Odd shifting problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My boardman with sram apex has suddenly decied not to shift into the smallest cog at the back.
Fiddled with the high stop and cable tension but even with the cable tensioner turned fully in the shift does not happen crisply.
The bike has not been dropped so i doubt its the mech hanger.

Iain M Norman

Always worth getting someone to check the hanger alignment. Also check that the lock ring is tight.

lpretro1

Undo cable and slacken off adjusters then reset. You can check that the rd will go onto the sprocket by moving by hand

spacecat

My 105 mech was doing this, replaced the outer cable next to the mech, adjusted the high stop. Turned out there was too much play in the top jockey wheel. Shimano ones have a certain amount of play from new, don't know about sram.

Replaced with some tacx wheels and now shifts better than new.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
My boardman with sram apex has suddenly decied not to shift into the smallest cog at the back.
Fiddled with the high stop and cable tension but even with the cable tensioner turned fully in the shift does not happen crisply.
The bike has not been dropped so i doubt its the mech hanger.

There can be numerous possible reasons but my money is on corroded/gunged up cable/housing. You can check by releasing the cable from the rear mech and see whether it glides in and out of the housings smoothly.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Cheers for the replies ,
as i had already guessed it likely to be the cable but i wanted to look at other possibilities.TBH i have not really used the smallest sprocket as its an 11-28 cassette so its there for long fast downhills or wind assisted runs.Who knows it could have been like that from day one given Halfords dodgy set up and i never noticed till now.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

There can be numerous possible reasons but my money is on corroded/gunged up cable/housing. You can check by releasing the cable from the rear mech and see whether it glides in and out of the housings smoothly.
I think you have it, on closer inspection the cable is loose untill it goes under the BB then the tension gets tighter.Pretty sure i have some spare outer knocking about.

Top Bottom