Oddest thing found/seen lying in the road?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Ditto! Is it me, or are there more interesting things lying about in the road or on verges once you get outside the M25 .... ? :rolleyes:

I think you are right!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Yesterday I found a wallet with two credit cards a 16-25 rail card and a national insurance number card.

I found a trail of credit cards on one ride so I stopped and picked it all up, found the wallet too with the guy's licence in it, it was about a 10 mile detour but took it back = good karma moment.

A dead armadillo once, but that was in Texas.

oldroadman

Veteran
Riding back to the hotel from a stage finish, somewhere near Doncaster (yes, we did potter back as a gentle warm down in those distant days), an old pit boot was on the road. Duly collected, cleaned up, stowed in the team wagon. Two days later after a bit of a night out the team mech came back with a lady. Not the prettiest you ever saw...guess what prize he was awarded nect morning? The boot stayed with us for the rest of the season, and at the end of season bash, quite a few could have qualified!!

Riding through the park in the morning a few years back (well, quite a few years back now), there was a bloke curled up asleep under a bench

Oh no, hang on - that was me! And the bench was only 100 yards from home too :laugh:

A rattlesnake - a very alive one lying right accross my path as I descended a hill. The only option was to bunny hop it. I was in California at the time, on a mountain bike, so not technically commuting..

Moodyman

Legendary Member
A spanner / wrench which I rode past, stopped, turned back and picked up.

Another occasion, rode past some scattered galvanised screws for three days, before realising on the fourth day that I could use them too. Picked up and placed in pannier. The screws were new and of high quality.

The best find was a Volkswagen Golf wheel plate. It was lying in the tall grass along a busy rural road. Road past it for about a month and wasn’t interested. Then one Sunday saw a neighbour cleaning his VW Golf with a missing wheel plate. Picked up the lost wheel plate the following Monday and handed it to a very happy neighbour.

I keep on reading the thread title as the 'Oldest thing seen lying in the road'; I seen an old drunk tramp once that's old but not that odd!

gary r

Guru
1 x wallet full of credit cards, 2 x handbags all probably stolen emptied and then thown from a car.I managed to contact the owner of one bag as it had her business card in it,she told me her bag was stolen from her on the train.a rather large pink dildo that i run over and nearly came off the bike!!!!

chris-s

The only thing I've ever found that has made me stop was some girls driving licence just before christmas. Stuck it in an envelope with a card and posted it off to her in anonymity.

Chris

cd365

Guru
I once saw a dead badger on the side of the road. Not that unusual, but my thought process certainly was. I don't know what I'd had in my coffee/ on my porridge that morning but as I approached said badger, his upturned black and white stripey head on full view I thought to myself:

'F***! A panda!'

PMSL

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was riding Pain In The Pennines and I was on a fast descent, slaloming round large heaps of fresh horse manure when I spotted a smaller pile just in front of me. As I rode past that I noticed that it was in fact a jacket in a stuff-bag. I continued until I got to the bottom of the hill but felt guilty - should I go back up the hill for it or not?

Oh damn! Back up the hill I went ...

It was a nice-looking jacket. I can't remember the make but it was obviously well-made and new. I put in my bag and rode on.

When I got to the first feed-station, I handed the jacket in and explained that I was fairly certain one of the other riders on the event had dropped it since we were about the only people on that lonely hill at that time in the morning.

I suffered all the way round and was probably one of the last riders to complete the course. I got chatting to the organiser at the end and happened to mention finding that jacket. He told me that a rather glum young female rider had come to the desk earlier to ask if anybody had found a jacket? She'd bought it the day before for about £80, had put in her back pocket at the start, but didn't notice that it was missing until the second feed station.

Apparently she was extremely chuffed when he gave it to her! Made me feel all warm inside, did that. So if it was your jacket, you know who to thank! ;)

Alan Whicker

The desiccated head of a very large catfish (Bethnal Green)

A magnificent, fully-grown stag - dead but still warm. Judging by the bits of headlight it was a victim of a hit and run. Two of us had to drag it onto the verge, an inch at a time. (Exmoor)

A very large, pink sex toy. I wasn't actually on my bike, but walking down the hill into the village at first light. Walked back five minutes later and it had gone. (Robin Hoods Bay, Yorkshire)

Loads of single shoes and gloves. Why do the shoes always seem to be for left feet?

A foot. Ran over a shoe, traffic either side dictated the amount of room I had. Shoe felt harder than than it should have been. Stopped & went back to check it. The foot was still inside.
The rest of the person had been removed from the scene a few hours earlier. Found this bit out when I took the shoe to the police station to report "property found".

When I lived in Bethnal Green some poor soul got run over at the end of our road. In the accident they lost their foot, which couldn't be found at the time. Turned up months later on the roof of a nearby house.

ChrisKH

Guru
I once stopped at the lights on the Embankment and I had serviced the Brommie the week before. Realised at some point I was going to have to replace a part which I cannot for the life of me describe but it stops the metal from clashing when you fold up the rear triangle (looks like one of those rubbers you used to attach to typewriters years ago to rub out a mistake). Looked down and there was the part in question which had obviously fallen off another relatively new Brompton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom