O/T: Laptop recommendations around £500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rigid Raider said:
Bigger Dells probably have better cooling arrangements. Latitudes don't.

I've been told; don't know if it's true, that the problem is caused due to the cooling fan being underneath the computer. When it's sitting flat on the table, air can't get under the computer and into the fan to provide sufficient cooling. Supposedly the answer is to support the back edge of the laptop on a couple of folded beer mats so the air can get in more effectively.

And whilst you’re in the pub getting the beer mats, it would be impolite not try a local ale or two. ;)

alfablue

Dell and Acer are good value for money. With the Acer it is possible to find a 3 year extended warranty pack that includes accident damage (£75 excess for screen) for about £80 if you shop around, which makes them even better value IMHO. (Better than the £170 warranty on my Vaio, anyway!).

twowheelsgood

Err, actually the world won't have moved on all that much since your Sempron 3400. In fact I still think you can buy one as a basic model.

I'd buy whatever had a dual core CPU and 1GB memory and was cheapest. Everything comes with wireless, ethernet and usb2.0 ports. If you aren't interested in gaming, then nothing else is particularly life or death. Toshiba do something reasonable for £400.

mosschops2

Also fyi (in addition to alfablue's input) I got 3 yr next day engineer-visiting status from Dell for £115 I think.

(I think it was 3 yr - could have been 2).

Top Bottom