Oh Boris! You do surprise me......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
another_dave_b said:
I downloaded the 7MB version.

Things have clearly changed a lot since 1990s!

fine. Now, take a look at the southwest quadrant - or just a little west of due south. The A24/A3, running from Tooting to Clapham, to Stockwell, to Kennington, to Elephant and Castle is not on the LCN+. There are fancy, and much slower ways of avoiding it, but it's off the map. Excuse the capital letters that follow....

MORE CYCLISTS USE THIS ROAD THAN ANY OTHER. ON SUMMER EVENINGS CYCLES OUTNUMBER PRIVATE CARS.

You take my point. This is a road that has up to (iirc) 30,000 vehicle movements a day. That's four times the DfT threshold for seperate provision. And yet those wretched cyclists stream down in by the thousand. We're talking fakengers, women with baskets on the front, young people on shitty MTBs, black people, white people, middleaged Bromptonists, the whole damn schmeer. And it's not on the poxy map. Hello.......

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've just checked. The A10 from Stamford Hill south is not on the map. I'm telling you, Dave, you step off the pavement, you'll be sliced in half by some old bird with a Peruvian knitted crash helmet, riding a Giant MTB that's been nicked three times.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
sorry, I'm warming up now...

Garratt Lane. Cyclists every-bloody-where. Parallel to that, the Wandle Way. Mega-expensive gravel. Buggerall bikes. When I suggested to the Greenways Committee that they survey the cycling levels on Garratt Lane to, at the very least, see what points of connection to the Wandle Way might be useful, the Sustrans rep reacted as if he'd been smacked in the chops. As far as he was concerned those cyclists on Garratt Lane just did not exist.

Jonesy - bring me my tranquilisers, smartish!

A

another_dave_b

dellzeqq said:
I've just checked. The A10 from Stamford Hill south is not on the map. I'm telling you, Dave, you step off the pavement, you'll be sliced in half by some old bird with a Peruvian knitted crash helmet, riding a Giant MTB that's been nicked three times.

I'm sure your right, but your point must be, that the idea of a London Cycle Route Network has gone out of control.

When I used it, when it was just a map, it was just a way to plan long, cross town journeys. A bicycle version of an inner ring road, but using B roads. Journeys would start and end using ordinary roads.

Now it seems to be an attempt at a duplicate road network.

CotterPin

There were so many things wrong with the implementation of the LCN+ that it wasn't that difficult for Boris to nix the idea. However, the problem is, as others have highlighted that he does not seem to have another idea.

There is the talk of "super highways" but surely this is the same thing in a different guise? And Boris has said that one of his key concerns is ensuring that traffic flows smoothly - this is generally taken to mean motor traffic, and one of the reasons given for cutting the funding for the LCN+ was that it was getting to the stage of the "difficult" parts of the network, junctions and the like. These are the bits Boris described as "unpopular" - again, this is likely to mean unpopular with motorists, and certainly would render it difficult to have his much beloved free-flowing traffic. The same problems would impact upon any super highway scheme, surely?

So the only bike scheme he really has is the cycle hire one and though I hate to say this as I am not particularly fond of Mr Johnson, it may be a good idea, as it might directly encourage more people onto pedals which is ultimately is probably be a better idea than driving to carve up road space in the forlorn hope that people might take up cycling.

A

another_dave_b

CotterPin said:
So the only bike scheme he really has is the cycle hire one and though I hate to say this as I am not particularly fond of Mr Johnson, it may be a good idea, as it might directly encourage more people onto pedals which is ultimately is probably be a better idea than driving to carve up road space in the forlorn hope that people might take up cycling.

It's been a huge success in France.

OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
My whole thinking is to make routes available as to the highway code rules on priority use, peds, horses, cyclists etc. There is simply no need to carve up or segregate roads, paint lines or print new maps.

If there was any serious intent to encourage people from using their cars and to support those who are already using bikes then there are simple but potentially unpopular measures they could easily take.

In favour of Ken, whatever you might think of him, he wasn't afraid of being unpopular whereas Boris is supposedly setting an example of an authoritarian but cuddly Tory who can 'put things right'. All I see are election promises and pledges being unceremoniously withdrawn and brushed under the carpet.
Surprise, surprise.:tongue:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
another_dave_b said:
It's been a huge success in France.

Ken started the work on the velib four years ago - the problem was, and still is, that there are certain boroughs that really do not want to know - and it is going to be impossible to operate without all 32 boroughs joining in.

A

another_dave_b

dellzeqq said:
it is going to be impossible to operate without all 32 boroughs joining in.

I don't see why. I would think the most sensible thing, even if all 32 were on board, would be to start with the central boroughs, and gradually expand it.

OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
another_dave_b said:
I don't see why. I would think the most sensible thing, even if all 32 were on board, would be to start with the central boroughs, and gradually expand it.

In theory it is sensible but the problem in this instance would be maintaining continuity across the city. It is well known investment and interest in cycle facilities vary wildly from borough to borough.

CotterPin

dellzeqq said:
Ken started the work on the velib four years ago - the problem was, and still is, that there are certain boroughs that really do not want to know - and it is going to be impossible to operate without all 32 boroughs joining in.

And I think Ken also raised the ideas of "super highways". So Bojo hasn't really come up with an original idea on cycling in London yet. I think he thinks if he keeps saying "bicycles" a lot then people will think he is actually doing something - in the same way that Sarah Palin thought she could become VP of the US by squawking "maverick" all the time. :ohmy:

If all the boroughs aren't on board for the cycle hire scheme then it will be difficult to administer. What happens if someone rides out from central London to a borough not in the scheme? Where do they leave the bike? How will it be retrieved?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
CotterPin said:
And I think Ken also raised the ideas of "super highways". So Bojo hasn't really come up with an original idea on cycling in London yet. I think he thinks if he keeps saying "bicycles" a lot then people will think he is actually doing something - in the same way that Sarah Palin thought she could become VP of the US by squawking "maverick" all the time. :biggrin:

not quite true (although I'd love it to be). Ken decided to go nap on cycling before the mayoral election, without a clue what might be involved. The gap was filled, in a fit of opportunism that can only be applauded, by TfL and Jenny Jones. Agree with you about the squawking maverick thing, though. Slicing two seconds off the time that people have to cross a road, in order to speed car flows is pure Sarah Palin.

What dellzeq says.

I remember when the "Green Bridge" over Mile End Road was built. The cycle lane had zarking SPEED BUMPS built into it. Only in London.

And don't even get me started on Westminster council and cycling....

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Twenty Inch said:
I remember when the "Green Bridge" over Mile End Road was built. The cycle lane had zarking SPEED BUMPS built into it. Only in London.

is that the Green Bridge that runs parallel to the canal towpath....;)

(the one with the dead trees)

Top Bottom