Off to Paris in the morning...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
So, along with a dozen and a half colleagues, I'm setting off to Paris tomorrow. I've always prepared properly for a cycling tour before now, but for some reason the high of the Fridays' LonJoG has been followed by a lot of lassitude. I did FNRttCs to Southend and Brighton, but barring a couple of 35 miles rides to work and back that's about it since June. The next three days could be interesting.

We're going from Guildford to Portsmouth tomorrow, in time for the 2:30 ferry (which, in itself, creates more time pressure than I'm used to having). Then it's Caen to Evreux on Saturday, and Evreux to Paris on Sunday. And, like a numpty, I've committed to getting back to Guildford on Monday for an 11am meeting. So, while the rest of the party party the night away at the Moulin Rouge I'll be heading to a lonely bed at the Terminus Nord and an early Eurostar. So if you see a bunch of chaps on bikes (some of whom are somewhat less risk-averse than I might like), give us a wave.

(There's a link in my sig if anyone's feeling generous!)

Sandra6

Veteran
Have fun and keep safe.
Look forward to hearing more when you get back.

OP
OP
srw

srw

I think I've been spoilt for group riding by the general excellence that is the Fridays. It came as something of a shock to me to find myself at journey's end today, 80 miles from the start, at 4pm. Having left at about 9:20. And being in the last group home.

I had congenial company for the day, keeping up a decent but not stupid pace - until they sped off with 10 miles to go. I felt a little exposed without my own GPS - only a paper map onto which I'd hastiy traced a pencil route. I think I'll write down a list of destinations for tomorrow.

OP
OP
srw

srw

Paris duly attained. It's interesting how these things develop. I gather that two years ago (Paris) each day finished about 6pm, for most people. Last year (Cardiff via the Cotswolds) there was a group of half a dozen tourists averaging 12mph on the road. This year there were 3 tourists, and I averaged 14.7mph on day 2 over 80 miles, and was still up at 14mph today when we hit the suburbs and the traffic lights.

It still wasn't les vendredis, and I do miss being on a tandem, but it was a fun experience.

Top Bottom