Odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Be gentle, me and my two buddies are doing our best. :sad:
Just not enough of you I'm afraid but keep up the good work :thumbsup:

classic33

Leg End Member
The Saxons called February “Sol-monath” which means “cake month” because they would offer cakes to the gods during February.

classic33

Leg End Member
The modern Speed Bump was invented by Arthur Compton in 1953. There was no sleeping on the job for him though, as he also won the Nobel Prize in physics in 1927.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It's a proven fact that the fastest creature on earth is a pensioner on hearing the phrase "we're opening another till"

classic33

Leg End Member
What's the link between an old-style red telephone box and Wigan's war memorial in the grounds of the Parish Church?

is that they were both designed by the same architect, Sir Giles Gilbert Scott (who was also responsible for Liverpool Cathedral).

classic33

Leg End Member
Boris Johnson is the first British Prime Minister in history who will not be moving into 10 Downing Street with their spouse. Although Johnson is technically still married, he has been separated from his wife (his second) for more than a year and is expected to have his girlfriend of 18-months move in with him.

classic33

Leg End Member
Caroline Herschel, the sister of astronomer William Herschel who discovered Uranus, was the first woman in England’s history employed by the government. In 1787, King George III offered her a salary to continue her work in astronomy, making her both the first female government employee and the first paid for their work in astronomy.

classic33

Leg End Member
During the opening sequence of Apollo 13, when Lovell is racing home, a McDonald's billboard comes into view advertising a "Two cheeseburger meal" for $2.99 (a special that ran in the 90's)..

In 1969, McDonald's cheeseburgers cost 33 cents each, fries cost 26 cents, and a large soft drink was 20 cents (total cost of the same "two cheeseburgers" meal at full menu price in 1969: $1.12).

Top Bottom