to smoke a cigarette. Mostly on top of the hill where we did ridge soaring, but sometimes whilst flying too. It's not a real blowtorch, just a lighter-sized version that works even in strong winds.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

BentMikey said:
If you wanted to smoke a cigarette. Mostly on top of the hill where we did ridge soaring, but sometimes whilst flying too. It's not a real blowtorch, just a lighter-sized version that works even in strong winds.

Tsk tsk. A very dangerous habit indeed. :biggrin:

That blowtorch could have your eyebrows off! :biggrin:

Maz

Guru
BentMikey said:
Now that's what I call a nervous flyer.
You're only up for a couple of minutes and you still need a ciggy to calm yourself.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Maz said:
Now that's what I call a nervous flyer.
You're only up for a couple of minutes and you still need a ciggy to calm yourself.

A couple of minutes? That would have been a very short flight. I quite often stayed up for several hours at a time, depending on conditions. Unlike most people's perceptions, it's not an adrenaline intensive sport, it's more about calm pleasure and mental skill.

Top Bottom