Office snoozing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
There was an article recently about the good affects you get from a snooze in the office at lunchtime. This is something that was always frowned upon when I worked in the UK and yet in Asia it's very common. How many on here regularly have a snooze in the office at lunchtime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I sincerely wish I could.

A solicitor pal of mine used to do it and gave a new secretary a fright when she walked in to see his feet sticking out from behind the desk!

ChrisKH

Guru
I used to have a (very attractive) South African girl work for me in the next office. Every lunchtime, regular as clockwork she used to go out to lunch. Without exception, or so I thought.

She told me on her last day (Visa ran out) that every lunchtime she got under her desk and went to sleep for an hour! You couldn't see her because of the modesty boards, even though I had to walk through her office to get to mine. Had I known I would have joined her. :eek: :blush:

Monty Dog

On my first business-trip to Japan, it took a bit of getting used to - guys kipping in the meetings. Frustratingly, we ended up having meetings before the meetings to agree what was going to be said. We'd then have the meeting, but because the company president or some venerable elder gent would fall asleep, we'd then have to have another meeting afterwards to fill him in on the bit he missed! Working in some Tokyo offices, the office juniors would be there from 6am to 8pm - but proablay spent quite a lot of that time asleep!
That said, the benefits of power-napping are well known, but it's like the 9-5 culture that unless you can be seen working at your desk, you're not actually doing anything - I mean you could be doing anything, like posting on cycling forums!

ChrisKH said:
I used to have a (very attractive) South African girl work for me in the next office. Every lunchtime, regular as clockwork she used to go out to lunch. Without exception, or so I thought.

She told me on her last day (Visa ran out) that every lunchtime she got under her desk and went to sleep for an hour! You couldn't see her because of the modesty boards, even though I had to walk through her office to get to mine. Had I known I would have joined her. :eek: :blush:

...she obviously left and trekked to Australia...because she liked it down under... :laugh:

Not strictly office snoozing, but one job I had involved running a trailer to Argos depots all over the country. Bridgewater and Basildon in particular used to keep me hanging around for anywhere up to eight hours while they unloaded my trailer. So I used to be up at 2am, at the depot for around 6, back onto a loading bay, pull my cab curtains shut and literally go back to bed! (I had a proper bed in the cab, with pillows and everything.) When they'd finished unloading they'd give me a knock and I'd go back home. Easiest job I ever had. :eek:

barq

I haven't slept in my office for ages, and here's why...

I was in a temporary office a while back and all the desks were really crammed in. I was having a doze on the floor and my old office mate (young American woman) promised to wake me if anyone important came in. As one of our senior administrators came by, my office mate Danielle hissed rather too loudly "Quick get up, someone's coming". The administrator half heard what she was saying as I appeared to surface from between Danielle's legs. :eek: :blush:

Top Bottom