Oh dear...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I don't use the car that often, maybe once or twice a week for appointments or a big food shop.
So, I got to thinking...yes here's the dangerous part...

What if I got something that I could use with a small trailer so I could haul shopping etc.
What would I be looking at for this...a tourer, or would a hybrid do the job?
I think my husband may divorce me soon.....

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've used all sorts to pull trailers, helps to have low gears depending on terrain/ weight.

Old steel MTB, alu. 'cross bike, tourer, Ms P's hybrid.

Matthames

Über Member
I am with palinurus. It helps to have something with a low gear ratio, especially if you have to tackle any hills as if you have any weight on the trailer, you will feel it drag. The amount of drag I have found is similar to that is the difference between using a slick and knobbly tyres.

I often use a cyclone IV trailer with my Brompton which is a good combination as it allows me to use public transport, but any bike could be used to haul a trailer.

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
I can get into town using all cycle paths which are mainly very good.
Some hard packed gravel, and some inclines and one big hill back into the village.

Keith Oates

Janner
You're a brave man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ganymede

Veteran
I am interested in trying a bike trailer - as just mentioned on the carless thread I have remembered that my locally-based nephew used to have one - a Mule if I remember rightly - and am now in the process of trying to track it down and borrow it for a try-out.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I can heartily recommend bike trailers. I use mine a couple of times a month and it must have easily paid for itself in taxi fares. Also I find that cars tend to give me more room. Just be careful to take into account the extra width.

Top Bottom