Odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There were no cats prior to 1986. This is the year that Chernobyl exploded, and the resulting radiation induced mutations have led to a breed of deformed dwarf dog. Most spinster, old people, and young people who simply like cardigans have mistaken this mutation as a new breed, and thus the myth of the cat as a separate species was created.

Please note - the ancient Egyptians actually revered a form of dwarf horse, not catrs as is often thought.

That explains Everything...

classic33

Leg End Member
The direction that the room spins when you are drunk varies according to which hemisphere you are in.
On the Equator, the room spins end-over-end, resulting in frantic carpet grippage.
Must be fun either flying from one to t'other or sailing, where the effect would be slower and more prolonged.

Dave7

Legendary Member
There were no cats prior to 1986. This is the year that Chernobyl exploded, and the resulting radiation induced mutations have led to a breed of deformed dwarf dog. Most spinster, old people, and young people who simply like cardigans have mistaken this mutation as a new breed, and thus the myth of the cat as a separate species was created.

Please note - the ancient Egyptians actually revered a form of dwarf horse, not catrs as is often thought.
I must sincerely and humbly take issue with this........
My issue is that I understand that all factoids posted here are true ie factual.
You state that there were no cats before 1986!!!
I know for a certainty that the catseyes on major roads were first used in 1934.
Now, contrary to popular belief, I am not totally stupid. I know the catseyes used today are actually glass or other reflective stuff but the original ones must have been real eyes from cats.
So I claim you to be a fraud.....explain that you dastardly bounder.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
My issue is that I understand that all factoids posted here are true ie factual.
I know for a certainty that the catseyes on major roads were first used in 1934.
Now, contrary to popular belief, I am not totally stupid. I know the catseyes used today are actually glass or other reflective stuff but the original ones must have been real eyes from cats.
He was driving home from his local, at Catherine Slack just up road from his house. The wall on his left he couldn't miss and was able to make the turn. The following left-hand turn had no such reference. Just a drop & an incline down the hillside, in the wrong direction.

T'were tramlines Shaw saw, not as he first thought cats eyes. Tramlines was already taken as a name so he stuck with his first thought.

Easily checked on any map(of the area in question), a right-hand bend followed by a left-hand bend. With the drop on the outside of the left-hand bend.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Tramlines were originally called Pramlines after HM Nanny took the newly born heir to the throne out for a breath of fresh air and got lost. The Royal edict for Pramlines was instantly acted upon. They subsequently became useful to the proles when Trams were invented and royalty then severed all connection to them.
The Golden Mile in Blackpool is to be called The Queen Elizabeth Promenade, thus reinstating the link with royalty and tramlines and trams.

bruce1530

Guru
Support for Brexit in the Blackpool area was reinforced by an EU plan to rename it `”The Golden 1.61 Kilometres"

MiK1138

Veteran
You are quite correct Cats-eyes do pre-date 1986, however they are made from glass cast on a foil background and where originally called Cast Eyes but the Cats Eye misnomer has stuck

classic33

Leg End Member
When war broke out, in 1914, one local carpet mill, Crossleys, Dean Clough, was contracted to make khaki puttees. Special heald wires were required for the looms for this job and calling on his earlier experiences at the wire mill, Percy was able to obtain the sub-contract for the supply of these heald wires. Later they were engaged in the manufacture of cartridge cases and shell noses under government contract for the war effort.

Drago

Legendary Member
In the days before the internet and data sharing over phone lines, researchers had to physically tote computers about on the train. In Yorkshire, thanks to their wonderfully lazy and inaccurate manner of speech, computers quickly morped into "com'uters", and then "commuters". The term widened in use, and eventually became a common term used to describe those that travel to and from work on the train. The deep irony is that in 2018 if most of the commuters had computers at home then they wouldn't need to commute at all as they could compute instead.

classic33

Leg End Member
In the days before the internet and data sharing over phone lines, researchers had to physically tote computers about on the train. In Yorkshire, thanks to their wonderfully lazy and inaccurate manner of speech, computers quickly morped into "com'uters", and then "commuters". The term widened in use, and eventually became a common term used to describe those that travel to and from work on the train. The deep irony is that in 2018 if most of the commuters had computers at home then they wouldn't need to commute at all as they could compute instead.
Well we've very few trains actually moving.

Top Bottom