Obesity.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@tyred I suffer from mental health issues too and the last time I was in hospital I was 79Kg's my problem is not really eating properly, losing weight in theory is ease if work out is greater than cals consumed weight loss will happen, though its very rarely as b&w as that, the required exercise required to lose weight is actually a lot, I reckon I need to ride about 3-400 miles to lose 1lb of body fat, mind you since I came out of hospital in April I have done nearly 3,000 miles and yes there is a difference though I don't know how much as I don't weight myself often.

There are many contributing factors to peoples lack of activity, for a start many people don't do the same labour intensive jobs there once were, private transport I believe is probably the biggest factor, this probably applies to children as much as their parents, however just because someone is large it doesn't mean to say they are unfit and a large person can have a lower B.M.I. than a smaller one.

@screenman I said what I have to say over on the other thread, if you want to talk about weight to someone try and bring it up in a general topic about weight issues and let them say how they feel, if they don't rise it don't peruse it, my granddad was large (mums side), but he played rugby worked down the mines ect, I would never have called him unfit he dead at the age of 73 or so, his cost to the N.H.S. was probably his alzheimer's.

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
Right I get it, do not mention it and most people who are fat are actually fit and healthy, despite what they say in the medical profession.

It is a problem, it is growing, therefore it is getting a bigger problem, yet nobody wants to say anything in case they upset somebodies feelings.

Get real sometimes tough love works, at least it is better than what is going on now.

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
@tyred and @MarkF Nail, head, hammer and all that.
Start with GP's having to tell you as part of your visit, every time, what your weight is compared to your last visit, they can have a nice chart and a tablet to show it on for goodness sake. Will this gentle badgering reiterate then to patients that this stuff is important to your health overall? Trends can then be investigated further as to the cause, be it mental health, medical or bad nutrition practise. It looks at first like more time for a routine visit but it'll take strain off the whole system overall from even a small percentage taking the hints. At the moment obesity is treated when you are obese for whatever reason. No one stops, and I mean stops not encourages or takes a minimum step or two, 'food' companies getting you that way.

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
What about those people who do not go to a doctors, my SIL was 5 stone over weight before going to one with knee and back problems, not for one minute did she think it was because she was over weight. She even pays privately now because, and this is the truth as she tells it, the new doctor has not told her to lose weight. Very confusing.

Big Nick

Why would you feel you need to highlight it to people you don't know ?

In relation to friends/relatives quite frankly it's up to them, if they are happy as they are why should you try and dictate how you think they should be?

People make their own choices and most wouldn't appreciate being criticised for them whether that be eating, smoking, boozing or whatever. People know the health risks without you preaching to them I would suggest

I think the vast majority of people decide themselves to address the issue and have the best chance of succeeding that way rather than being nagged and criticised by someone else

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
A morbidly obese friend has known she was but chose to ignore it.

She was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, had to have knee joint replacement operations and underwent small intestine surgery which also removed part of her stomach, It was only then that she started to lose weight- not from dieting but as a direct result of the intestinal surgery.
She initially thought it was fantastic that she could eat 'normally' without putting on weight but came to realise how much better she felt and changed her attitude... people have to see reality for themselves- some never will, whether screenman tells it how he sees it or we continue to avoid upsetting obese people.

Monsieur

Then there is the innate laziness in people, a generalisation i know, but we are, most people wouldnt dream of excercising regularly, so when girls discussed her weightloss (at that time it was remarkable, now everyone just sees her as the normal 'her')...and asked wide eyed and excited...'how did you do it ?', the wife would explain..
1 hour of sweaty aerobic dancercise before work , strict calory control, meagre dinners, she was probably eating 800 to 1000 calories a day, more excercise at night, walk to work instead of catching the bus, walk for fun, more excercise....you'd see girls eyes glaze over after 5 seconds. Its just too much for most people, they can't even concieve they could do that let alone try to.
We've all (not literally all) become too lazy. You have to get kids out and playing, running about, on their bikes, doing sport because its fun and they want to...just moving. I can't see anything improving for years until we start having some effect with the kids.
I teach in a secondary school (not PE I might add) and one of the reasons teenage girls aren't keen on sports is because of tne sweat and effects that sport has on their looks and hair. Laugh if you will but to many teenagers (boys included) looks are vital ti self esteem. We don't have showers at school for various reasons.

It's not all doom and gloom though, as many teenagers still participate in sport - it's maybe a British 'thing' that we produce so many overweight people. Not blaming kids here as it's so easy to eat at mcdonalds or buy these microwaveable meals all laden with sugar snd salt

Big Nick

Fair enough, but again your idea does not seem to be working.
It's not my 'idea' as you put it, it's treating people as adults and respecting their views.

Everyday I see people indulging in 'life choices' I may not necessarily approve of but if its legal who am I to tell them otherwise?

cd365

Guru
I teach in a secondary school (not PE I might add) and one of the reasons teenage girls aren't keen on sports is because of tne sweat and effects that sport has on their looks and hair. Laugh if you will but to many teenagers (boys included) looks are vital ti self esteem. We don't have showers at school for various reasons.

I don't think I would have done some of the sports I did at school if there was no showers! I remember coming off the rugby/football pitches filthy.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I teach in a secondary school (not PE I might add) and one of the reasons teenage girls aren't keen on sports is because of tne sweat and effects that sport has on their looks and hair. Laugh if you will but to many teenagers (boys included) looks are vital ti self esteem.
The whole looks/self-esteem thing is a nightmare. The culture is so awash with images of people the vast majority of people could never look like, whatever they did, whatever they ate, whatever. At least a part of the explanation for the obesity crisis, I suspect, is a widespread attitude of 'why bother?' I was born fat/ugly/imperfect/unperfectable, I can never be [insert icon], so why not have another doughnut? At least doughnuts give me pleasure...

tyred

Legendary Member
My fitness Regime

An evening in the pub – pints of cider
Cheese and onion crisps and salted peanuts.
On the meandering walk home -
The lure of the chip shop is always calling –
Fish and chips sprinkled with salt and vinegar.
My new fitness regime – a run before breakfast –
Starts tomorrow.

Oh my head hurts and my stomach heaves!
What’s this annoying ringing –
Is it the bells of heaven? – I feel I’m dead.
No it’s the alarm clock – set early -
For my run before work – my new fitness regime.
Struggle to the kitchen – I down a glass of water
With a handful of aspirin and light a cigarette.
Surely that’s enough exercise for one day?

I need to have my breakfast - so -
I look at my shiny new box of Kellogg’s All-Bran -
And at the jam dough-nut left from tea last night.
Would be a pity to waste that dough-nut..
After a quick wash and shave,
I return to the bedroom to get dressed -
Lying down on the bed to button my trousers.
The shirt collar nips my neck as I fix my tie.
Why do clothes always seem to shrink?

At the café in my lunch hour, I order a salad -
The waitress asks if I’d like chips with that -
Wouldn’t it be rude to say no?
More fruit in the diet is good for you they say -
So I have strawberries and ice-cream for dessert.
Raspberry Ripple too – more fruit – must be good.
Three hours left in the office after lunch –
Too long to go without a snack.
I pop to the newsagents to buy some Dairy Milk.

After work – it’s a colleague’s birthday –
I get invited to the party.
Would be rude to say no - I’ll just have the one.
Oh someone’s bought a round - I better buy one back.
The meal’s not ‘till half-past eight -
I’d better have some crisps to keep me going.
“Do you want another pint?”
Wouldn’t it be rude to say no?

As I stumble from the pub at closing time
The mouth-watering smell form the chip shop
Lures me towards it –
With nose in air like the Bisto kid.
They probably expect me at this time of night –
Wouldn’t it be rude to let them down?
I get home and set my alarm clock -
Early – tomorrow’s the day -
I start my new fitness regime.

The doctor’s eyebrows shoot up alarmingly
Once the needle on the scales stops fluctuating.
He sits down at his desk and shuffles some papers –
Then stares at me over the top of his glasses.
He coughs nervously as he clears his throat -
“Mr Murphy” he hectors -
“You’re really rather overweight -
Do you think that you eat and drink too much?”
I look down and study the swirl-pattern carpet –
It’s really rather interesting.

“Not at all, doctor,” - I reply
“I only over-indulge on special occasions.
And I always have strawberries with my ice-cream,
And add a slice of lemon to my gin -
So I make sure I get my five-a-day.”
As I walk down the surgery steps -
My ears are red and ringing from the doctor’s sermon,
I know I can do better – tomorrow -
I’ll set my alarm clock for early and -
Then I’ll start my new fitness regime.
But it’s a long time ‘till bedtime -
I’ll just pop in for a swift half on my way home..

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
As I see some people want a quick fix, and that is what eating does for you. It just makes me feel hopeless that I cannot do more to help people see the major benefits of being healthier and fitter.

Tyred, that was brilliant and describes well many of my friends.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
As I see some people want a quick fix, and that is what eating does for you. It just makes me feel hopeless that I cannot do more to help people see the major benefits of being healthier and fitter.

Tyred, that was brilliant and describes well many of my friends.
People do want a quick fix. They see before and after pics of scraggy celebs who have their pre pregnancy body back in 22 minutes since giving birth. We live in an instant world. Want the new single from BoyBandArama? go and buy it on the tinterweb and you have it in 3 seconds flat. Meals that ping when they are cooked in 4 minutes and so on and so forth. They expect to lose weight and get fit in 24 hours because maddonna does, doesn't she.

People are getting lardier and lardier. I struggle with my weight but I make a lot of effort and it's shifting. I know some of it is my age, some of it is cake but I cycle, walk and make good nutritional choices. For instance yesterday I had lunch with some pals. I had baked potato (no butter) with veggie chilli, they all had noodles with deep fried stuff on top and sauce full of MSG from the noodle concession opposite spud-you-licker. They thought that I was boring but I was full up until tea time, they were snacking by 3.30pm.
I had a conversation today with a customer who's daughter and daughters friend were watching me groom their dog. Customer commented on my purple hair and that I looked like I had lost weight. 22lbs off and counting. The girls looked at me and said 'how'. I said it was easy, I ride my bike and eat right. To coin Mo Farrah's phrase "practice and protein". One said "oh, you don't take a pill then":eek: These lassies are still at school so going on for 15 now. I would say that the smaller of the two is around 14 stone at around 5'5", the other lassie is shorter and a whole lot wider. My customer says that they are vegetarian but they won't eat healthily, its all fried veggie burgers, chips etc. Neither will eat fruit or a vegetable that's not fried. Customer is worried about her daughter as she is stacking on weight like nobody's business but doesn't know what to do. Kid has put a stone on in the last 3 months. I suggested that she exercise and got daughter to keep her company for moral support. Lead by example so to speak. Customer was horrified at walking the dog a bit, or cycling, doing aerobics etc. Even swimming as she'll mess up her hair.

I fear that obesity and laziness is endemic, however, those kids will be dead from overeating by the age of 50 so that'll be the pensions problem sorted out.

Top Bottom