NW Scotland again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
samid said:
I'd rather not take trains... but thanks for the info. That unpleasant part you mention - if I understand correctly, it's only about 15 miles or so right? Not too long I mean.

No it isn't but just don't underestimate the f*ckwittery of your average tourist up there. The road gets very narrow in places and many of them don't appreciate how to use passing places, will squeeze you out, pass dangerously close, too fast etc and I personally would rather not take the risk. I have taken the train from Lochailort to Fort William in the past to avoid riding on that road and I am glad I did. I have ridden on it in the past and it wasn't pleasant.

OP
OP
samid

samid

Veteran
Thanks for the info Kirstie - even if after all I do take that road I'll be extra cautious.

Aberal said: It's a tricky one as the route between Edinburgh and the Falkirk/Stirling area is busy and the roads are not good.

This route is dead quiet if you go over the Forth Bridge and pickup the NCN 76 Dunfemline - Alloa path, dead straight and an excellent surface.

rualexander

Legendary Member
I don't know when Kirstie was last on the A830 to Mallaig but none of it is single track now. I would not advise getting the train to avoid this section because from Lochailort to Mallaig there is some stunning scenery, particularly around Arisaig and the white sands of Morar. Between Arisaig and Morar you can get onto the old (some single track) road and avoid the faster traffic on the main road. If its a nice day when you are there, don't miss Camusdarach beach which is great for a swim and the views out to Rhum and Eigg are unbeatable.
It's a shame when they built the new road they didn't retain more of the old road (between Arisaig and Lochailort) as a cycling route as it was a lovely road to cycle.

OP
OP
samid

samid

Veteran
Gary Cummins said:
This route is dead quiet if you go over the Forth Bridge and pickup the NCN 76 Dunfemline - Alloa path, dead straight and an excellent surface.
Hi Gary, could you tell me a bit more about that route please? Is it well marked? Is this the right map to get/follow for it? Cheers.

samid said:
Hi Gary, could you tell me a bit more about that route please? Is it well marked? Is this the right map to get/follow for it? Cheers.

This is the link here:
http://www.sustransshop.org.uk/products/5465-ncn-round-the-forth
it takes you up to Stirling via Alloa, from Alloa to Stirling it can get messy surface wise, but is OK. I led a tour round the Trossachs a couple of years back and we all used this route with loaded tourers. Good luck with your trip whatever way you go.

OP
OP
samid

samid

Veteran
Thanks guys.

rualexander said:
I don't know when Kirstie was last on the A830 to Mallaig but none of it is single track now. I would not advise getting the train to avoid this section because from Lochailort to Mallaig there is some stunning scenery, particularly around Arisaig and the white sands of Morar. Between Arisaig and Morar you can get onto the old (some single track) road and avoid the faster traffic on the main road. If its a nice day when you are there, don't miss Camusdarach beach which is great for a swim and the views out to Rhum and Eigg are unbeatable.
It's a shame when they built the new road they didn't retain more of the old road (between Arisaig and Lochailort) as a cycling route as it was a lovely road to cycle.

It's been a few years actually - so that information is good to know as it's somewhere I've always assumed would be dreadful to ride a bike on because of all of the stupid tourist ferry traffic.

OP
OP
samid

samid

Veteran
Yes, it was great - good weather, almost no midgies, great views. The only downside was the blown tyre (and a case of severe sunburn :wacko:)...

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
It's been a few years actually - so that information is good to know as it's somewhere I've always assumed would be dreadful to ride a bike on because of all of the stupid tourist ferry traffic.
There's less ferry traffic than there used to be because of the bridge.

rualexander

Legendary Member
andrew_s said:
There's less ferry traffic than there used to be because of the bridge.

I'm not sure if that is actually the case, many tourists who want to go to Skye like the idea of taking a ferry so where in the past they might have gone via the Kyle of Lochalsh ferry (replaced by the bridge) they now have to go via Mallaig if they want to go by ferry.
And the 'improvement' to the road to Mallaig will probably have increased the traffic volume too.

Top Bottom