Off shelf or hand built wheelset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattobrien

Guru
I think that off the shel wheels are an easier but for people with less knowledge of hubs, rims and spokes. The first set of wheels I bought where Mavic Ksyrium Eitles and were light and strong, no complaints.

I wanted a set of Enve's for a different bike and the LBS were going to order then built, but due to the lead time on built wheels, they ordered the parts and built them themselves. Exactly s
The same as they would have been hand built either way, even if idered whole.

I have recently got a commuter with discs and needed wheels as part of the built. Speaking to LBS about the bike and spec etc, they recommended hand built wheels with a specific budget. I was happy to go with their recommendation on hubs, rims and spokes. They know me and were building up the bike and could make something that would fit the requirement.

Getting to know my LBS and my LBS getting to know me has helped a lot on this for me as with the commuter I wouldn't have known why I should pick one rim over a another. They do as it's their day job and have practical experience of this sort of thing.

Horses for courses really.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

a good wheel builder will be able to give the ideal hub/rim combo for your needs... be it racing, touring, MTB... they should be the experts... so to answer your question... yes, just explain and they should deliver.
This^^^^^
They should talk you through what your requirements are, how heavy you are, whether you want a stiff or compliant wheel, durability, serviceability etc. Weight is important in a wheel, but it's not everything.
Harry Rowland and DRC would be my first choice. In fact my next wheels will be from DRC I reckon.
The other benefit of handbuilt wheels is that you'll have something different from the rest of the crowd!

Decided to definitely upgrade my wheelset to something lighter and was going to go for the Fullcrum Racer 3 set which will be £350ish and I can get fitted for £15. .

Am I missing something?? £15 to fit a pair of wheels?? Please tell me you don't pay someone to put wheels on your bike.

Guilty as charged. I am getting a few other things checked but have no idea how to move the cassette over.
Chainwhip and cassette tool for your brand of Cassette, then you tube is your friend

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Oek25xKJ0

and for a little over £15 you will be able to swap cassettes for ever more :thumbsup:

Please send me £10 and I will send a certificate and a sachet of coffee by return (please state if you require milk and sugar)

OP
OP
50000tears

50000tears

Chainwhip and cassette tool for your brand of Cassette, then you tube is your friend

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Oek25xKJ0

and for a little over £15 you will be able to swap cassettes for ever more :thumbsup:

Please send me £10 and I will send a certificate and a sachet of coffee by return (please state if you require milk and sugar)

Ha ha many thanks my friend. Looks like even I could not mess that up, but then again experience tells me that I can foul up even the simplest of tasks!

U

User33236

I just found out today that an anaesthetic consultant I deal with fairly regularity with builds wheels for £7.50 plus parts. Says it give him time and an excuse to relax. Might be having a non-work related chat with him soon :smile:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
(i think the components added up to about £120 for the pair)... the build is what makes them so solid.

The build is certainly one reason your wheels are so solid but the components also play an important part.

The question for your local LBS is, do they do good hand built wheels? Not all wheel builders are created equal. :smile:

Couldn't agree more.

Harry Ramsay has a well earned reputation.

Since the OP is not too far from me I'd say read my signature for free wheel building.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
only when assembled with the proper care and attention :smile:

I know what you are saying but you cannot ignore the components. Even a set of wheels built by Harry Rowland with the wrong components for a heavy rider wont last much at all. Try to get Harry Rowland to build a wheel for a heavy rider with the wrong components and I'm sure he wont agree to do it.

I totally agree that the proper care and attention go a long way for a great set of wheels, correct tension and even tension are the key.

OP
OP
50000tears

50000tears

Quick follow up.

A visit to my LBS today met with a final decision being made. The guy who runs the shop has 30 years of experience of wheel building and is well used by local groups. The clincher was that he only changes parts and doesn't charge for the build or for fitting. So new wheel set now ordered, looks like they will come in under 1500g, and can't wait to get them fitted in the next couple of weeks. ^_^

A big thanks to RRSODL. Our private chat gave me the confidence to go down this road, and hopefully other forum members will be in a position to use your services as I came so close to doing myself.

Top Bottom