Obesity...can we blame the food industry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Nay walker, she mean 10stone (or more) over the weight you should be. I think.

Hmm, I think we can partially blame the food industry. Ultimately yes it's about human nature and self-control, but there are things that sway the amount of self-control you have to exercise (no pun intended). Also let's face it we buy the things that taste good and eat more of these things, therefore more money is generated on these products, so there becomes more choice, more cash to advertise with, more franchises spring up etc etc etc.

I shop at Asda and more often than not the fruit and veg section is crap. I found the same at Tesco. In fact that was the reason I eventually decided to go further, to Asda. It's true that there are more options with fruit and veg now than ever before, but there are also more options with all the less healthy products.

Am loving the idea that working less would make the nation healthier. Look at how the majority spend their free time now. Scotland is one of (if not the) unhealthiest countries in Europe. It's the culture that needs changed.

And part of our culture is what's on offer to us and how it's sold to us.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
S'true about both the industry, and the individual choice. I am always struck, when I go abroad (for work mebbe 3 times a year, Yoorp mostly) how much more non-working time your average Italian, Spaniard, German seems to have, how much more exercise they seem to take, and how much better they take the trouble to eat. "Take the trouble" is important here, because cooking a meal from fresh ingredients is usually cheaper, tastier and quicker than farting around with "fast" (shite) food. Mrs Fnaar and I both work (me f/t her nearly f/t) but we manage to cook for kids every day...it ain't that hard. Looking around on my way to work this morning, it struck me that one could make a fortune by placing a shop selling pies,pasties and cola only*, near each bus station/train station. The amount of people for whom this seems to constitute "breakfast" (eat it while waddling down the street, throw the wrappers on the floor) is astounding! :biggrin:

*Greggs have beaten me to it, but they spoil the purity of my idea by also selling cakes.

Not sure time at work is that much of a factor....example, Mr Morrisette gets in at 6.45, we cut up some veg, we cook some pasta, we stir fry the veg with quorn/meat/tofu/fish/whatever, we eat dinner at 7.30. I NEVER make anything that takes more than half an hour to prepare, apart from the occasional Sunday lunch/xmas dinner. I think we have a healthy diet. And Mr Morrisette comes from the Valleys, a pasty shop every 50 yards type village. He wasn't sure about tofu at first but I convinced him mwah ha haaaa.....

walker

I think if your lucky to get home before 7.00 your ok, some of us don't and to add at least an hour on top of that to go to the gym, I'm not eating till around 9. At that time I don't want to start cooking, But I do sometimes make something in the morning ready to stick in the Microwave when I get in.

walker said:
but will they? if you take a place like Australia, where the hours are less than here, everyone seems to manage 4-5 hours a day of physical exercise.

You obviously have never visited Australia, they ahev the same problems as here and when they get big, they get very big!!

Tetedelacourse

walker said:
I think if your lucky to get home before 7.00 your ok, some of us don't and to add at least an hour on top of that to go to the gym, I'm not eating till around 9. At that time I don't want to start cooking, But I do sometimes make something in the morning ready to stick in the Microwave when I get in.

Good grief! I can see why you want a reduction in hours!:rolleyes:

Home any time after 5pm is a disaster for me.:biggrin: Mind you the gym can GTF:biggrin:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
cycling to work has done wonders for me…

walker

Trembler49 said:
You obviously have never visited Australia, they ahev the same problems as here and when they get big, they get very big!!

Oh yeah I know that too, they have the same thing as the US where food is that cheap you can stuff your face for all eternity. But the government at the moment are trying to nip that in the bud and has put out adverts telling the public they are getting fat (outright too) and to do more exercise.

Tetedelacourse

walker said:
Oh yeah I know that too, they have the same thing as the US where food is that cheap you can stuff your face for all eternity. But the government at the moment are trying to nip that in the bud and has put out adverts telling the public they are getting fat (outright too) and to do more exercise.

Yeah meanwhile dubya is pottering about on a Segway:biggrin:

I think more blame should rest with the education authority for not equiping people to be able to feed themselves properly.

Last year I basically taught my housemate to cook, he had no idea at all. One of his most frequent comments was "wow, thats so easy" - Yes it is! Cooking is not rocket science, sticking a fish in some tinfoil in the oven for 15 mins is just as easy as doing it to a pizza! People just need to realise this.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
walker said:
I always used to pish my self laughin when my doc used to say " how many hours do you spend exercising / in the gym per week ?"

Answer " I feckin work for a living so probably 60 hours +".

What's the point in driving to a gym to walk on a treadmill ? just feckin walk to the gym and back, £25 a month instantly better off.

Top Bottom