Odd things you've seen - take 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
The Deltic is 3 stroke, yes, hence the name - the triangular formation of the pistons is like the greek letter Delta.

Talking of timetabling, Soltydog reckons the Tour of Britain will be crossing a level crossing in Howden next week, just when there's a train due....

I'm nowhere near as knowledgable as a proper trainspotter, I just remember odd bits and pieces, gleaned from a late lamented friend who knew loads.

thomas

the tank engine
OKAY ENOUGH TRAINSPOTTING!!

Yesterday I cycled past a guy with a big television camera. So if anyone sees any footage with a cyclist with a helmet camera on, trying to make it look easy (and failing)...probably with a mile tail back behind, let me know!! :sad:

I was tempted to go past waving and yelling "MORRRNNINNGGG!!"...but decided the guy might not really appreciate it and I don't fancy being on a out takes show :eek:

classic33

Leg End Member
Arch said:
And here it is - the whole album was named Deltics I find out...

And the loco:

809_14_4873---Deltic-55022-Royal-Scots-Grey_web.jpg

Someone cannier than me would be able to say what that tender behind it belongs to....

That looks more like a "baby" Deltic(class 37) as opposed to a Deltic(class 55),
Front is wrong, see http://www.deltic-follower.co.uk/.

Tender behind could belong to one of the A4's possibly "Sir Nigel Gresley"
http://www.docbrown.info/docspics/nymr/locoA4pacifics.htm

Oddest thing locomotive wise, was being passed going uphill by a complete locomotive & coaches, on low loaders.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Um, that looks exactly like the thing you posted a link to...

This is a Class 37. Three window panes, not two.

kjarvis03.jpg

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm not sure that deltics are three-stroke. I'm not aware of a three stroke engine.
They're a fast-revving (in train terms) two-stroke diesel, whereas most diesel trains are a slow-revving 4 stroke. Deltics idle at around 700 rpm, which isn't far off the red-line for a 125.
They do sound chuffin' great though!!!!

classic33

Leg End Member
I'll bow to thee Archie.

It was the headcode box that threw me. Only seen that one on those painted green.
Bit of a difference between the origional prototype & production.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
classic33 said:
I'll bow to thee Archie.

It was the headcode box that threw me. Only seen that one on those painted green.
Bit of a difference between the origional prototype & production.

The prototype is the blue painted one now in the museum at Shildon.

The 22 production deltics were all built with headcode windows. They were generally removed and replaced with marker lights when the use of headcodes was dropped in the early seventies. Thus they would be present on pictures in the early green livery but generally gone in later pictures in BR blue.

After retirement from main line service the headcode boxes were often restored on the machines kept in preservation. The example in the picture is one such.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
And while on the subject of machines with magic noises..........

Bromping back from the newsagents yesterday I was passed by the Battle of Britain flight's magnificent Lancaster. Buzzed Bugbrooke at around 200 feet, maybe connected with the fact that we have an ex RAF photographer in the village.

TheDoctor said:
I'm not sure that deltics are three-stroke. I'm not aware of a three stroke engine.
They're a fast-revving (in train terms) two-stroke diesel, whereas most diesel trains are a slow-revving 4 stroke. Deltics idle at around 700 rpm, which isn't far off the red-line for a 125.
They do sound chuffin' great though!!!!

They were a three crank, opposed piston engine

Good diagram showing how they worked here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic

Top Bottom