NW Passage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
potsy, have i ever left you behind? you are already capable, subject to the weather. the ride us 3 did was far harder in that weather than the july ride will be. you have more than enough time. grow a pair.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
There is one little fact worth pointing out - that is it will be about 4 times as far with 2-3 times the climbing! :whistle:

I have the advantage of knowing what such a ride is like, having done about 15 of them, so I know what I have to do to get ready for one. Potsy doesn't have that experience so it must seem a pretty scary prospect.

Still, whatever happens, we'll be riding somewhere and enjoying it.

Let's just hope we actually have a proper summer this year, I did that ride down to Coventry on 28th June 2007 and it was so gloomy, damp and windy that I had to wear legwarmers, a long-sleeved base-layer, armwarmers and a gilet to keep myself warm! :sad:

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 43
  • biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 46
  • biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 44

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
the guts he showed on that miserable day was impressive. the guts he showed on the 115 miles was impressive. it is 6 months away. i have faith in him & you, all you need to do is ride maaann riiiideeee!!!.

ColinJ

Shaun - the forecast is okay for tomorrow and Friday, Do you fancy getting a ride in? I was thinking of the Trawden ride again, but coming back along the Long Causeway instead of Widdop.

I have to do my shopping in the morning, so if you fancy it, how about the Market Place car park at noon? Scrub that the market is on there, which is why I'll be shopping - meeting at the front of the Italian cafe at noon!

I'll be offline for a couple of hours now, I'll check back later to see if you are free tomorrow.

OP
OP
Fiona N

Fiona N

Veteran
I like the idea of Oxenholme, Sedbergh, Dentdale, Hawes ... (then numerous possible variations) ... and then Settle, (avoid the A65 so maybe?) Keasden, Wray, Gressingham, then the B6254 via Kirkby Lonsdale to Oxenholme?

Fiona - is the B6254 ok?

Yes - it's a good road, not that much traffic, especially from KL north and wide enough that's it's not a problem. It's a fairly stiff climb from KL at the end of the day although once you get to the summit, is it more or less downhill to Oxenholme station. My route back from Kirby Stephen has a strenuous climb from Tebay to Lune Gap followed by some evil short ascents on the road back to Kendal. I've never had to get off and walk but it's a close run thing. That's unless I head across through Orton to the A6 and the easy side of Shap.

I'd leave the route setting until we've a better idea of people's fitness. I'd like to aim high but, being realistic, unless I've lost a fair amount of that 12 kg, the steep stuff is likely to knacker me too much to keep on doing it all day. In which case I'd be plumbing for the Garsdale route to Hawes...:wacko:

potsy

Rambler
Or even lurking round the corner to get away the smokers sitting outside! ;)

A nice ride Shaun, in lovely spring-like weather! I hope you got back safely. See you on Sunday.

Oh I hope the weather Sunday is as nice as it was today, was it a copy of the ride we did last?
You seem to be getting into the mood again Colin
thumbsup.png

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
yeah got back oki doki. 62.1 miles and nearly 1800m climbing. it was a gorgeous day. i even cleared nasty nasty evil widdup on compact gearing...well chuffed.

when you putting piccies up colin?

ColinJ

Oh I hope the weather Sunday is as nice as it was today, was it a copy of the ride we did last?
It was, except that instead of Wycoller cafe, we called in at a nice cafe in Heptonstall towards the end - Towngate Tearoom (on Google Streetview).

I said I'd give them a little plug - the owner told us that her husband is a keen cyclist. They have some bike locks you can use, so ask if you call in there. (It's at the top of a steep hill so if an opportunist thief hopped on your unlocked bike, you would never catch him/her!)

Shaun managed to ride up the steep bugger on the way back to Widdop this time. Previously, he proved that he could walk up the climb as fast as I could ride it. This time he proved that it is faster for him to ride it!

I've done well on the beer reduction - 3 days off, but I'm going to meet some former workmates now at the pub! I haven't been to the pub since last June and I haven't seen this guys for a year and a half, so I'm going to dip into my weekly quota tonight, but will save some for 'post-ride recovery drinks' on Sunday! ;)

You seem to be getting into the mood again Colin
thumbsup.png
The sunshine and milder temperatures really help! I was in cool weather gear rather than full-winter, and I had to roll down my arm-warmers and unzip my gilet at times because I was getting too warm.

ColinJ

yeah got back oki doki. 62.1 miles and nearly 1800m climbing. it was a gorgeous day. i even cleared nasty nasty evil widdup on compact gearing...well chuffed.

when you putting piccies up colin?
Good stuff. I did 31, so going the alternative way over Penistone Hill adds about 2 miles to my original Trauma of Trawden route. That ties in with the 32 miles we did when we called in at Wycoller the other time.

I'm just going out, but if I'm not too late back I'll post some pictures later. If not, I'll do it tomorrow. See ya Sunday!

potsy

Rambler
I take it you didn't have the wind to push you up that hill Contador style this time?
biggrin.gif

Sounds like a good ride, did you manage the Widdup climb again?

Well done Shaun, I was hoping I had some holidays soon so I could get over for a mid-week ride with you, but my week off is a couple of weeks after yours finish
sad.gif

ColinJ

I take it you didn't have the wind to push you up that hill Contador style this time?
biggrin.gif

Sounds like a good ride, did you manage the Widdup climb again?

Well done Shaun, I was hoping I had some holidays soon so I could get over for a mid-week ride with you, but my week off is a couple of weeks after yours finish
sad.gif
The wind was much gentler today!

I did manage the climb - very slowly - 4.2 kph when I looked down at the GPS!

I could be up for a mid-week ride then if we get a nice day. Just give me a day or two's notice if you fancy it.

Right - I've got to dash. Actually, I'm too stiff and sore from those hills - hobble!

Top Bottom