Obsessing about cost of cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iwantanewbike

Über Member
Do any of you commuter cyclists occasionally get obsessive about calculating cycling pence/mile vs the same for their car? i.e. adding up the total cost of the bike and all components, chains, brake pads etc. then dividing it by the mileage? The cost per mile is ever decreasing and there is also a break even mileage where the bike eventually pays for itself.

It gets even more interesting for me when I consider how much I save on taxi fares to the town centre and back on a Friday night, or the fiver I save on a return train ticket by cycling to a slightly further train station.

People have said to me that walking is free but I think the cost of buying trainers every 4 months for the 6km journey on foot easily outstrips the cost of bike components for the equivalent journey.

OTOH maybe I need to get a life :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
Don't forget to add the cost of your 'fuel' tomyour sums. I read somewhere once that the value of food calories the cyclists needs is cost equivalent to 350-500 MPG.

classic33

Leg End Member
Don't forget to add the cost of your 'fuel' tomyour sums. I read somewhere once that the value of food calories the cyclists needs is cost equivalent to 350-500 MPG.
It's about 290 MPG in town, 160 MPG on the open road.

https://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/2011/11/mpg-of-a-human/
Nutrition_Label-140x300.png

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I eat pretty much the same amount whether I am cycling or not! I rode 100 hilly miles yesterday on 2 bowls of porridge, a scone and a Millionaires' Slice. The only difference is whether I get fat, stay the same weight, or get slim! :laugh:

winjim

Smash the cistern
You need to factor in quality of life, lower stress levels*, more exercise, that sort of thing. Not sure how you put a value on that, though I expect an insurance company would have a formula or something.

*Unless you're one of those shouty sweary self-righteous vigilante types that is.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Ignoring the capital cost of the bike, I reckoned it was about 8p per mile a few years ago if you take into account the wear and tear of components, clothing etc. That figure was based on about 4500 miles per annum.

Excellent value in my book.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I don't record it, but I figure my Boardman CX owes me nothing. Paid £720, done 5600 miles of mostly commuting and utility riding to the shops. Saves me £2.50 every time I commute (diesel cost), and over £1 every time I shop (parking).

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Do any of you commuter cyclists occasionally get obsessive about calculating cycling pence/mile vs the same for their car? i.e. adding up the total cost of the bike and all components, chains, brake pads etc. then dividing it by the mileage? The cost per mile is ever decreasing and there is also a break even mileage where the bike eventually pays for itself.

It gets even more interesting for me when I consider how much I save on taxi fares to the town centre and back on a Friday night, or the fiver I save on a return train ticket by cycling to a slightly further train station.

People have said to me that walking is free but I think the cost of buying trainers every 4 months for the 6km journey on foot easily outstrips the cost of bike components for the equivalent journey.

OTOH maybe I need to get a life :smile:

You've answered your own question right there. Just be glad to be peddling and all the good that brings.

classic33

Leg End Member
You need to factor in quality of life, lower stress levels*, more exercise, that sort of thing. Not sure how you put a value on that, though I expect an insurance company would have a formula or something.

*Unless you're one of those shouty sweary self-righteous vigilante types that is.
You forgot age.

Top Bottom