Oh brixton cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
How do I clamp up the work stand when doing them?

Carefully....

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
What if your a woman or a gender variant and want to go to the mens class? what then? are you allowed or do you have to stick with your own sex group? I think by trying to be right on and trendy it divides people more.
I've never met a woman ever who said she wanted to go to a womens bike maintenance class.These women must exist but I've never met one.
I've certainly met plenty of women who've felt patronised by guys in bike shops, and that was just trying to buy stuff.
I personally know three or more from here.
I suspect there is a market for it, or Brixton Cycles wouldn't have been running them for some years now.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
...although I don't actually like that at all.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I could reply to that but I would probably be accused* of "making a pronouncement" so I won't bother.

*not by you
Just to be clear, I did mean "there is no problem in women or gender variant people attending the 'men's', ie mixed class rather than the separate class if they wish to" rather than "there is no problem with women and gender variant people attending the 'men's', ie mixed class therefore there is no need for a separate class".

I'm all for women (and/or gender variant) only bike maintenance classes, for reasons we covered a couple of years ago iirc.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
To be clear it wasn't the women bit of the classes I was, er, intrigued by, but the gender variant bit and the bundling of them with women.

One only hopes that Germaine Greer doesn't rock up with her spanners or Brixton Cycles might have to do a bit of assumption reassignment.

Great shop Brixton Cycles - one of the best in London - crying shame that they had to move from their old home - but that's contemporary London for you.

It's not just the guys serving in the bike shops, it's also the guys who have come on the maintenance courses. ...
And, I'm guessing, a bit of blessed relief for the female staff, not having to deal with ... "certain" male customers.

My youngest daughter worked a good while in the local Halford's - she and her mates worked up a fine line in banter to deal with the (frequent) male customer who refused to believe she knew anything about her job.

Top Bottom