Odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
In England, all men over the age of 14 must carry out two hours of longbow practice a day

Tim Hall

The invention of electronic counter-measure "Chaff" was discovered by accident.

B17s would momentarily jam RAF radar, when US airmen would toss their chewing gum wrappers out the window, shortly after take-off
I toyed with repacking a party popper with appropriately sized bits of tin foil and carrying it on my bike. I would then fire it as i went past a speed camera, just so I could confuse it.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
The main theme from Prokoviev's famous 'Troika' - which is heard a lot at this time of the year - is taken from an old music hall song that was written by Wee Jackie Davies about a Brummie on a tricycle.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The invention of electronic counter-measure "Chaff" was discovered by accident.

B17s would momentarily jam RAF radar, when US airmen would toss their chewing gum wrappers out the window, shortly after take-off

I did read that the RAF didn't use chaff for a ling time because first time it was used the Germans would know the trick and use it back on us. The tons of silver foil on the ground after the radar jamming would be pretty obvious. Apparently the Germans already had it but held off using it on us for the same reason

classic33

Leg End Member
"We Wish You a Merry Christmas" was originally a threat.
This ever-popular song was originally sung, loudly and repeatedly, by crowds of rowdy, lower-class servants demanding booze from their masters... or else. (I.e. "We won't go until we get some!")

Top Bottom