Odd things that have happened to you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Inspired by @CarlP 's body in the hotel thread, I thought it was about time we had a 'strange things that have happened to you' thread. I've got quite a few, but off the top of my head, here are some starters:
1) (already mentioned in the CarlP's thread) given CPR to a guy on a ferry
2) Been standing drunk-chatting in a quiet Spanish road, to a Spaniard, who I didn't know. We were about 2 foot from the kerb. A car came out of nowhere, and knocked him flying, just missing me. He flew right up in the air. The car slowed, then sped off. I helped him to his feet, made sure he was OK, offered to call an ambulance, but he seemed fine, and walked off, thanking me profusely for my help!
3) Also in Spain, two guys and a woman tried to bundle me into a car outside a night club. I fought them off, and made a hasty exit. I don't think their intentions were particularly friendly.
4) Lost a rain jacket from rear jersey pocket on a cycling sportive. Then found it in the road, ahead of me, about 10 miles later on. It was the same one. :wacko:
5) Been held by immigration in New York for 2 hours. No explanation given, but then was just told I could leave.
... more to come, p'raps later.
Add yours below.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I went to a callbox as a student to ring my mother (no landline, pre-mobile times). A bizarre conversation ensued in which my mum pretended to be a woman in her early 20s irritated by her boyfriend Colin talking in a 'posh voice' (eh? :whistle:).

The riddle was solved when we abandoned the call and the phone immediately rang. I picked up and it was my mum with a story about having just chatted to someone named Colin who was irritated with his young English girlfriend pretending to be a 60 year old Scottish woman! :wacko:

That's what they used to call 'crossed lines'! :laugh:

tyred

Legendary Member
Found a large and unopened tin of Quality Street lying on a minor country road while cycling before Christmas 2011.

How did they get there? No houses anywhere near, anyone taking their shopping home would likely have had it safe and sound in the boot of their car and it's not the sort of thing you decide to chuck out the car window (I suppose it's possible someone had a sudden "I saw the light" conversion to losing weight and decided to dump his sweeties).

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Taken into hospital one Friday evening last September to have my appendix taken out the next day, the only bed they had free was on the 'infected wounds' surgical ward, which, having to have 3 keyhole incisions, didn't please me much.... I was prepped for my operation and taken off for my operation- at the same time a man was being 'booked in' with the curtains drawn round the next bed.

On returning the surgeon came to see me to explain what would happen next. After he'd gone a voice from the next bed asked me my name and then started to laugh. He was a land surveyor we used who had damaged his tendons falling on barbed wire while surveying one of my sites and had been rushed up to Newcastle for an emergency operation. We'd never met though we'd completed dozens of jobs over the last 10 years and he recognised my voice...

The week before he'd asked me to design a house for his family, so when his wife came to visit him on the Sunday morning we sat round his bed and designed his new house... can't even get away from work in hospital!

During my first visit to Australia in 1989, one Friday I went to meet an Aussie mate at his workplace to have a few beers after work.

The lift stopped at the 3rd floor on the way down, doors opened, someone got in, and as the doors were closing, a girl standing with a group of mates, looked at me and pointed and said in a strong Aussie accent 'I know you!' The doors closed and the lift went down to street level.

I didn't have a clue who it was, so my mate said I had to find out: so back to the 3rd floor and she was still there. It turned out she was my best schoolmate's (the mid 70s) cousin who had emigrated to Australia10 years previously.

and no, I didn't!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I bought my first flat in Surrey, but I was going to be on holiday in France on the day of completion. I arranged for my solicitor to complete the sale by proxy. I went to France, with my mates getting pissed in a night club on the day of completion, and whilst strutting my funky stuff on the dance floor, someone knocked into me, I was about to deck him one, but when I faced the bloke it was the estate agent that sold me the flat.

tyred

Legendary Member
The people that bought our last house were the same people that bought the previous one we sold.

Some determined stalkers out there....

as a child I had a 1000 piece jigsaw that a number of pieces went missing from - we knew where they were, just could not get to them - they had gone between the floor boards of the house.
we moved out of that house quite quickly and a number of years later in the next house, having come home from school I lay down on the bed and somethins stuck into me... all of the missing pieces from the jigsaw were on my bed (new house, new bed, new bedding, school uniform, different school)...

on tour a man came over to look at the bikes whilst I was waiting outside of the tourist information office in Tallinn, Estonia. The bikes were often a talking point with engineers/mechanics because of their design and the rohloff hub. Anyhow we got talking as you do and established that he was from Surrey, I asked where, Farnham - that was about 4 miles from where we had lived in Elstead. The more we talked the more realised he actually worked on the same floor of the same MOD building that my OH worked in, for the same agency... and both of them had taken redundancy that year...

postman

Legendary Member
On holiday in Lanzarote,we are in a jeep us four and a young couple.We are in a convoy it's a great day out.We have just had a rest stop looking at what was left of an old volcanoe.
We get back into the jeep,and i try to ignore a persistent thought that is inside my head.We continue the day out.We are dropped off outside out hotel along with the young couple.
Just as we are saying goodbye i find myself blurting out,

" Who is Martin and what does he mean to you"
"How do you know Martin" the girl said.
"I don't replied i"
"Well we have just got married and we are short of money,so Martin is one of our best friends and has paid for most of this holiday"
My reply is "tell Martin everything is going to be alright".
i have no idea who Martin was or is,but i just had this message to tell the young couple.I never saw them again that holiday so i don't know what happened.
Weird really weird.

gbb

Legendary Member
After an accident that left me hospitalised for two weeks, off work for two months and a year to get back to full strength...some short time after getting home from hospital, i realised my wedding band had gone.
It was an nasty and odd accident in itself and resulted in me being rushed to hospital in a near delerious state in an ambulance. Several days were as good as lost to me so i assumed my wedding band had been stolen, misplaced or lost in the accident itself or in hospital.
I forgot all about....maybe 18 months later at work i was doing some tidying up in the parts stores, pulled out a storage bin....to see my ring sitting there amongst some components. :huh:

I used to have a very very good memory (a thing of the past now :blush::laugh:)...i knew the location of virtually every one of the thousands of spares in that store ...but for the life of me,couldnt figure how the ring got there...i didnt remember going in that bin for years :whistle:

gbb

Legendary Member
Some years ago, we were in Calverton Car boot (Notts) and the wife saw someone who was selling GHD hair straighteners (yes i know, suckers). The story was plausible, hairdresser that had packed it in, GHDs looked real...we paid, got em home...no worky :angry:..fake :blush:.
Ah well, shrugs shoulders and live and learn.

About three years later we were on holiday in Tunisia and met a couple from Mansfield (north Notts). Just seemed normal folk, hard working family people who enjoyed a laugh...although Tony was a bit of a 'Jack the Lad'
We all got on fabulously and had a really good time together, spent most of our time chatting and relaxing etc etc.
As things get more relaxed, people open up...and they told us he'd done a year in prison the previous year....for selling loads of fake GHDs :ohmy:
:laugh: You barsteward...you owe us £30 ;)

Top Bottom