Odd question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickTB

Veteran
Hi all,
I’ve been cycling for more years than I care to remember, and today I’m stumped. I’ve always had a 3 ring set up ( whatever that’s called) and today I’ve been offered a cyclocross bike with a 1 X 10 set up. In real world terms how much difference does that make to my day to day riding?
On all but one of my bikes I’ve always stayed in the middle ring and moved up and down the rear cog as needed. Apart from some steep hills it’s always just worked.
With a 1x 10 set up what would I be giving up in terms of legwork on a hill or on the flat?
Sorry it it’s a daft question, it’s just something I’ve never needed to ask!
TIA
Nick

Sharky

Guru
You have to count the teeth and study the gear tables. When cassettes were 6 or 7 sprockets, you needed a triple at the front to give a wide range of gears. Now with 10 sprockets, you can achieve the same width of gear ratios with just one ring at the front. Also with triples, there can be a lot of overlap in ratios.

So study the gear tables and understand the ratios.
Good luck

Ps my bike was a triple, then a double, now a 1x10 set up.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm 66 and ride with people of similar age. A couple of them went to 1x on new bikes and are now converting back to 2x. The main comment is they find themselves spinning out.

I considered it for my new winter/gravel bike but decided I liked the comfort of knowing I've got 22 gears to choose from! Perhaps it's just in my head?

johnblack

Über Member
I ride 1 x 12 SRAM eagle on my MTB and it took a bit of getting used to, I still find I sometimes have to toggle between gears on some flat roads but off road it's perfect, would never bother with a double anymore, absolutely no problem with the chainline. Not sure I'd give up the double on the road bike though, but that's a different style of riding.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I'm 66 and ride with people of similar age. A couple of them went to 1x on new bikes and are now converting back to 2x. The main comment is they find themselves spinning out.

I considered it for my new winter/gravel bike but decided I liked the comfort of knowing I've got 22 gears to choose from! Perhaps it's just in my head?

Like you, I would be inclined to stick with double, or, triple on the front, but.... thinking about just now... I wonder does having a single on the front make for easier get "management", ie, you do not have to ponder the situation where you are changing to progressively larger cogs on the back, only to find, you need to switch down on the front, and then, have to spin, or, change "up" on the rear? Haven't tried it, so, no practical experience...

Sharky

Guru
Like you, I would be inclined to stick with double, or, triple on the front, but.... thinking about just now... I wonder does having a single on the front make for easier get "management", ie, you do not have to ponder the situation where you are changing to progressively larger cogs on the back, only to find, you need to switch down on the front, and then, have to spin, or, change "up" on the rear? Haven't tried it, so, no practical experience...
Yes, this is one of the advantages of a 1x system. Just one click up or down to get to the next gear. No more Shimano Shuffle.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hi all,
I’ve been offered a cyclocross bike with a 1 X 10 set up.
I have one, hopefully someone hasn't offered you mine, must check the shed....

You need to work out what the gearing is, mine for example is 38 chainring and 11-34 on the back. compared to my road bike 50:34 and 12-29, i've got a slightly lower low gear for hills, and a more noticeably lower top gear, but then unless you're pedalling hell for leather down a hill, that isn't really a concern and then is free wheeling slightly earlier really a concern? I can hit 25-30mph pedalling on the flat and by that point any higher gearing advantage is probable going to be overcome by air resistance as my legs haven't got enough watts in them!

I don't find much real world difference. other than the fact the CX bike has a bar end shifter

OP
OP
NickTB

NickTB

Veteran
I have one, hopefully someone hasn't offered you mine, must check the shed....

You need to work out what the gearing is, mine for example is 38 chainring and 11-34 on the back. compared to my road bike 50:34 and 12-29, i've got a slightly lower low gear for hills, and a more noticeably lower top gear, but then unless you're pedalling hell for leather down a hill, that isn't really a concern and then is free wheeling slightly earlier really a concern? I can hit 25-30mph pedalling on the flat and by that point any higher gearing advantage is probable going to be overcome by air resistance as my legs haven't got enough watts in them!

I don't find much real world difference. other than the fact the CX bike has a bar end shifter

So its a 42T chainring, and 11-42T cassette.

I have to say its so difficult to work out (my number dyslexia isn't helping!) I suppose the only thing I can do is ride it and see

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It is highly likely that a 1X as you list will give you a greater range than the middle ring on your current bike, but not the range that you would have at either end by using all 3 rings. If you are happy with that then it could be a good swap.

OP
OP
NickTB

NickTB

Veteran
It is highly likely that a 1X as you list will give you a greater range than the middle ring on your current bike, but not the range that you would have at either end by using all 3 rings. If you are happy with that then it could be a good swap.
Ok that makes much more sense to me, thank you. Off to research the bike now!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
So its a 42T chainring, and 11-42T cassette.

I have to say its so difficult to work out (my number dyslexia isn't helping!) I suppose the only thing I can do is ride it and see
Ah that has a decent range with the 11-42 cassette, so you are 1:1 for your lowest gear, likely to be as low or lower than your triple - its touring gearing range. Unless you're a budding Olympic athlete you are unlikely to need a higher gear that 42:11. You might notice that the gaps between gears are a bit bigger steps that you are used to, but not a major inconvenience.

OP
OP
NickTB

NickTB

Veteran
Ah that has a decent range with the 11-42 cassette, so you are 1:1 for your lowest gear, likely to be as low or lower than your triple - its touring gearing range. Unless you're a budding Olympic athlete you are unlikely to need a higher gear that 42:11. You might notice that the gaps between gears are a bit bigger steps that you are used to, but not a major inconvenience.
Thank you. It’s a minefield this cycling lark!

johnblack

Über Member
yeah this is the only issue, bit more pronounced when you ride 32 x 10:50 ! So I do sometimes run out, but never up hill!

Sharky

Guru
Although it's a minefield with gears, a lot of us also ride a single speed or fixed and we still get up the hills and down the other side. In fact, when I do my 1 hour loop on my single speed, I am usually quicker then when I ride my 1x10 geared bike. Defies logic, but a SS is lighter and you try a bit harder on the hills.

Top Bottom