Obese Rider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A thought, where I use to live there was a park, actually called Alan Park after the river, where they hired out bikes for the disabled, most were three wheel jobs, all seemed hefty, and the advantage with three wheels you can go slow without falling off, these had very low gears.

The mountain bike clearly good, but depends on location. I have used the canal tow paths as level and so gets one started, but they vary so much, tried the Shropshire Union (Llangollen) Chirk to Montgomery and some parts were unridable but once on the Montgomery canal a lot better, there are also old railway lines, Shotton to Chester (except for the bridge which is a little steep) and the Dolgellau to Barmouth is very good.

I found being able to sit down I could get my exercise, not as heavy as you, but I was, well still am on the heavy side, wife has an electric bike, but weight limit is a problem, the Gtec bike has a very low maximum weight. However once your weight is down a bit they do open up what routes can be used, I find under 4 MPH balance becomes a problem, does not matter how low the gears will go, if you can't balance then can't ride it. That was where the electric came in it allowed me to go just that little faster on inclines.

As well as mountain bikes, shop bikes are also designed to take extra weight, they are low geared and sturdy. Other option old moped with motor removed, again very low gearing and will take the weight.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
I would actually recommend getting in the gym, getting in the weights section, weights will tone and burn fat....Also getting to bootcamps and swimming (low impact on joints which may already be strained). All gradually, also looking at diet, cut sugar and processed food gradually and factor in more Paleo themed food.

Then start to factor in cycling. As mentioned above, it's been to start losing weight before getting on the bike...I hope this helps - we are all here to support you! :shy:

Think that’s excellent advice from Charlotte. If you have space at home, get yourself some weights and a weight bench and cut out the gym fees. I reduced from about 23st down to just over 12st a few years ago just by weightlifting six days a week. As I reduced in size I gradually introduced longer and longer walks into my regime and eventually rediscovered my love of cycling at about the 14st mark. I’ve hovered around the 12st mark now for 8 or 9 years. No dieting was ever involved n this process! But it’s not a quick fix and took 3-4 years to shed the weight.

vickster

Legendary Member
Think that’s excellent advice from Charlotte. If you have space at home, get yourself some weights and a weight bench and cut out the gym fees. I reduced from about 23st down to just over 12st a few years ago just by weightlifting six days a week. As I reduced in size I gradually introduced longer and longer walks into my regime and eventually rediscovered my love of cycling at about the 14st mark. I’ve hovered around the 12st mark now for 8 or 9 years. No dieting was ever involved n this process! But it’s not a quick fix and took 3-4 years to shed the weight.
I’m assuming you changed your diet / calorie intake and food related lifestyle too...not just lifted weights to lose half your body weight :smile:

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
I’m assuming you changed your diet / calorie intake and food related lifestyle too...not just lifted weights to lose half your body weight :smile:

Vickster - not really. People don’t really believe me when I say this, but it’s true.Today’s diet (as far as I can remember!): very large bowl of porridge with two tablespoons of honey, several handfuls of Jordan’s cereal a little later because a still felt hungry, a kit-kat, one banana, one apple, scrambled egg on toast with mushrooms and tomatoes and lashings of tomato ketchup, one packet of crisps, and one small bowl of cereal with Greek style yoghurt and honey.

vickster

Legendary Member
But what did you eat (or drink) when 23 stone. I very much doubt a sedentary lifestyle was the only reason. Unless you have an abnormal metabolism or have changed your job to an extremely manual one?

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Probably did eat more when that weight Vickster. Just pointing out that - in my experience - it’s not necessary to diet to lose weight.
Took early retirement after a serious accident, so not working now, but remain fairly active. This week past and future:

Sunday - 7-8 miles walking the dog in the morning, 1hr weights in the evening
Monday - 4-5 miles walking, 27 miles on the bike in the evening
Tuesday - 4-5 miles walking, weights in the evening
Today - 6-7 miles morning walk, weights in evening (was gonna ride, but it’s raining!)
Thursday - 4-5 miles morning walk, 25-30 miles on the bike in the evening
Friday - 4-5 miles walking, weights in the evening
Saturday - 2-3 miles early morning walk, 60-70 miles club run.

vickster

Legendary Member
So you didn't just lose the weight using weights then as implied :smile: You look to be doing at least 3 hours of exercise a day? Which may or may not be compatible with the OP's lifestyle and thus more attention to diet will clearly be needed if not burning calories through activity

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Losing weight is mostly diet in my opinion, probably 80%, unless you are doing a huge amount of cardio. It's not quite as simple as 'calories in calories out', but you can't out train a bad diet as they say. Stuff like weight training will massively improve your fitness though. I struggle to lose weight but am far fitter than I was, just from doing weights at the gym.

I think low carb is the easiest way to lose weight, and seems to work especially well for men. Dr Gary Taubman has a good book called 'Why We Get Fat' which explains why carb calories are worse than other kinds of calories. I forget the exact science - they turn to fat more quickly rather than glycogen, I think - but it was quite convincing.

OP
OP
HMS_Dave

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Hello everybody. Thanks so much for the kind replies and input. I should just add a few things. I recently developed Plantar Faciitis in both feet which makes walking and standing a long time painful on the heels, particularly the next day. Cycling, whatever i could fit on, would be far easier, i could exercise longer and harder. I know there are gyms with huge machines that happily support my weight but i want this to be a lifestyle change that gets me out and about in the world and what better way than than on my own steam (even if i don't get far at first) and not using the family car. On my diet, Currently, im just doing very basic strength exercises at home on my legs and upper body and i have adjusted my diet. Nothing special or exotic, just Im avoided bread, sugars, biscuits, cakes and monitoring my calories using samsung health app on my phone. A Tricycle thinking more about it could actually be of use long after i lose weight which i could use to replace many of my car journeys where i need some luggage space. Also, thanks for the link to the 39stonecyclist. What an amazing guy and transformation. Sadly, though his last few posts a while ago has succumbed to illness and is no longer able to ride a bike. :sad:. I would love to be able to speak to him for advice.

Thanks everybody :okay:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Hi.
Re your plantar fasciitis.
Get some orthitics for your shoes. I had them when I developed it. Transformation in my life was amazing.
I wear Birkenstock’s the whole time now as I have Morton’s Neuroma but, because of the footbed shape of the shoe, I can run, walk and ride as normal.

Good luck on your bike quest.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi.
Get some orthitics for your shoes. I had them when I developed it. Transformation in my life was amazing.
I wear Birkenstock’s the whole time now as I have Morton’s Neuroma but, because of the footbed shape of the shoe, I can run, walk and ride as normal.

And for the PF don't neglect the heel hangs off a step, calf stretches and rolling the golf ball under your feet (or a tennis ball if too painful initially)

OP
OP
HMS_Dave

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Hi.

And for the PF don't neglect the heel hangs off a step, calf stretches and rolling the golf ball under your feet (or a tennis ball if too painful initially)

Thanks for the advice. This is something i will definitely give a go.

Cheers.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the advice. This is something i will definitely give a go.

Cheers.
Might be worth seeing a physio (likely need to be private) if it doesn’t ease in a few weeks
Gel heel supports or the PF orthotics mentioned above are also helpful I found

And rubbing in voltaren gel before bed (assuming you have no intolerance or gut issues)

And ice of course

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Might be worth seeing a physio (likely need to be private) if it doesn’t ease in a few weeks
Gel heel supports or the PF orthotics mentioned above are also helpful I found

And rubbing in voltaren gel before bed (assuming you have no intolerance or gut issues)

And ice of course
Or renal issues

I figure im not much wider than a tourer with panniers on perhaps?
I ride a recumbent trike.

As you say standing still, a trike is about the same width as a bike.
But trikes ride a lot wider than bikes on the road.
You don't want to ride in the gutter due to risk of puncture.
So your left hand wheel is roughly on the same line as a bikes wheels.
This puts the middle wheel in line with the outside of the handlebars and the right hand wheel roughly another 18" further out.
But this extra width means that you normally ride almost in a primary position.
So you tend to get better overtakes because cars have to pull out further to get passed you.
So DON'T let this fact put you off getting one if you can.

Cycling alone is not likely to cause you to lose much weight.
But as a part of a lifestyle change it can/will be a great help.
Even if it's just getting you out of the house every day.

Luck ............. :biggrin:

Top Bottom