Obese guy - recently started cycling - need advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
That is just nonsense.
the majority of HR monitors work on that formula and your resting heart rate to create HR% zones (although some are programmable), yes this method is no where near accurate for cycling and just a guide, you should really have a threshold test to determine your actual max HR, if you want to train like a pro then British cycling HR zones are totally different to the HRZ's worked out by the HR monitors, but as we are not team sky material, the HRMonitors zones are what most people work to.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
the majority of HR monitors work on that formula and your resting heart rate to create HR% zones (although some are programmable), yes this method is no where near accurate for cycling and just a guide, you should really have a threshold test to determine your actual max HR, if you want to train like a pro then British cycling HR zones are totally different to the HRZ's worked out by the HR monitors, but as we are not team sky material, the HRMonitors zones are what most people work to.
No they dont as HRM's don't have a formula. All they do is broadcast data from your chest or wrist to a head unit.

OP
OP
callummac

callummac

Regular
The HRM I have is simply a dumb ANT+ device, I am using it simply for reference, currently not bothering with the heart rate zones on the bike computer, using it simply as a reference and nothing more.

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
No they don't. ie: my garmin and others is based on resting and max. Numbers that I have told it.

Nothing to do with 220-age
Actually if you have put your age into the garmin as default setting it will use the 220-age formula for the heartrate zones if you do not know your max HR, you also have the option to put in your own heart rates or percentages if you wish to do so.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Actually if you have put your age into the garmin as default setting it will use the 220-age formula for the heartrate zones if you do not know your max HR, you also have the option to put in your own heart rates or percentages if you wish to do so.
Which again is nonsense. Zones require resting HR

98 (160 x 240).jpg

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
I never said they didn't, I said if you have put your age into the garmin as a default setting it will use the 220-age formula for the heartrate zones if you do not know your max HR, you are unlikely to know resting hence omitting it

T.M.H.N.E.T

I never said they didn't, I said if you have put your age into the garmin as a default setting it will use the 220-age formula for the heartrate zones if you do not know your max HR, you are unlikely to know resting hence omitting it
HR zones require resting and MAXHR to be input. Talk of zones doesn't apply until you have those values whether 220-age is used or not.

And, you cannot use 220-age alone.

And, 220-age was proven many years ago to be a load of crap.

If you're going to ride to/by HR why not have the most accurate numbers you can get instead of guessing?

Last edited:
I'm empathetic to your current situation. I was a dress size 26 with a body mass sitting at around 18 stone. Now, for a couple of years I enjoyed cycling even though I struggled to find cycling clothes to fit my bulk. However I eventually faced reality that I was risking my future health.

Are you cycling to become fitter or to loose mass? If it's the latter then cycling won't help alone, you need to get your eating habits under control.

My advice is throw out the scales (except for to weigh out the pasta), the heart monitors. Eat healthy, reduce the wheat intake and just enjoy cycling.

Take it slowly, the quicker you loose the mass, the quicker it could all piles back on.

I have managed to keep my target size 14 for a year and a half. Healthy eating is norm. I do supplement with amino acids that are missing from my vegetarian diet and I honestly believe they have contributed to my mass loss, but that's another thread/topic.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Sounds to me that you've already got the plan sorted. Stop eating crap and eat (somewhat) healthily and I dare say a bit less, and do a reasonable amount of exercise - and over time, good things will come.

Whilst I'm no expert, I'd be very sceptical of novelty diets (eg Atkins, or special supplements), but stick to a sensible amount of sensible food and you can't go far wrong. Losing weight slowly is almost certainly far better for you than starving yourself thin all of a sudden - which would also probably limit the exercise as you'd be knackered all the time.

Obvious stuff like cutting out beer, junk food, fizzy pop, sweets etc is obviously "a good thing", as is more fruit and veg and more "wholesome" stuff generally

Whilst I've always been fairly thin, I did find by simply cycling to work (round trip maybe 15 miles) fairly briskly and (continuing) to eat somewhat sensible lost a couple of inches off my middle without any real sacrifice, and though I wouldn't say I had a weight problem I was spreading a bit due to middle age and general laziness.

Mrs M

Guru
:hello:Hello and well done on your progress so far, also congrats on the wee one, she's a cutie!
I would second lots of advice already given. Ditch the gadgets, have fun, don't obsess and try to eat as healthily as possible. Could try mostly fruit and veg with minimal white meat, the 5:2 diet works, folks at work sticking to it and results are impressive.
PS Think the Synapse disc is a lovely bike, all the best.

OP
OP
callummac

callummac

Regular
@Turdus philomelos My initial aim is to become fitter, not massively, but enough so that i feel comfortable. Once I reach a comfortable level of fitness I will be going all out to lose the fat I have built up. Once again I reach a reasonable level of body fat I will look at increasing my fitness at that point. SO basically a 3 stage approach, gain a baseline, beat the flab then increase the fitness.

@Profpointy - I have cut out basically all the crap, moved over to eating more fruit when I feel snackish, meals mainly consist of vegetables but always have some form of protein with my main meal. I think at the moment whilst I am trying to gain a baseline I need to ensure I am eating enough that I am not nackered, but need to ensure I watch what I am actually eating. The MyFitnessPal app seems to be good as I am able to scan the packaging of ingredients and use this information to download nutritional info on the food. So I can "roughly" work out what I am eating. The biggest thing I am finding difficult is the fizzy juice. I have essentially lived on the stuff for years now. As a Scot I am really missing the Iron-Brew but so far I am finding all other aspects of the eating plan enjoyable. Mentally I am feeling great and physically I am starting to notice that I don't get tired as quickly. On average I am doing about 10 miles in a 50 minute period doing laps of my local park. The park has flats, climbs, downhills, and it is easy to mix up the route.

@Mrs M - So far my new eating plan is mainly veg, I think I would consider the 5:2 at some point down the line but need to make sure for the moment that my plan to build a baseline isn't hampered by too little fuel intake. I am drooling at the Synapse to be honest, but at the moment I can't decide if I will be more of a trail/cycle/dirt path rider or a road rider, I wouldn't want to take a Synapse on a dirt trail so need to decide if I want to go the MTB route or the Road bike route.

@ALL - Thanks for all the kind words and advice. I appreciate it loads.

Mrs M

Guru
Have a look at the Cube cyclocross bike, nice looking and good spec and value for £. Hubby has a Cube hybrid and I borrow it sometimes to go where my road bike can't. If you choose the Synapse could maybe get fatter tyres but something you'd need to check on. Have fun choosing though!

OP
OP
callummac

callummac

Regular
@Mrs M I hadn't even heard of Cyclocross!!! Had a look and this bike has just about everything I am looking for. Think you have converted me here. I want the flexibility of something between a mountain bike and an all out road bike. I have many cycle paths in my area and although they are tarmac'd I wouldn't feel too comfortable with a road bike with skinny tyres. Something like the Cyclocross bikes is what I think I need.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products...a-disc-2015-cyclocross-bike-ec071034#features

Top Bottom