Obesity.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Right I get it, do not mention it and most people who are fat are actually fit and healthy, despite what they say in the medical profession.

It is a problem, it is growing, therefore it is getting a bigger problem, yet nobody wants to say anything in case they upset somebodies feelings.

Get real sometimes tough love works, at least it is better than what is going on now.
I never said fat I said large.
I tell you what why not get rid of the human race and leave the planet in peace at the end of the day we are only custodians (bad ones at that on the whole) for a short while in the scheme of things.
I personal am more concerned about the welfare of the planet than some people being over weight, because without a planet we are screwed anyway, the upcoming worries of energy production may well force people to be more active, the damage we do with plastic waste (which can not be undone) has yet to really show, it has been observed that some plastic give of pheromones that are effecting insects, there are bigger worries and issues.

Last edited:
Just putting my two cents in, I have gone from 35 stone (probably higher) to 23.5 in 4 years, but the last two has seen the major change due to cycling.
However, I was always "rounded" in your words as a teen, my slimmest being when I was a cadet PTI (Physical Training Instructor).

Once I started working, the weight slowly went back on, but the bulk went on when I was with my ex, between her lack of culinary skills and penchant for take aways, I couldn't say no.
So once I got rid of her, I started undoing the damage, however I was that big, I'm now carrying around excess skin, which now makes me self-conscious when I'm hoofing it along on my bike and all I want to do is crouch and enjoy going fast.
I average 14mph / 66rpm cadence but no matter what I do, clothes I wear, I'm going to have the excess which means it's additional weight, and also unsightly (as recently proven in a recent event).

So because of that, all I've wanted to do is stop cycling and eat again, as after all food is my comfort blanket, however I don't, my stubbornness rules that, but it doesn't stop me from being self-conscious, self loathing, regretful and ultimately depressed.
The thing I don't want to hear when I'm hammering my pedals, which unfortunately does happen, is have someone I don't know (think passing car's, and "young adults") comment about my weight/size etc, but never will they consider the fact I'm doing something about it, and they'll never know me to know I have done something about it.

Sometimes, keeping schtum is what people need, as they know they're overweight etc.

I will point out, my Doc even when I was a PTI used to claim I was overweight, due to BMI, however it doesn't take into account of muscle mass and build. No two people are the same.

midlife

Guru
Just as an aside we had an e-mail this week from our NHS bosses to tell us that if we are giving health advice it would be hypocritical if we ourselves were not healthy.............. our Trust therefore does not want fat staff advising people how to lose weight and staff who smoke to tell patients to stop smoking.

I look forward to my NHS colleagues shedding pounds and stopping smoking..............like that's going to happen !

Shaun

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
After being chastised on another post for telling a few NHS workers they were lardy, fat, obese I cannot remember the exact words I used, suffice to say a few did not agree with me.

So how should it be approached, should we bring the subject up with friends and relatives etc. or should we just ignore it and hope it goes away.

Child obesity is something I find really sad.
I don't disagree that it is a problem, or even that we have to find a way to get it across to people. I don't think that was actually the point of disagreement in the other thread you refer to, however. I believe the reason you came in for so much flack was that you chose to lay into someone who had just announced that he realised he had a problem, and that he was now going to do something about it. You then proceeded to lambast anyone who appeared to be being too supportive of the original poster - when it was immediately clear to almost everyone except yourself that this was the perfect time for us fellow cyclists to give the original poster as much support and encouragement as possible. Whilst you correctly identified a huge problem in society, it was your breathtaking crassness and inappropriately directed comments that caused the backlash.Judging by your opening words, this does not appear to have unduly bothered you.

Ganymede

Veteran
When I put this post up and contributed to the other one I knew certain people would give me some stick, at least though we are discussing a major subject.

Now my personal experience was people telling me I was fat, was what made me do something about it. We hear often that people get upset by words like these, well do they I did not, well not enough to make me want to eat more that is for sure.
I think that's interesting and I'm not going to refute your own lived experience. For some people, tough love or even a chance, unkind or simply direct remark from a stranger can be the trigger to a healthier life. I think one thing that many people crave is a mentor - someone who is going to take them by the hand and help them make it happen. Whether that's through tough talk or through a more careful tiptoeing is up to the temperament or mental state of the obese person.

I think there's a strong thread of addictive behaviour in overeating, which is something that science is investigating, and that is why such incredible situations as you and Archi_tect have mentioned above where people have surgery or avoid their GP rather than have the obvious pointed out.

Ganymede

Veteran
Just as an aside we had an e-mail this week from our NHS bosses to tell us that if we are giving health advice it would be hypocritical if we ourselves were not healthy.............. our Trust therefore does not want fat staff advising people how to lose weight and staff who smoke to tell patients to stop smoking.

I look forward to my NHS colleagues shedding pounds and stopping smoking..............like that's going to happen !

Shaun
I had a blood test today. Plump receptionist, fat nurse, bloke arriving to pick up the blood test smelling strongly of freshly-smoked roll-up.

At least my main doctor is a MAMIL!

Ganymede

Veteran
Just putting my two cents in, I have gone from 35 stone (probably higher) to 23.5 in 4 years, but the last two has seen the major change due to cycling.
However, I was always "rounded" in your words as a teen, my slimmest being when I was a cadet PTI (Physical Training Instructor).

Once I started working, the weight slowly went back on, but the bulk went on when I was with my ex, between her lack of culinary skills and penchant for take aways, I couldn't say no.
So once I got rid of her, I started undoing the damage, however I was that big, I'm now carrying around excess skin, which now makes me self-conscious when I'm hoofing it along on my bike and all I want to do is crouch and enjoy going fast.
I average 14mph / 66rpm cadence but no matter what I do, clothes I wear, I'm going to have the excess which means it's additional weight, and also unsightly (as recently proven in a recent event).

So because of that, all I've wanted to do is stop cycling and eat again, as after all food is my comfort blanket, however I don't, my stubbornness rules that, but it doesn't stop me from being self-conscious, self loathing, regretful and ultimately depressed.
The thing I don't want to hear when I'm hammering my pedals, which unfortunately does happen, is have someone I don't know (think passing car's, and "young adults") comment about my weight/size etc, but never will they consider the fact I'm doing something about it, and they'll never know me to know I have done something about it.

Sometimes, keeping schtum is what people need, as they know they're overweight etc.

I will point out, my Doc even when I was a PTI used to claim I was overweight, due to BMI, however it doesn't take into account of muscle mass and build. No two people are the same.
Frankly Plym, I think you're an absolute hero. I'm sure a lot of other people think this too. I love what you say about your stubbornness ruling! It rules!

paddy01

Heroin.

Problem solved, I mean you never see a fat smack-head do you..

To be serious though, whilst it's a line trotted out more times than I can count, the change does have to come from within. I know I'm overweight, not obese and otherwise fit and healthy, but I could definitely do with dropping a couple of stone. I know I'd feel better for it. I'm (slowly) trying to do something about it though my preference has always been to up the exercise than reduce the pie count..

Same with smoking, until I actually wanted to give up (and as it happens stopped enjoying it) nothing anyone said or did would have got me to. Once I knew I wanted to give up, mainly because I came to understand I didn't really enjoy it anymore, I stopped instantly. Yes there was a short period of craving and it took a while before the instinct to go have a smoke after a meal, in the car on the way to work (in other words life patterns) stopped, but because it was me that wanted to do it and not hectoring from others it was easy.

I'm hoping that by losing a few pounds through exercise I'll build momentum which will spur me on to change some of my food habits and so the cycle (see what I did there?) of healthier living becomes the new norm.

Frankly Plym, I think you're an absolute hero. I'm sure a lot of other people think this too. I love what you say about your stubbornness ruling! It rules!

I'm by no means a hero. I did post up the result of my cycling in another thread a while ago under the health section, explaining what actually kicked my a** into gear, the crux being I have arthritis in both feet, can't walk long distances, I've never been a football player, I enjoyed rugby, but won't be able to play it again, and swimming kills my shoulder, due to the same accident.
So what else could I do, cycling! It's non-weightbearing, and I get to go as fast as I like under my own steam.

Plus, I'm fortunate to have a supportive family, a fantastic boss who bought the new bike for me and encourages me to sign up to silly events (latest one was 68 miles), plus two cycling colleagues (unfortunately in another office, not close to mine) who tell me their PB's in TT's etc, and makes me envious of that.

Now my personal injury claim is settled, I've set money aside for a new bike, and looking forward to dropping the weight and hopefully the excess skin removed (I'll be paying for it myself, as I did the damage, and only after I've kept the weight off for 5 years - this money is also set aside).

Other than that, I still get days where I want chocolate, biscuits etc, because like today, I've had a sh*t one and it's a comforter.

Having read through again, someone mentioned about people's inability to cook. This I can second, my ex couldn't cook.
Her idea of cooking was pre-made frozen Iceland foods, which has so much rubbish in it. This is a trend too many people understand, as our lives get busier the time to cook etc has gone downhill.
Once she was gone, I changed my lifestyle to ensure I cooked from scratch, but my biggest change was swapping my bus pass for a nasty £50 bike which I still have due to it serving me so well.

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
Something that gets me here is that a few want to lose a couple of stone, surely if they have not done so means they must want another cake more.

The time to change is now, the longer a habit lasts the harder it is to break.

Something that gets me here is that a few want to lose a couple of stone, surely if they have not done so means they must want another cake more.

The time to change is now, the longer a habit lasts the harder it is to break.
Yes, but some don't see a way out of a habit unless someone aids them, or they ask for that help. Don't forget, unlike alcohol, drugs, smoking, food is a necessity, and some people don't understand food portioning, nutritional value, how to read a premade food item (high in salt/sugar etc).

Not knowing what's been said, and why this thread came about (nor do I want to find out - I get the gist), if you'd said about my weight/size etc, I'd invite you to cycle alongside me.
I'll cycle any route, any distance with you and will happily match your speed, or set up the route on my garmin and go for it.

I proved this to some people on my event, most being shocked first at the bike I rode, then the speed I was capable of maintaining and then my size (even had three groups come up at the end commenting, making my mother and partner incredibly proud of hearing the comments).

vickster

Legendary Member
I have gained weight this year - unfortunately, as much as I would like to, I haven't been able to take it off through exercise, due to injury in a cycling accident, cycling which is supposed to help control weight. Ironic eh. The psychological impact of the accident has made things even harder with regards to food

There are often personal circumstances which an outside observer may not actually be aware of

I'm sorry to hear that vickster. Without meaning to sound like an empty offer, I'm here if you need to talk, going through an injury is never nice on your own (learnt that one the hard way).

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
I fully agree that I do not know of others situation, surely though people had stress many years ago.

I have never lost weight through excersise alone and have always needed portion control. I was 11lb 2 oz when born so as I have told I was a big lump then.

Top Bottom