Obesity.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Something that gets me here is that a few want to lose a couple of stone, surely if they have not done so means they must want another cake more.

The time to change is now, the longer a habit lasts the harder it is to break.
Do you tell drunk people not to drink so much or smokers to stop it? For all your talk of this need to poke your nose into other peoples business being about wanting to help it is abundantly clear that it is nothing of the sort and just a reflection of some sort of insecurity on your part.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Why not skip the first part and just invite them for a ride for their enjoyment?
Where would be the fun in that. This is nothing about them and everything to do with him.

Blue

Legendary Member
That's enormously kind of you. Do you feel the need to point out other things in peoples lives that you think are wrong? Being fat is quite an obvious thing that shows to everyone.There are many other things that are hidden and cannot be seen. Do you ask people about them and offer advice? How would you feel about someone suggesting to you that you were going wrong some where in your life, completely out of the blue?

Being fat does have it's health risks for sure but I can assure you that pointing it out to people is not without it's dangers too.

Go on, get screenman to tell him he's a fat barsteward!!
th

Cyclopathic

Veteran
When I put this post up and contributed to the other one I knew certain people would give me some stick, at least though we are discussing a major subject.

Now my personal experience was people telling me I was fat, was what made me do something about it. We hear often that people get upset by words like these, well do they I did not, well not enough to make me want to eat more that is for sure.
Just a shame that people telling you it's none of your business hasn't had the same effect.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
She has a couple of Polish friends who I have met, she tells me that when she saw one of these friends after not seeing her for a couple of weeks, the Polish girl simply said "you are fat, why have you put weight on?".
Now my friend, far from being offended loved the straight talking to she got, she said it was very refreshing and wouldn't everyone benefit if more straight talking was done. Her words.
Is one of the problems we have in the UK that we tiptoe around the subject? I don't honestly know, but for sure something needs to happen.
Friends of ours told us how friends of theirs showed some visitors from Germany their newly decorated living room and asked for their opinion. The Germans were totally nonplussed by their friends' reaction when they said they thought it looked ghastly. Apparently across much of the Continent they have the bizarre idea that when you're asked your opinion, you should give it. Barbarians. Just one of the many reasons why....

The English, the English, the English are best!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdY1Y5XNJBY

Going the extra step, who's to say something at home isn't causing the eating?

As a kid, my sperm donor used to take semi-naked photos of me, to show me how fat I was. This would now be seen as mental cruelty among other things, as I knew I wasn't as slender he wanted me to be, but I used to play rugby (as previously said), used to be in the swimming pool more than the lifeguards (competition training - NOT lazing it up), cycling to and from school, swimming and anywhere else my bike took me, and still those photos were taken.
Those photos were found recently and my family all agreed that this shouldn't have been allowed to happen, because they had the adverse affect, I ate more to comfort myself.
In those days, Social Services were slow to react, slower to care, and always reversed when they met the sperm donor.

Without going further into things, as I entered my teens, I continued cycling, stopped playing rugby, but still swam in competitions, did triathlons for my cadet unit and continued to cycle everywhere, but those photos were still taken.

Never once did my sperm donor stop and look at both what he was saying and doing, and the amount of things I was doing, he could only see what he disagreed with. A bit like yourself.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions, of course, however sometimes they need to be kept to yourself. Think the old saying "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all".

Additionally, I think that only those who you won't take offence to (friends and family), should point out your weight gain, or any other foibles, otherwise they're likely to be met with strong comments or even worse back. I'd never comment to someone I didn't know about their smoking, drinking, drug habit, or anything else, because it's their business and someone else would've made the same observation.

Also, those saying about weight costing the NHS. Smoking, Alcohol and Drug abuse also cost the NHS, but you're failing to mention those services.
If at any point has my weight cost the NHS, I feel I've paid for it. I pay into the pot with my National Insurance contributions, it's almost like the mentality of "I pay road tax", so please drop those comments, only time they're valid is for the people who have never contributed by not working a day in their lives, and that's a whole different subject matter.

Might be worthwhile you stopping and thinking next time before pointing out the obvious to someone unknown.

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
How many of you people who say it is wrong to speak your mind are doing it here?

Also despite taking quite a knocking you might like to know I have not been upset by it.

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
The difference, screenman, is that you asked us for our opinions.
No, I asked how we should approach the problem, I have taken 6 pages of non idea replies.

Pointy boy

Über Member
No... You asked how it should be approached AND if we should even raise the subject... Which has been addressed by many of the replies...even if it wasn't the answer you wanted.

I was biting my tongue, ...but the absence of empathy, lack of understanding and the downright arrogance being displayed by a few on this thread is simply unpleasant.

Last edited:

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
If there's someone in your life you care about and their troublesome health worries you because you're scared it's hurting them, you can say how you feel.

I wouldn't want the people I care about to; be unmanageably stressed, take harmful drugs, drink excessive amounts of alcohol or have an unhealthy lifestyle, because I don't want them to be ill or die. If I express myself but that's what they still choose to do, then that's their choice. I still love and support them because my feelings for them are not conditional.

At the end of the day we are all in a position of being role models. My best friend has put on a large amount of weight in the last few years. We used to sit in and have a natter with hot chocolates and biscuits. When we arrange to catch up now I plan routes for us to walk our dogs and bring an extra bottle of water for him. I've never said anything about his weight but he's happy when we've had a good power walk. That's all I care about.

I don't feel directly saying anything negative ever really helps a situation. If someone wants to make a change they need to trust you and not feel judged. It's one thing to say 'I'd really enjoy your company if you came on a cycle with me' and whole other to say something derogatory.

Maybe you grew up in a critical environment so it seems normal to fault find. Maybe this is an opportunity of self awareness. Does it really make anyone feel good to tear down their self worth? Constructive criticism can be used when someone says, 'do you think I could improve my approach to a healthy lifestyle'. So unless it's directly asked for, use this as a rule of thumb... opinions are like bum holes, we've all got them so we don't need to hear about it.

Top Bottom