Obese guy - recently started cycling - need advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

callummac

Regular
Hi All,
I would like to introduce myself and see if I can get some help/assistance. I started cycling again after a long..... LONG time away from doing any proper exercise. I am 30 years old, 6 ft and weigh about 126 kg (as of this morning 19 st 8). I used to be a very active person but lifestyle and my own laziness got in the way and I have increased from 15 st 5 at the peak of my fitness with 5% body fat (I was a rugby player who also did rowing) to almost 20 stones at my heaviest (this was in my opinion a fat increase, not a muscle increase). During this massive increase in weight I can wholeheartedly say it was my own fault. I didn't exercise enough, would spend hours in front of my PC gaming and ate crap. Takeaways every night, no breakfast, fizzy juice instead of water, eating last thing at night, just about everything you SHOULDN'T be doing. Recently my wife and I had our first baby and it has really opened my eyes and made me realise that my life isn't on track and that I need to sort this if I want to reach my 50th birthday!

I used to be the type of cyclist that thought that speed/gear was the most important thing. I recently realised I had been approaching this wrong and that being in the proper gear to feel pushed whilst maintaining cadence is far more important.

I have recently purchased a heart strap and cycle computer that feeds back my cadence/speed. I am trying to use both of these to ensure I am actually working instead of pottering about on the bike. I have noticed a few things that concerns me.

1 - Even though my resting heart rate is about 70, when I start cycling on my bike I have noted that it can go as high as 205
2 - Whilst cycling my heart rate can be anywhere from about 150-180, but will go much higher on hills (again averaging between 180 - 195.
3 - I am trying to keep my cadence at around 60 on hills, 80-90 on flats and will compensate my gear accordingly.

I have also noticed something that has kind of taken the wind out of my sails, even though I am feeling better and fitter, I actually put on weight before slowly starting to drop it back off. At the start I went from 19S10 to 19s12. I would love to attribute this to over-eating but as I realised that my diet was one of my main problems I had taken steps to sort that, trying to reduce my fat intake whilst ensuring my carbs come from relatively healthy sources. I have also completely cut out the fizzy juice and the only drink I take with me whilst cycling is an electrolyte drink that has no calories. To put it into perspective, yesterday I had apple/grape porrige for breakfast, Carrot and Coriander soup for Lunch and been enchiladas for dinner. I also consumed about 1000ml of water and 700ml of water with one of the zero electrolyte tabs I mentioned. I also went out in the bike for about an hour, the computer although set up correctly recorded my effort as 1100 calories (which I don't for one second believe). I pushed myself hard and felt very good when I came home. Good as in I worked hard, felt the burn and feel mentally good about it also.

I am also very reluctant to go down the route of fat burning shakes, or powders. Whilst I feel I am an educated guy, I don't personally believe that these make any difference, or if they do they have some pretty scary ingredients that I don't want to be using. I am looking to see if anyone knows of foods that are high in protein but low in carbs/fat and relatively healthy for you. I realised that based on yesterday's food intake my protein intake was lacking.

With regards to my equipment, the bike is very heavy and the bike is a BTWIN Original 500, I will replace this later on, but due to my weight I wanted to make sure I would actually start to shift the fat before I went out and spent money. I am using clipless pedals/shoes but everything else is stock.

Can anyone advise if I am approaching this correctly. My #1 goal is to lose fat, but I want to feel physically better. I don't want to be nackered getting to the top of a flight of stairs and even though my fitness has increased, I know I have a long, long way to go.

Thanks all

Callum

Last edited:

Libby

You've made a great start! Everyone's max HR is different so I would try and cycle on feel for now and not worry about it too much (although it maybe worth seeing your gp to see what he thinks about HR going that high).
For now focus on getting out and enjoying the bike. Push hard on the days you feel you can, back off a bit on the days you're not feeling it.
Regarding food, I would suggest stay away from processed food as much as possible. Allow yourself a few treats a week (remember that any change that you make should be a change that you can see yourself maintaining for life so keep it realistic). I found a book on paleo diet for athletes was brilliant. Very interesting and made me think much more about not just what I ate but when.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
If you're 30, I wouldn't be too worried about a 205 HR. I'm 44, and have seen mine at 191 ish. It not dropping below 150 isn't a problem, either, I don't think mine gets below 140 if I'm riding.

It sounds like you're on the right track. An hour or two a few times a week, and sensible diet, then build up the mileage and intensity as you get used to it. The weight should start dropping off, for sure.

Fubar

Guru
Hi

Well done for starting, don't worry about why you got to where you were (you're not alone ;)) just accept you are now working towards a goal.

I would say that don't rely too much on the HRM, I doubt they are 100% wholly reliable (I find my HR spikes sometimes), and it's normal for your HR to go up when going up hills, means you're working!

From my experience I would keep track of calories in v. calories out (I used an app called MyFitnessPal, others are available), try increasing your time on the bike or if restricted to 1 hour, your speed - I used to do a 16 mile loop when I started out and the aim was to do it in under an hour. Keep records of how fast you go, distance, cadence, etc for comparison. Be careful to eat enough to ensure you don't "bonk" on a ride, as for protein many swear by a chocolate milkshake at the end of a ride. Doing other exercise helps just to mix it up so perhaps running, joining a gym or even brisk walking - I try to do something everyday with one rest day a week.

Be warned though it does take time - they don't call them Marginal Gains for nothing! Have a realistic but challenging target of the weight you want to get to and have milestones along the way, but don't be too disheartened if you don't hit them so long as you are progressing.

The Weight Watchers thread on here is excellent for sharing and inspiration, keep us posted and good luck! Regards, Mark

I admire your thorough approach and can identify with your child being a motivation for you. The universe has a new centre, does it not!

I had a similar sort of problem to yours, but in my case the lard was going on due to stress-related drinking, (as well as pigging too much). A cardio problem combined with some brusque advice from a surgeon got me started. Cycling was originally only part of my regime. I cut out a fair bit of food and a lot of drink and set myself to do some sort of exercise every day. As time went on, the Kgs decreased and my belly diminished. I could run up stairs again! My weight has been stable now for two years - still a bit too much in my book, but the Doc is happy that I have "redistributed" as I have never been so muscular. I cycle between 100 and 180 km a week and do an aerobics class and some weights.
You will find it hard to keep your motivation working on your own. You might also want to work towards a lighter faster bike as you will use it more - keep that motivation! If you can find a training partner or even join a club it will be easier for you.
Congratulations on starting. That really is the hardest bit - you have accepted you have a problem and want to do something about it. The second hardest is keeping it going.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Well done!
Ditch the HRM
Ditch the Computer
Relax and enjoy the world
Read Cyclecraft
Ride for fun, start gently for at least the first 10 mins.
60 is too low a cadence for a big guy, choose a lower gear and go for closer to 80/90
Don't fight hills, take 'em easy.
Find a riding buddy
Yes your weight will increase a little as you generate a bit of muscle.
Don't overcompensate on food for riding. On a reasonable Brekkie you can go probably 30 miles just on water and no additional energy intake.
Completely give up sugar, fizzy drinks, cake, pies, pizza, lower intake of pasta bread and rice. Make the balance with good protein and plenty fresh fruit and veg.
Start saving for a new bike. :-)

OP
OP
callummac

callummac

Regular
Thanks to everyone for the kind responses.

@Libby & @raleighnut A quick word with the doc won't hurt anyone, so perhaps a phone appointment to see what he things. With the HR thing, it goes up to say 205 only at the very peak of effort and only for a few seconds, then comes back down fairly quickly.

@User13710 - Having a watch just now, that is pretty amazing!!!

@Fubar - I am using Endomondo as I am using my android phone for tracking and unfortunately some of the other better known apps aren't ant+ on android, also using myFitnessPal for tracking food and such.

I fully expect it to be hard for me to get to where I want to be, wouldn't mind getting sub 16 stone and seeing what I can do from there. So long as my fat diminishes I will be happy :smile:

@Apollonius - Agreed that my universe now has a centre, can't even remember what life was like without her :biggrin:

@Everyone :biggrin:, what are your thoughts on the BTWIN Triban 500 or the Canondale Synapse 5 disk 105??

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
1 - Even though my resting heart rate is about 70, when I start cycling on my bike I have noted that it can go as high as 205
2 - Whilst cycling my heart rate can be anywhere from about 150-180, but will go much higher on hills (again averaging between 180 - 195.
3 - I am trying to keep my cadence at around 60 on hills, 80-90 on flats and will compensate my gear accordingly.
Callum
1: You're unfit
2: You're unfit
3: Cool

Overall well done.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I'd second looking at the sticky from gb155 above.

If you want to scare yourself, do a quick conversion of calories to fat. This will tell you how much weight you will loose if you do a 1,000 calorie ride.

So where do you go then?
Well, my advice (for what it is worth, I'm a skinny person who eats way too much for their exercise level), is to realise you are in it for the long haul. Forget the gadgets, and find enjoyment on a bike. Seek the countryside, picnics, Sportives and Audaxes, social rides, utility rides, commutes. Make cycling a lifestyle rather than an add-on. Then the weight will start to come off gradually, but steadily. Challenge yourself. No hill is too steep to be climbed, and no ride is too long to attempt, although some will have to be put into the "Pending" tray for a while.
And in a while you will find yourself not thinner, not fitter, but different. You will see life differently, you will behave differently, and you will look differently. And better.
And give your little girl a cuddle. I have a 2-year-old. Can't believe how great it is to be a Dad!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Hi & :welcome: to CC. It sounds like you have really thought about this and have made a great start.

I would say not to get hung up on the stats and to just ride. I do have a Garmin on my bike and it's handy to see the average mph, heart rate, calories burned etc but I find it more important to have it for those 'where the heck am I and how do I get home' moments.

Once cycling has become a habit, it will get easier. The Triban is a nice bike, it could have been worse. I started off on an Apollo XC26 and I put some miles on that hefty thing. I have got a better bike since. They weight will shift with exercise and watching your diet. I do the 5:2 thing and find it helpful for me.

+1 for reading the sticky from @gb155 It helped my husband go from 110kg to 95kg by riding his bike.

nappadang

Über Member
Well done!
Ditch the HRM
Ditch the Computer
Relax and enjoy the world
Read Cyclecraft
Ride for fun, start gently for at least the first 10 mins.
60 is too low a cadence for a big guy, choose a lower gear and go for closer to 80/90
Don't fight hills, take 'em easy.
Find a riding buddy
Yes your weight will increase a little as you generate a bit of muscle.
Don't overcompensate on food for riding. On a reasonable Brekkie you can go probably 30 miles just on water and no additional energy intake.
Completely give up sugar, fizzy drinks, cake, pies, pizza, lower intake of pasta bread and rice. Make the balance with good protein and plenty fresh fruit and veg.
Start saving for a new bike. :-)
This, exactly for me. Sound advice but a cheeky beer now and again is OK for medicinal purposes.
Keep it up mate, you've made a great start.

Top Bottom