Oh bloody hell (for all other guitarists)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave5N

Über Member
Dunno. It's all relative, innit. What does Mrs RT look like?

sheddy

Legendary Member
Well its been nice knowing you.
Can't you just tell the wife that playing helps to keep your fingers supple ?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Beautiful and spankable plank there RT!
Not a bad price either, how's it feel to play?

If you have a 'CrackConverters' or similar pawn emporium in the vacinity you could always say you paid £200 second hand for an absolute bargain?

bobg

Über Member
Rhythm Thief said:
... I've just gone and ordered one of these. Mrs RT is going to kill me when I get home.:evil:
Still, it looks nice, doesn't it?:angry:

Anyway to get the subject back to the guitar:smile: I sounds gorgeous, if its half as good as the sound clip I'm very envious. I bought an Aria electric accoustic for about £400 out of a relocation lump sum.... in 1982 - her indoors found the receipt about 20 years later and still moans about it. Yours has that crisp sound that reminds me of the early Martins. Very Renbournesque. There's a place alled "Frailings" in Old Runcorn" that gets 30/40's classic stuff from the States and lets you demo them for as long as you want ... heaven!! Good luck with it. Just prop it up somewhere and look at it .......

bobg said:
There's a place alled "Frailings" in Old Runcorn" that gets 30/40's classic stuff from the States and lets you demo them for as long as you want ... heaven!! Good luck with it. Just prop it up somewhere and look at it .......

I'm looking forward to getting hold of it, it should be here tomorrow.:rolleyes: The other half didn't seem to be as bothered as I thought she might be, I think she's used to my profligate ways by now!
As for '30s and '40s American guitars ... one of my previous instruments was a 1934 Martin Archtop. A lovely thing with that classic blues sound, but in the end I was pestered into selling it by a friend of mine. Nice to have though, it was always a talking point whenever I played it.

Bigtallfatbloke

Looks nice!

Shame you didn't ask me first...I have a spare one you could have had for nothing;):rolleyes:..oh well moving on.....

...seriously, it does look like a nice guitar...my concern with it, like all 'electro acoustics' is the claim about it's pre amp tone when DI'd into a desk:

The Grand Master is fitted with a Schertler Bluestick condenser mic undersaddle pick up, with class A active pre amp. This is the only system of guitar transducer, capable of faithfully producing, amplified the power and grace of the Grand Master guitar

I have yet to find a Guitar capable of giving a great acoustic tone when DI'd through an on board pre amp...I have never tried one of these though. In my experience electro acoustic on board pre amps give a digital, harsh sound...no 'air'...although this one has a condenser rather than a piezzo or whatever they are called.

Most engineers would rather simply mic up a 'normal' acoustic guitar with two, maybe three mics I think....although playing live would be different...doubtless then the sound would be more than adequate through an amp or direct to the PA.

I have a Takamine 2000LTD edition, it looks cool, plays well and sounds good live, but in a recording studio I would take another guitar in and Mic it up to avoid the digital edge.

Having said all that it depends on what you are recording...Acoustic guitar out on it's own dictates a perfect...more traditional mic'd tone I feel, however if you are playing in a band with this and it is to sit in a mix then I reckon the Pre amp thing wouldn't be to much of an issue really.

...I get regular attacks of gear Gas...I have just bought a Marshall JMP 1 valve pre amp, A new Korg DT-10 tuner, Two celestion Vintage 30 speakers to go in some Marshall 1x12 cabs, a set of ECC83S Matched Triode JJ Tesla Tubes, a set of
ECC83S Balanced JJ Tesla Tubes & a Matched Quad of 6L6GC JJ Tesla Tubes for a Marshall 50/50 stereo power amp and the JMP 1.
As I type I am bidding on EBay for a new guitar effects processer (TC electronic G major) and a Midi controller....it goes on...never ending...you should see this studio...there is so much gear in it I don't even use half of it....but still I get GAS....oh yeah and then there is the imminent NEED for a new bike....fortunately my MRS is resigned to her fate and doesnt protest....well not to my face anyway:biggrin::biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Hey, guitar guys... Iposted this ages ago, got npwhere, then put the guitar in the attic, where it remains... can you tell me owt about it? I rescued it from a dump, bloke had died, apparently used it in a band in the 6os, not famous. Left handed body, but right-handed neck bolted on upside down (see pics). Wierd jack thingy...
Pics here: http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r108/fnaar/

Top Bottom