Obesity.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
He wants to know what he can do about the obesity issue in a constructive way...I don't think anyone denies it's an issue, even those of use who could do with losing a couple of stone, however there are ways to deal with it that takes into account the feelings of the individual. Did you read the original thread that led to this one?

I think you'd probably be better off getting a job at the RSPCA, CPL, Dog's trust or similar ;)

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
He wants to know what he can do about the obesity issue in a constructive way...I don't think anyone denies it's an issue, even those of use who could do with losing a couple of stone, however there are ways to deal with it that takes into account the feelings of the individual. Did you read the original thread that led to this one?

I think you'd probably be better off getting a job at the RSPCA, CPL, Dog's trust or similar ;)

No I hadn't read any 'original' post. I think we're lacking in @screenman coming back and saying 'Yes, I take that point, now let's move on.' then. Rather than some descent into 'You said I said'. But I have been off here for a month or so, hope you're back well again as well. :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Nope, still fighting injury, recovering from recent dental torture and unsuccessfully battling the bulge. However, the sun is shining so it's all good :smile:

Ganymede

Veteran
So true. I watch the TV and play my guitar, practice scales or whatever, while watching. I've noticed a difference in the last 12 days or so as Hubster is home in the evenings now he is dialysing in the daytime, he is a big snacker and it's quite hard to resist. He is not chuffed with me watching a programme and practicing my scales either as he says that it disturbs him :angry:. I don't always want to feel 'banished' to the music room. He was snacking on 2 tubes of pringles yesterday, pringles are so moreish and I munched some. My willpower only goes so far. I need to woman up really.
Knitting is awesome for keeping your hands occupied. I find knitting too hot an activity in the summer, it's my winter thing. The thought of knitting a jumper, in this weather just makes me feel a bit ill.
I know what you mean about knitting being hot - but try knitting small squares or little items, toys etc - crochet is probably better if you crochet. Or, hey, learn to crochet if you haven't already! Making a bit of lace or a few "granny squares" isn't a hot activity.

BTW Pringles - yeah, they are moreish, but I've managed to go off them. I think if you really look at a Pringle, and read the ingredients, and eat a couple really feeling that faked-up, uniform texture, and really tasting that heavy salt/sugar mix in the artificial flavours, you might go off them too.

Ganymede

Veteran
No I hadn't read any 'original' post. I think we're lacking in @screenman coming back and saying 'Yes, I take that point, now let's move on.' then. Rather than some descent into 'You said I said'. But I have been off here for a month or so, hope you're back well again as well. :smile:
I have a lot of sympathy with @screenman's frustration with how this country is going in terms of obesity. I hate that thing of walking through the shopping centres and seeing all the lardy bellies - especially on young people. I really worry at how normalised it has become - some of the teenage girls make me so sad, so pretty and young, and obviously spending a lot of money on looking nice, but even the not obviously clinically obese ones have this terrible wobbly belly spilling over their jeans, no muscle tone, bad posture, oh lordy.

My nephew's girlfriend has gained a lot of weight recently but it's her feeling that she can't do anything about it that is overwhelming - she is 22 and lives at home with an overweight Mum who seems to know nothing about nutrition. At that age I would just take over the cooking but she doesn't seem to be able to do it even though she is fully aware that the way she is eating is destructive and rubbishy. And she has no pleasure in it.

I wonder if the country is simply losing the ability to cook properly - maybe that's another way in.

ayceejay

Guru
When I was a kid there was one fat kid in my class - me. The other kids called me 'fatty', this is obviously pre PC. and it didn't bother me much as I liked to eat and being fat was obviously related to that. In my teens and early twenties the fat mysteriously disappeared and I attained the Adonis like physique I have now.
My point being that there is fat and then there is fat.

gbb

Legendary Member
Then there is the innate laziness in people, a generalisation i know, but we are, most people wouldnt dream of excercising regularly, so when girls discussed her weightloss (at that time it was remarkable, now everyone just sees her as the normal 'her')...and asked wide eyed and excited...'how did you do it ?', the wife would explain..
1 hour of sweaty aerobic dancercise before work , strict calory control, meagre dinners, she was probably eating 800 to 1000 calories a day, more excercise at night, walk to work instead of catching the bus, walk for fun, more excercise....you'd see girls eyes glaze over after 5 seconds. Its just too much for most people, they can't even concieve they could do that let alone try to.
We've all (not literally all) become too lazy. You have to get kids out and playing, running about, on their bikes, doing sport because its fun and they want to...just moving. I can't see anything improving for years until we start having some effect with the kids.

cd365

Guru
Respect to you Scotia....
My wife was a size 18 and like smokers, had no desire (outwardly anyway) or determination to lose weight. I think of it as an addiction, she knew she was overweight, but lacked the determination to do anything about it. Christ knows i can eat what i like and the thought of cutting food out would scare me to death..
Eventually she got the desire to do something, heavy heavy excercise for the first year, heavy and PERMANENT cutting back on calories, she's gone from an 18 to a size 8/10. I KNOW how much she's sacrificed and how hard she's worked (and still does) to achieve that.
It comes from within...usually, no amount of being told will make any difference.

Its a very difficult subject to raise with someone, even your wife, i'd raise concerns occasionally, but any more than that, you're treading on thin ice and may depress the person you're trying to help.

As an indicator of her determination, i offered her the chance to learn to drive (she never has) and to buy her a newish Mini (she loves those cars)...she declined. Why...she said it'll just make her lazy, she loves to walk and ride her bike.
Big respect to your wife :smile:

cd365

Guru
In my experience, exercise/activity is the only way to lose weight and keep it off..
My experience is totally the opposite, I took up cycling to lose weight, but just seemed to get fitter. The only way I lost weight was in off season (I don't do much winter riding) I actually watched what I ate for a couple of months and lost 2 stone. This summer I have cycled more than ever and my weight has stayed the same. But I know I am eating more carbs!

I wonder if the country is simply losing the ability to cook properly - maybe that's another way in.
I agree with this 100%

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkF

Guru
From my post...
People are sensitive about their weight and usually know themselves that they are obese - they just don't want to hear it from others.

I think it has to be approached sensitively, whether it's someone you know or not, otherwise people just get defensive and shut off. I know, I was that person.

Think that's about it, they need to be told, but how and who by is important.

None of my family is overweight, mine, my mother, in laws etc They are all active people though, the sort that will walk to the supermaket, 2 miles away, for some milk, not drive. I have friends that you can split into 2 groups, ones that played football and carried on with some other sport after retiring and those that never did any sport in the first place. Now we are all middle aged (50+), the former are (physically) like they were at 25 and the latter are fat, some very and look they could be our dads!

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
When I put this post up and contributed to the other one I knew certain people would give me some stick, at least though we are discussing a major subject.

Now my personal experience was people telling me I was fat, was what made me do something about it. We hear often that people get upset by words like these, well do they I did not, well not enough to make me want to eat more that is for sure.

tyred

Legendary Member
Speaking as someone who used to weigh about 18 1/2 stone, smoke and drink heavily, I think there are many different issues at play here.

Yes it's very easy to lose weight. But certain things conspire to make it difficult. In my case, a lack of self worth, self esteem and severe depression meant that most days I didn't care if I seen the morning never mind worry about something that might happen to me a few years down the line. I suspect there are more problems struggling with this type of mental health problem than is realised as many won't ask for help.

The media and even the health professionals also like to sell the idea that it is difficult to lose weight and recommend fad diets, etc that are difficult to achieve and rarely have a long term impact. People probably get fed up trying them and give up. There also seems to be an idea that taking exercise involves hours at the gym or some other difficult workout and when unfit people try this, they end up knackered and stop doing it - whereas most people are perfectly capable of long walks and gentle bike rides to help to gradually build up fitness over a period of time. There are no shortcuts, no matter what the seller of the latest fad diet might want you to believe. It needs baby steps over a period of time to make any major lifestyle change.

There is also a perceived lack of time today which makes it easy to sell convenience foods which are rarely healthy. The traditional sit down family meal is a thing of the past now too I suspect in most households which means rather than someone cooking a proper meal for everyone in the household, everyone is busy with their own stuff and grabs food on the go.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We still sit down for a family home cooked meal each night though it mean eating at odd times, so Thursday nights for example we don't sit down before 8:30 pm as two of us are out before that.

Top Bottom