Obese Rider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Hello,

Im just looking for a bit advice. Im 27 stone and im sick of it. I used to ride bicycles as a kid and for the past 25 years i haven't. I tried a cheap steel mountain bike, but i struggle with it. A lot is fitness of course and the lack of it, but im struggling to stay on the thing, i think im just so big. I've been looking at the mission industrial tricycle which has a limit of 30 stone, would provide a more stable low speed platform and i can get about. Is this line of thinking something that is worth considering? Would i be a danger on the roads? I figure im not much wider than a tourer with panniers on perhaps? Perhaps there is something else i could consider? My budget isn't huge, i couldn't afford a recumbent, even if they could support my weight.

Thanks for any input in advance.

Dave.

Hi Dave, am new here too, taking up cycling after a very long break.
I wouldn’t get a mountain bike if I were you, good strong machine
with wide tyres and plenty of spokes in the wheels, and take it easy.
Plenty of gears would help too, low ones that is.
I got me a second hand flat bar bike with 27 gears, I find myself only
using the 5 fastest and the two largest rings on the crank rings, that leaves
me plenty for when I hit the hills at some point.
Set some goals, and see how you get on.

You could also do what I have been doing, start walking, it gets the body used to
being under pressure, gets the lungs going, especially the up hill stretches, again
just take it easy at the start.

Hey Dave! Being that heavy, honestly you would need a large budget to get on the road if you ask me. Not only will you need to get the bike but you will need better wheels built to support your weight. That can cost as much as the bike itself.

If I were you, I would take up walking, jogging till you get the weight down. Being American, I think you are 378 pounds. You will destroy wheels and it will cost you money.

On the other hand, I have a buddy that I met on a cycling forum. I used to ride up the mountains a lot. I was doing a 20 mile climb with 5,000 ft gain. He said he could only dream of it. BULL! He was 310 pounds and thought it never possible. We went half way up the first time with a Clydesdale/Athena group. All heavy riders, men and women. 8 miles 2,100 ft gain.

After that he realized I was correct. Few months later we did the full 21 mile climb with 5,000 ft. He was very excited with his accomplishment.

So I do think it is possible to ride at your weight, even a little less might turn you into a 300 pound animal on the bike, but I do believe a limiting factor for many big riders is the wheel. I know this guy has spend hundreds of dollars having more durable wheels built.

I myself was tearing up many stock wheels and some hand built 23 mm deep wheels by local pro shops.

I did discover the Velocity Deep V rim. 30 mm deep, 32 spoke suit me fine but expensive having to pay a builder. Well, expensive for a new cyclist before he realizes the value of custom wheels.

Thankfully I started building my own so I could get away with a hand built wheel for $125.....But before I started building my own, I was paying $60 for the hoop, $100 for the hub, $30 for spokes, then $65 for labor. Maybe $250 for ONE wheel.

That was for a road bike. Maybe a little more inexpensive for a mountain bike type.

But even my 300 pound buddy spends good money for custom wheels to continue riding. He has now actually learned to build his own to save money.

Would love for you to get on a bike but honestly, at your weight, I would say lose some first and be prepared to spend some big money on wheels.

I'd bet that is the biggest factor discouraging big riders. Spending money on wheels. Especially for riders that spend $300 on a bike then find out they have to spend another $300 for a wheel that won't break after 400 miles.

Tricycles have a few advantages, spreading the load over more wheels, and smaller diameter wheels are stronger.
You can find them used under £300.
You wont go very fast but you will get excercise.
Cornering in a trike is very different to a bicycle.

Trikes on the road seem to get enough passing clearance from cars.

Riding will be much better excercise than walking or jogging at your weight esp for your knees.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I would actually recommend getting in the gym, getting in the weights section, weights will tone and burn fat....Also getting to bootcamps and swimming (low impact on joints which may already be strained). All gradually, also looking at diet, cut sugar and processed food gradually and factor in more Paleo themed food.

Then start to factor in cycling. As mentioned above, it's been to start losing weight before getting on the bike...I hope this helps - we are all here to support you! :shy:

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I was 16 stone and I'm now 10. From my experience, to avoid knee problems, I would focus on low impact cardio exercise such as hill walking, swimming and exercise bikes. Consider asking about the weight limit at your local gym vs just hopping on. I would combine this with a calorie controlled diet. Over a 2 year period you should be able to loose between 10 and 15 stone depending on health problems and how much you want to loose. After the loss I would look at doing higher impact exercise such as jogging and boot camp style classes. I would also do road cycling from a point in the diet where it just "feels right".

Last edited:

Joffey

Big Dosser
Hi Dave

Give a trike a go and if you damage the wheels then look at getting some hand built. In my experience as a heavy rider some wheels cope much better than others - you might be lucky with your purchase and it has some bomb proof wheels on there already. Plus like what was said earlier, the weight is split over 3 wheels so it sounds ideal.

The main thing is don't be put off by your size. You have the motivation to do something about your weight so whilst you have that get something bought and get on the road. With hard work you will see real changes and it's great to feel free again as you cycle longer distances. Any exercise is better than no exercise!

Good luck Dave!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We had our very own 39 stone cyclist, and he got down to normal levels. I met him a few times on my commute and actually helped him build up a road bike when he lost a lot of his weight. If you google 39 stone cyclist, you may find some of his old blogs on the internet. He started out on an old mountain bike. That's potentially the best way - it's not easy, but the bike will be strong. Little and often is the key, so don't go all out trying long distances once in a blue moon, a short ride every day is better.

vickster

Legendary Member
You don’t mention how you’ve modified your diet which as above needs to be assessed and changed (in combination with starting to exercise in a considered way as suggested)
If you’re finding it hard to reduce your calorie intake maybe give Slimming World a go where you can get support, encouragement and help.
It’s not as easy as just getting on a bike (I wish it were), you’ll need to look at your whole lifestyle.
Good luck

Trikes are great but very hefty.

Mission make an aluminium framed trike which should be a reasonable weight. Many of the heavier ones are cargo carriers so overbuilt. Some are just made with low end steel and plenty of it for sufficient strength. Racing trikes are a breed apart, custom made from lightweight steel tubes to go fast.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Mission make an aluminium framed trike which should be a reasonable weight. Many of the heavier ones are cargo carriers so overbuilt. Some are just made with low end steel and plenty of it for sufficient strength. Racing trikes are a breed apart, custom made from lightweight steel tubes to go fast.
I've been looking at the mission industrial tricycle which has a limit of 30 stone,

I don't think that's the Aluminium framed one. :whistle:

Top Bottom