Obesity.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I wouldn't ever mock anyone doing exercise whatever their size, and realising that it takes much more effort both physically and mentally to do so.

I go to the gym in winter, often I'll watch the staff showing a fat person around, especially in the New Year. Often they do not join because they are intimidated by other gym users who they believe to be mocking them. The opposite is true! We all know walking through the door is the first and hardest step.

G3CWI

Veteran
I used to teach. Lots of fat kids at school, but no-one ever said a word. However, thin kids (unusually thin) were always flagged as possibly being at risk and their welfare investigated. Odd world we live in.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I used to teach. Lots of fat kids at school, but no-one ever said a word. However, thin kids (unusually thin) were always flagged as possibly being at risk and their welfare investigated. Odd world we live in.
Having been involved as a parent helping on a stall selling fruit before school, and I ended up reporting a child for stealing fruit to the deputy head (who was co-ordinating the healthy tuck stall), I found out that whilst she didn't condone the stealing, it was ok for him to have fruit if he asked as that family frequently arrived in school without being fed.

paddy01

Something that gets me here is that a few want to lose a couple of stone, surely if they have not done so means they must want another cake more.

The time to change is now, the longer a habit lasts the harder it is to break.

Yeah I might want to lose a couple of stone, but that's for pure vanity reasons, I'm heavier than I should be (according to BMI measurements alone) true, however there's nothing it stops me from doing, nor is it causing me any ill effects health wise as an otherwise fit and healthy person that quit smoking 7 years ago and doesn't drink or have any vice other than perhaps a bit more cake than I actually need to get through the day :smile:

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
Paddy01, so in reality you do not want to lose a couple of stone. How do you know what effect over a lifetime that extra weight will have on your body, I doubt if any of us do, there might even be a time when you need it to survive. However try my lift it and carry it idea, few people really think about how much 2 stone weighs and how hard it is to carry around all day. For sure if you had it in a rucksack you would have back ache at then end of the day..

I think some of you could do with a visit to say Boston in Lincolnshire to see how much of a problem obesity really is.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I think of excess weight in terms of kilo bags of sugar... currently I am still 7 bags of sugar heavier than I should be, mind I have already lost 7 bags of sugar.

If people tried picking up their equivalent overweight amount in sugar at the supermarket it would shock them!

The most disturbing thing about being heavier than we should be despite not appearing fat is the amount of dense body cavity fat there will be on the surface of our internal organs- the kidneys, liver, stomach and intestines... this is harder to lose and a lot of people look at themselves thinking that if they can 'pinch less than an inch' of skin, the excess weight must be muscle...

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've just been to the chemist to pick up my prescription of 2 cal. It's a diet supplement to aid weight gain as no matter how much i eat i can't gain weight. The chemist told me that my prescription has been cancelled by the doctor as "I should've gained weight by now"!:ohmy: How the bloody hell they can do this i don't know but off i went to the doctors for a rant,fighting my way past all the obese, health service money absorbents to have it out. I had a rant about the number of fatties and how much they cost then i was told that the prescription would be started again. Sometimes you've got to make a stand!

I don't usually even read these threads, however I heard something the other day that made me smile and reconsider much of what I had previously thought.
A very good friend of mine, a young woman in her twenties is currently trying to give up smoking, prior to this she had a lovely figure and tbh it isn't exactly bad now. She has a couple of Polish friends who I have met, she tells me that when she saw one of these friends after not seeing her for a couple of weeks, the Polish girl simply said "you are fat, why have you put weight on?".
Now my friend, far from being offended loved the straight talking to she got, she said it was very refreshing and wouldn't everyone benefit if more straight talking was done. Her words.
Is one of the problems we have in the UK that we tiptoe around the subject? I don't honestly know, but for sure something needs to happen.

Blue

Legendary Member
I don't usually even read these threads, however I heard something the other day that made me smile and reconsider much of what I had previously thought.
A very good friend of mine, a young woman in her twenties is currently trying to give up smoking, prior to this she had a lovely figure and tbh it isn't exactly bad now. She has a couple of Polish friends who I have met, she tells me that when she saw one of these friends after not seeing her for a couple of weeks, the Polish girl simply said "you are fat, why have you put weight on?".
Now my friend, far from being offended loved the straight talking to she got, she said it was very refreshing and wouldn't everyone benefit if more straight talking was done. Her words.
Is one of the problems we have in the UK that we tiptoe around the subject? I don't honestly know, but for sure something needs to happen.

Some 30 - 35 years ago, when I had a serious weight problem, I was showing a mate some photographs that included one of me leaning against a large tree. He took a look and said "you fat barsteward, I can't even see the tree behind you". I didn't mind at all as I had already started to implement the lifestyle changes that have kept me fit and slim ever since. Indeed that set of phographs had kicked me into action.

Sometimes people need something or someone to tell them about the problem is a blunt enough way to shake them out of their unhealthy routine. There is too much acceptance of the obesity problem. I think that many people know what to do but that their attitude needs to change before they can undertake what they know needs to be done.

Blue

Legendary Member
Do note though that in both cases these were friends making the comments, not strangers.
That wouldn't have made any difference to me. A fact is a fact no matter who quotes it.

Obesity is the concern of all as the many problems it causes eat so much of the money that we all pay in taxation.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
After being chastised on another post for telling a few NHS workers they were lardy, fat, obese I cannot remember the exact words I used, suffice to say a few did not agree with me.

So how should it be approached, should we bring the subject up with friends and relatives etc. or should we just ignore it and hope it goes away.

Child obesity is something I find really sad.
I'm pretty sure you don't need to tell some one that they are over weight. They will already know.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
So if I change my my tack and say, I am worried by your size would you like to borrow one of my bikes and come for a ride a couple of times a week, would that be
You are welcome to your opinion, which I happen to think is wrong.
That's enormously kind of you. Do you feel the need to point out other things in peoples lives that you think are wrong? Being fat is quite an obvious thing that shows to everyone.There are many other things that are hidden and cannot be seen. Do you ask people about them and offer advice? How would you feel about someone suggesting to you that you were going wrong some where in your life, completely out of the blue?

Being fat does have it's health risks for sure but I can assure you that pointing it out to people is not without it's dangers too.

Top Bottom