Obesity.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lullabelle

Banana
I have gained weight this year - unfortunately, as much as I would like to, I haven't been able to take it off through exercise, due to injury in a cycling accident, cycling which is supposed to help control weight. Ironic eh. The psychological impact of the accident has made things even harder with regards to food

There are often personal circumstances which an outside observer may not actually be aware of

I had an accident almost 6 years ago, severe sprain of the lateral ligament, started to recover then ended up with plantar fascitis in left foot then in the right foot which had the original injury. Exercise has been virtually zero for the past couple of years and so the pounds have piled on. A routine visit to see a nurse and she told me I was heavier than I really should be so I explained and she looked at me as though I was telling a lame excuse even though she had access to my records, the following year I was weighed again, definitely a bit heavier, by a different nurse and she said nothing about my weight. As you say personal circumstances ....

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
Can you not adjust your calorie intake in line with what you use up each day.

vickster

Legendary Member
Can you not adjust your calorie intake in line with what you use up each day.
Did you not read the whole post, it's not that simple, and how would I actually know how much I use. I have dieted, down to 1000-1200 calories a day and without exercise my weight stays static

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
Did you not read the whole post, it's not that simple, and how would I actually know how much I use. I have dieted, down to 1000-1200 calories a day and without exercise my weight stays static[
Did you not read the whole post, it's not that simple, and how would I actually know how much I use. I have dieted, down to 1000-1200 calories a day and without exercise my weight stays static

Sticking on that calorie account I doubt you would put weight on.

Ganymede

Veteran
Actually I had my resting metabolism measured recently. If I sat in a chair doing nothing all day I would use about 1300 calories. The person who did the test (a friend of mine) said that that was quite high and that most people use less. It's a really interesting thing to have done - but as I mentioned up thread this friend is a weight consultant and did it for free for me! Useful knowledge to have about yourself.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I wouldn't ever mock anyone doing exercise whatever their size, and realising that it takes much more effort both physically and mentally to do so. It's been great over the years on here to read about various people who have found that cycling is the exercise that has worked for them. But it won't be the answer for everyone.

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
I said it stays static

So if you had stayed on that whilst injured.

vickster

Legendary Member
Frankly losing weight is not very high on my agenda right now...not least as I have got horrific flipping toothache following a brutal root canal treatment (which also means I can't ride a fecking bike nor go to the gym)

MarkF

Guru
I think there's a strong thread of addictive behaviour in overeating, which is something that science is investigating.

I think I can save science some cash and point them in the direction of....12" meat feast pizza, 99p, 2 pieces chicken & chips, 99p, beef, veg, gravy & dumplings, 99p............. I can't believe my eyes in the supermarkets, it's not even "food" anyway and worse it's unbelievably cheap and this cheap tasty non-food is 24/7 accessible.

This recent eating addiction will mirror the changing of the modern food industry. I would not eat any of this crap, if I did, I'd expect to get fat, unfit and die.

Last edited:
Top Bottom