+/- of riding SS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Emile Flournoy

Emile Flournoy

Formerly known as Yellow-Road
I'm glad you mentioned shoes as I've found cycling shoes are more important on a road bike than cleats are in baseball.

I just bought a pr of Chrome 2.0's & unlike conventional cycling shoes you can actually dismount & walk around normally in Chromes without looking like an idiot duck-walking in a solid sole shoe.

Last edited:

fossala

Guru
I was talking to @colly If I suddenly come across a big pothole at speed, I can bunnyhop it but colly said that he didn't fancy trying to bunnyhop on fixed. I also don't fancy the ridiculously high cadence needed to descend quickly - I

I did the Dartmoor ghost 160k last weekend and on a fast decent we came across a pothole and I bunny hoped it as I had no other option. I didn't die but it isn't something I'd want to repeat in a hurry. I'm not sure we would be having the same conversation if it was at the tail end of a 600k.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Bunny hopping and farting, the two things I struggle with when riding fixed. My fastest times up some hills near me are on my fixed bike, however sometimes when I bite off more than I can chew it can be a bit painful.

fossala

Guru
Bunny hopping and farting, the two things I struggle with when riding fixed. My fastest times up some hills near me are on my fixed bike, however sometimes when I bite off more than I can chew it can be a bit painful.
Too right. I was spinning down Penpillick yesterday (1mile 10% decent) and miss bounced and got slammed into my unpadded SMP saddle, fun times!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My fastest times up some hills near me are on my fixed bike, however sometimes when I bite off more than I can chew it can be a bit painful.
I once watched the National Hillclimb Championships on Ramsbottom Rake, which has sections of 20-25%. Many of the riders were riding fixed. The ones who chose their gear ratio wisely made it look (relatively) comfortable. The ones who were overgeared suffered horribly. I have a vague memory of one or two of them coming to a dead stop and actually falling off! :laugh:

OP
OP
Emile Flournoy

Emile Flournoy

This brings up a great point that hasn't been made yet. Cycling, especially SS road cycling is IMO (feel free to correct me) at least 50%+ an athletic skill and the specific bicycle in question is secondary.

OP
OP
Emile Flournoy

Emile Flournoy

I am sure there are some superhumans on this forum who could ride a SS road bike on some of the rides I sometimes do in the Brecon Beacons. Good luck to them, but I wouldn't stand a chance.

I would say the only disadvantage of a SS road bike, for most riders, would be that you have to be selective of the routes you use.

What about a SS mtb? I'm thinking about getting this one >
https://www.amazon.com/Gravity-Sing...3490461&s=gateway&sprefix=Gravity+moun&sr=8-4

The bike looks fine, but the same principles apply. How much climbing would you do offroad? The climbs tend to be shorter but steeper offroad, at least around where I ride.
If you feel you have the strength to do it give it a try, but why not first find a suitable gear on your geared bike then try riding it for a couple of weeks without changing gear? That will give you a taste of the issues.

OP
OP
Emile Flournoy

Emile Flournoy

I actually found the rigid version of the G29 for $150 CHEAPER!!! So I bought it. I have a 52T ring coming so I might swap out the 32T stock ring once I get adjusted to the bike. Owning a cheap Schwinn full suspension mtb I hate the sag and lacking lockouts bottoms out the cheap Suntour front shock even off a 6in curb so screw it. Its flat as a pancake where I live & the only hills I encounter are man made little hills so I won't be missing much. Although quick starts won't happen w/ a 52T

colly

Re member eR

Agreed. ^_^

Never tried bunny hoping on fixed. Can barely manage it on geared so I'm not missing much.

12boy

Guru
I've ridden fixed for 5 years or but currently ride single speed, or , if steep climbing is involved, geared bikes.
The advantages of fixed are, at least for me:
It requires that I pay attention, which after riding the same routes for 25 years, is good as I tend to get high on endorphins and space out.
Climbing is easier in a given gear than the same gear in SS or geared bikes and better traction control on slick or icy roads.
Fixed is the simplest mechanically , no freewheel to wear out, no derailleur adjustments and maybe no rear brake either. More than any other bike I felt like I was wearing the bike rather than riding it
.The disadvantages are only one gear choice, spinning too fast on downhill stretches and a little awkardness in stopping invterms of pedal position especially with SPDs.
The advantages of SS over fixed are largely going down long grades and being able to rotate the pedals without moving the bike, as when stopped. Maybe not quite the "one with the bike feeling" but close.
I have a number of bikes I ride frequently and I ride my Surly Steamroller set up as SS often. I find it fun and comfortable. I could only have 1 bike it would be my Brompton, but the Surly is a close second

Top Bottom