Oddities of drum brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This morning my front left drum brake kept sticking on and would only release after my wheel had turned a couple of times (not fully on, but on enough to make me slow setting off).

Is this an oddity of drum brakes I've just never noticed before, or do they need a service?

Or, given it was apparently cold enough for my mirrors to frost over en-route, were they just too cold?

Help would be appreciated.

Lighter fluid sprayed onto the frozen cable and ignited is not recommended but can be a temptation.......but you risk the trike going up in flames .:evil:
So moving onto serious ideas and solutions .
Inline oiler's mounted midway on the brake outer cables allow lube to be injected and at the same time push out all the rubbish and moisture .:dance:
For Artic Monkeys .....I have fitted insulated outer cable "long johns " for touring in colder climes .:cold:
Finally Artic grade grease is very usefull albeit a little OTT !:snowball:

Pre winter strip out and service of the brakes is the best form of maintenance.
Replacement cables are very cheap to source .
Home that helps :reading:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I think the noodles are there primarily to reduce the large loop of cable outer which would otherwise be required.

You may have a point Mickle but Mike Allen (who built them in my then home town of King's Lynn) definitely stated that the noodles would help stop water ingress.
My previous trikes had the cables exiting downwards so not such a problem.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Definitely clean and service and possibly renew the cables.

I use silicone grease on my cables, also have a rubber boot at the end of the adjuster (like the old motor cycle's had) also packed with silicone grease.

Not had any problems for the past two(2) years.

HTH

Top Bottom