OCD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
Maybe it's just advancing age? I tend to be rather more fussy about little things but I don't think it's OCD. Think Victor Meldrew 😊

Think I need to be more OCD.I put tools down meaning to put them on the little tray on the work stand,the spend ten minutes looking for them.Old age is a b%@#£🤓

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
OCD is a hugely debilitating problem.
It a disservice to real sufferers by referring to being ordered and near as a little bit OCD.
Everyone's somewhere on the spectrum... apparently I cover up dots on the table cloth with the place mats- never noticed!

OCD is a hugely debilitating problem.
It a disservice to real sufferers by referring to being ordered and near as a little bit OCD.
Oh nonsense. This stance is just overcompensating PC . Wokeness. The world doesn't need it.

Next think they'll tell me I can't refer to someone (who has just left home without a beanie, in a snowstorm) as mad. As in, "are you mad? go get a hat now." That would be a disservice to the "real mentally ill".

Or use cretinous, or pig or shitzo or nutcase or crazy or a million other things along that line.

Offense and "disservice" can be found in just about every adjective. There is no need to look for it.

Slick

Guru
Like most, I'm definitely on the spectrum somewhere and I was able to use it much to my advantage at work for years as a critical eye was perceived to be a quality service provision that was appreciated by most and they were willing to pay for that.

It did cost me from time to time and in the end it just done me in for reasons I'd rather not go into. I can still be a bit rigid with some aspects of life but my work life is now very much easier now that I can accept less than perfect as the standard.

Oh nonsense. This stance is just overcompensating PC . Wokeness. The world doesn't need it.

Next think they'll tell me I can't refer to someone (who has just left home without a beanie, in a snowstorm) as mad. As in, "are you mad? go get a hat now." That would be a disservice to the "real mentally ill".

Or use cretinous, or pig or shitzo or nutcase or crazy or a million other things along that line.

Offense and "disservice" can be found in just about every adjective. There is no need to look for it.
For the sake of brevity I shall simply say that you are 100% dead wrong in this matter.

Drago

Legendary Member
Like most, I'm definitely on the spectrum somewhere and I was able to use it much to my advantage at work for years as a critical eye was perceived to be a quality service provision that was appreciated by most and they were willing to pay for that.

It did cost me from time to time and in the end it just done me in for reasons I'd rather not go into. I can still be a bit rigid with some aspects of life but my work life is now very much easier now that I can accept less than perfect as the standard.
My friends son is autistic and has a bizarre talent - he can memorise a map by glancing at it. He makes sat navs look crude. He now earns a very decent crust working for Garmin in the U.S.

Slick

Guru
My friends son is autistic and has a bizarre talent - he can memorise a map by glancing at it. He makes sat navs look crude. He now earns a very decent crust working for Garmin in the U.S.
You just have to find a commercial use for your specific talents.

Back in the day, long before we knew what autism was, my mate growing up wouldn't refer to people by their name, he would always refer to them by their car number plate as well as their previously owned cars. God knows how many numbers he had memorised, but I do know that he never ever found a use for his talents despite that and his gift as a very talented musician.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
_20200315_111432.JPG

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
According to the other half I have OCD when it comes to washing up

keithmac

Guru
People might think that you are joking and I probably would have done too, until I arranged to go for a bike ride with someone from the next street from me. He turned up 10 minutes late. I knew that he had OCD with regard to locking his front door so I asked if he had checked that it was locked - yes. Did he check that he had checked it properly - yes. Did he then check that the checking of the checking had been done properly - yes!

We went to set off past the end of his street but he suddenly turned right, saying that he wanted to recheck that he had locked his door!!! When he started on the checking of the checking of the checking thing I rode off and left him.

He knew which way I was going and I rode slowly so he was eventually able to catch up but within a quarter of an hour he was fretting about his front door again! :wacko:

I was really bad with this for years, often turning around half way to work to re-check I'd locked up properly at home, same at work.

I had a system of locking, checking, going down the drive then back up again "just to make sure".

It's weird really, you have visions of the front door being wide open!.

One day I was on my way to work wondering if I'd left the door open and I just said to myself fxxx it, if I have it's just tough luck.

Managed to do the same for a few weeks and broke the habit. I still look back when riding down the street but never gone back to check since.

The brain is a funny thing.

Gunk

Guru
There's also something called Anankastic personality disorder/OCPD which is far more like what many describe as obsessive-compulsive disorder. It doesn't tend to get much focus as people are far more interested in other ones.

That’s probably what I have a mild version of, my ex wife however suffered from the door locking obsession, it’s quite common.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was really bad with this for years, often turning around half way to work to re-check I'd locked up properly at home, same at work.

I had a system of locking, checking, going down the drive then back up again "just to make sure".

It's weird really, you have visions of the front door being wide open!.

One day I was on my way to work wondering if I'd left the door open and I just said to myself fxxx it, if I have it's just tough luck.

Managed to do the same for a few weeks and broke the habit. I still look back when riding down the street but never gone back to check since.

The brain is a funny thing.
I was late for work one day and set off in a panic. When I got home from work I discovered that my door was open. I thought that I must have been burgled but then I discovered that the door was actually locked - it just hadn't been properly shut when I'd locked it! Fortunately, there was no sign that anybody had actually gone into the house in the 10+ hours that I had been away for... :whistle:

keithmac

Guru
I was late for work one day and set off in a panic. When I got home from work I discovered that my door was open. I thought that I must have been burgled but then I discovered that the door was actually locked - it just hadn't been properly shut when I'd locked it! Fortunately, there was no sign that anybody had actually gone into the house in the 10+ hours that I had been away for... :whistle:

That was lucky!.

I've left my car unlocked a fair few times (2 weeks at one point) and nothing happened.

Where I used to live my next door neighbour left his door unlocked one night and someone stole his TV!, apparently they went down the street checking door handles.

Top Bottom