Oh bloody hell 2 (camera related)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm going to have to read this thread again now and all the numbers/settings in it because I just got a D40 (super cheapo ebay jobby) and it's FAB! Just like my old minolta SLR which I loved, but sadly broke...I'm hoping to get a lightweight lens to take it touring - apparently the lighter lenses are the cheaper ones too!

Melvil

Kirstie said:
I'm going to have to read this thread again now and all the numbers/settings in it because I just got a D40 (super cheapo ebay jobby) and it's FAB! Just like my old minolta SLR which I loved, but sadly broke...I'm hoping to get a lightweight lens to take it touring - apparently the lighter lenses are the cheaper ones too!

I had a D40(x) before I broke it and I agree - you'll love it. I use the histogram function all the time and mainly shoot(ed) on manual because its easy to adjust everything.

Melvil

Crackle said:
A lot of digital stuff can be CGI but if done well looks good. I like Melvils stuff for instance (I hope he doesn't take that the wrong way :smile: I don't mean it's CGI Mel, merely that it's recognizably digital)

I'm more for the www.luminous-landscape.com approach.

Yes, full sized sensors might make me change my camera but I'm not convinced they will be adopted on affordable consumer cameras. Manufacturers know the pro's will pay for them because of the wealth of kit they have invested in and the workflow they use but for me as an amateur, the benefits for the cost will be low.

Those HP5 shots are so recognizably HP5, excellent. Exposure latitude saved my bacon once when I rolled up to do a weding. My OM2 metering packed in, I knew it as soon as I lined up the first shot. I set it to manual on 1/125 at F5.6 outdoors and 1/125 at f2.8 indoors. Neg density varied greatly but I got usable shots out of every one. Once again you can achieve similiar with digital if you underexpose and use a technique called contrast masking. Overexpose and you've blown it, there'll be nothing there with digital.

Cheers for the big-up, Crackle! Yes, I would never disagree that my shots look anything other than digital, but that's the way I like them.

Top Bottom