Obsessing about cost of cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
Same thinking here...... Spent just over £2k on a bike. It not only paid for itself in the first year but saved an additional ~£700 on a ~£3k worth of travelcard.
I strongly suspect the explosion in the number of people cycling to work here in London is due to the criminal cost of (so called) public transport. Also worth factoring in is that after a year the bike still has a value unlike the Oystercard.

When we lived in London, we found it was cheaper to buy a 110cc scooter on finance than it was for my wife to buy a monthly zone 6-2 pass for her oyster. I think with the finance payment, petrol, and insurance, it came to less than £90/month as opposed to the nearly £150/month train ticket.

But onto the subject at hand. I don't really obsess over the cost of cycling. It's still cheaper than my car, takes roughly the same amount of time, and is a much more pleasant journey.

OP
OP
I

iwantanewbike

Über Member
I had another think about it this evening - if you calculate the cost of walking everywhere, including half hour to work, then the cost of footwear and repairs to soles etc. outweighs the yearly cost of a few chains, pair of tyres and other bits. So cycling may be the cheapest of all modes of transport.

classic33

Leg End Member
I had another think about it this evening - if you calculate the cost of walking everywhere, including half hour to work, then the cost of footwear and repairs to soles etc. outweighs the yearly cost of a few chains, pair of tyres and other bits. So cycling may be the cheapest of all modes of transport.
I'd say upto a point/distance.

Jimidh

Veteran
I never give how much I am saving much thought to be honest.

I take my car to work half the time due to other commitments when I need my car and take the bike to work when I can.

I take my bike because I enjoy it, especially the ride into work, not because I want to save cash.

Top Bottom