Of 3 small holes and Brakes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...my Galaxy brake braze ons have three small holes on them for the spring wire jobby. The wire is in the middle hole. Why have I got three holes?:biggrin:

To adjust the tension on the spring

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..ok...erm...why do i need to do that? I mean dont i just pull the cable tighter?

I have two sets of brake blocks. One set has more rubber on it than the other and it therefore 'deeper'/ more life before I hit the wear out line...is this where the 3 holes come in to it maybe?

They allow for big changes in spring tension which may have been a useful feature when cantilevers were first developed (for tandems) and in the intervening 70 odd years no-one thought to remove the other two redundant spring holes.

02GF74

Über Member
^^^ hm, dunno about that, maybe spring from different manufacturers had different tension?

but wot he said - to allow you to adjust tension; can't remember which hole I use.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...so you mean I am carrying around the extra weight of two unecessary holes for nothing?...I'm off to write another stiff letter to Dawes:biggrin:

Bigtallfatbloke said:
...so you mean I am carrying around the extra weight of two unecessary holes for nothing?...I'm off to write another stiff letter to Dawes:biggrin:

They're 531 holes, so they're lighter than normal cro moly holes.;)

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

My bike is 631 I think...I assume that is better because 6 is bigger than 5...does this mean my holes are better quality?

..I can see the only way i will ever find out the truth is to try each hole ...3 holes are usually said to be , better than one .

woohoo

Veteran
Bigtallfatbloke said:

So how much do these holes weigh? ;)

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...well that would depend on how big they are...these are small, but there are three of them....and then there is the extra drag these things create on my legs...it's really just not on if the serve no useful porpoise.

Top Bottom