Odd gearing to issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dfthe1

I've had some gear niggles for a while -- slow shifting, shifting multiple gears, shifting without me doing anything. Also a loud intermittent cracking noise. Obviously needs indexing and possibly new cables plus some other stuff but haven't found the time to go through it all and sort it out.

Odd thing on my ride today though. Was happily cycling along at around aroUnd 20mph when the cranks suddenly starting spinning freely as though the chain had come off. A few seconds later it was fine, but then kept doing it.

I stopped to look but couldn't see anything obviously wrong. When I went to set off, the cranks turned freely about 270 degrees before the gear 'caught'. Did this a few more times then seems fine for the last 10 miles home.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Number 1. Sounds like frayed or damaged cable.
Number 2. Sounds like a freehub problem. The pawls may be sticking open which means that it doesn't engage with the wheel meaning no drive. This could be due to worn components in the freehub or a build up of gunk inside.

Both need to be sorted sooner rather then later. If you can't or don't want to do yourself then it's a bike shop matter.

OP
OP
D

dfthe1

Number 1. Sounds like frayed or damaged cable.
Number 2. Sounds like a freehub problem. The pawls may be sticking open which means that it doesn't engage with the wheel meaning no drive. This could be due to worn components in the freehub or a build up of gunk inside.

Both need to be sorted sooner rather then later. If you can't or don't want to do yourself then it's a bike shop matter.

Great -- thanks. Done a bit of reading and it looks like the freehub could be the cause of the cracking sound too. Any thoughts on whether to try to overhaul or just get a new one? Doing either is no problem (apart from finding the time!)

Tim Hall

Great -- thanks. Done a bit of reading and it looks like the freehub could be the cause of the cracking sound too. Any thoughts on whether to try to overhaul or just get a new one? Doing either is no problem (apart from finding the time!)
Freehubs are generally replaceable rather than fixable (give or take fancy boutique models). Look up which model you have and see how much a new one is before you decide.

si_c

Guru
If the pawls are sticking it may even be as simple as cleaning and relubricating the free hub. Worth a go I'd reckon, if it doesn't work then you can look at getting a new one then.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If the freehub conks out completely - pedals spinning, no drive - before you get around to fixing it, it's worth bouncing the back wheel off the road a few times.

As said, the problem is likely to be pawls not engaging, so the shock of the bouncing can often persuade them to engage at least for long enough to get you home.

OP
OP
D

dfthe1

If the freehub conks out completely - pedals spinning, no drive - before you get around to fixing it, it's worth bouncing the back wheel off the road a few times.

I was SO glad of this tip 10 miles from home in this morning's freezing weather. Thank you!

Now where's that chain whip...

screenman

Legendary Member

Get up earlier.

OP
OP
D

dfthe1

IMG_7740.JPG
IMG_7742.JPG
IMG_7740.JPG
IMG_7742.JPG
IMG_7744.JPG
So...

(@Kumquat -- you will probably find this relevant, too)

I've taken off the cassette to get to the free hub, which seemed to be a standard Shimano type (loose bearings, tell-tale hump in the hub). I've removed the axle and bearings but just can't figure out how to remove the freehub body. A 10mm hex wrench is too small, and I can't actually see any evidence of a hex nut anywhere, or anything else to remove the freehub.

Is it possible the freehub body just isn't removable? It's a Halfords cheapie so no info about the hub or freehub brand.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/carrera-crixus-limited-edition-cyclocross-bike-2015

Any ideas?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
As I remember the allen key goes from the non drive side and not through the freehub bit. Sounds illogical but it a long time since I removed one.

Top Bottom