Odd things you've seen - take 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

levad

Veteran
Arch said:
And here it is - the whole album was named Deltics I find out...

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozY3Y28Mksg

And the loco:

809_14_4873---Deltic-55022-Royal-Scots-Grey_web.jpg

Someone cannier than me would be able to say what that tender behind it belongs to....

I would have thought it should be red if it was a tender behind. Bye ....

In torrential rain I was cycling back from the city late yesterday evening after a go-cart session, and was approaching a bridge (I was underneath it) and a massive wall of water cascaded down on the other side. It was well lit up by the street light, also on the other side.

I was fearing a further drenching (if it´s possible to get any wetter after already being soaked) but made it. Although another wave crashed down just after I´d emerged. It looked very surreal to see such a volume of water fall from above in one hit! :evil:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Arch said:
I was very excited a while back to see the Class 37 Thunderbirds* on tour on my way back from Winchester, they passed the other way at Didcot. I don't suppose anyone else on the train even noticed them....

(a bunch of Class 37 diesels* used to run out and pick up broken down trains. They are all named after Thunderbirds characters.)

*Class 37, a right proper diesel, second only to the Deltic* in industrial scale grunt...
[spotter mode] Actually, Thunderbirds named after the characters are Class 57 locos, which are re-engined (and engineered) Class 47 locos.[/spotter mode] It's my job. I've got down and dirty with one, and have the stains on my jacket to prove it.

BrumJim said:
[spotter mode] Actually, Thunderbirds named after the characters are Class 57 locos, which are re-engined (and engineered) Class 47 locos.[/spotter mode] It's my job. I've got down and dirty with one, and have the stains on my jacket to prove it.

Yeah I've seen them around.

Arch

Married to Night Train
BrumJim said:

Oh, thank you, I got that wrong then. My fount of all railway knowledge dies a while back, so some stuff is getting hazy.

I'll have to relearn it all to impress my nephew. 2 years old, and can say "pendolino" already...

ChrisKH

Guru
I seem to have missed something here. Is there a missing word in the title of this post? Does 'odd things' translate as something else to trainspotters? :laugh:

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I once saw a zebra from a train. The train was taking me from Milan to Lake Como, and the zebra was just standing in a field all by itself ! (No-one in my family believes I saw it - but I did, I really did, honest.. no, I really did.. yes it was a zebra .. hey, I was looking out of the window, and I saw it .. I don't care if you don't believe me ....etc)

der alt

Arch said:
There are often steam trains sitting at York station at the start or end of special runs. If the wind's in the right direction, I hear them whistling.

I was very excited a while back to see the Class 37 Thunderbirds* on tour on my way back from Winchester, they passed the other way at Didcot. I don't suppose anyone else on the train even noticed them....

(a bunch of Class 37 diesels* used to run out and pick up broken down trains. They are all named after Thunderbirds characters.)

*Class 37, a right proper diesel, second only to the Deltic* in industrial scale grunt...

*Deltic... oh, I'll shut up now....

GRICER :biggrin:

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Had same experience as the OP on the A64 near York on 25 August. Huge whoosh of steam either side of an overbridge then just caught sight of it heading south down the East Coast Line.

Nothing quite like the noise of a Deltic though. Was on one of the last tours but not present for the final emotional departure in Jan 1992.

Ben M

This didn't happen commuting, but it was definitely strange.

I was cycling from the Hook of Holland to Rotterdam, along the bank of a waterway, on one of the many very good Dutch cycle paths, when I saw a bloke in a deck chair at the side of the path. At the time, the weather was like this:

SANY0065.jpg

As you can see, it was decidedly gloomy.

I get closer and I can now see that this guy is massively tanned, I mean properly mahogony, it's clearly natural, but this guy is practically black (but he was such a colour that it was clear that he started off white)

As I got closer still I noticed that he was in around his late forties or fifties, and also what he was wearing, a yellow banana-hammock. Yuck.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
der alt said:

der alt said:
An extreme train spotter :biggrin:

I hesitate to mention this. :shy::blush:

I think the noise of a Deltic is because it is a three-phase engine, not two, or is it four. So it goes Dub Dub dub Dub Dub dub :biggrin:

I think a Gricer is someone who knows a lot about railways, including the intricacies of timetables, signalling, history of trains, their numbers, and the maiden name of the mother of the Engine Driver.

IIRC Mr Gricer used to write to the Telegruff along the lines :thumbsdown: of

The train departing from Ely at 12.20 crosses with the train from March at 13.40, so why does the 14.58 from St Neots not arrive at Felixstowe until 16.30.

* takes off bobble hat, and anorack and puts notebook away safely *

Top Bottom