Oh Deer .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

In my part of rural France, deer are a common sight. I've seen them often on my morning rides, and when they "boil" across the road, with their incredible arcing leaps over hedges etc, I have thought to myself 'wouldn't want to be hit by one of them'

My favourite encounter though was with a fully grown stag deer with massive antlers. It was a misty autumnal morning and I'd just rounded a corner after a short descent into a dip, and there it was. Stood still in the middle of the road, it watched me briefly before making off into a copse. Absolutely magical with the mist just completing an Arthurian scene.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I once rode into a deer in Richmond Park. It was one of the big ones with huge antlers. They are very solid, and don’t like being ridden into.

I stayed well clear of the 'stags' in Lyme park recently as it was 'rutting season' and I was out on the MTB.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I saw a deer in Abbey Park last night. It isn't a huge park, is surrounded by busy roads and is only half a mile or so from the city centre. It did well to get in there.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Probably mentioned it before, but a Fridays ride in 2016 encountered loads of wild deer, like a wildebeest migration at Faygate, crossing Tower Road. Most crossed in front, some behind, so for a few seconds I was on safari.
Lovely sight.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A mate of mine decided to do the C2C ride in one hit, involving an overnight.

At about 3am in rural County Durham he was startled by a deer running across the path.

What was even more startling was the bloke in full combat gear carrying a rifle who was chasing the deer.

Nebulous

Guru
Only a couple of weeks ago I was nearly wiped out by a deer coming out of a hedge and jumping across the road.
I've had that. A deer just appeared from undergrowth, probably 3-4 metres ahead. I was sure I would hit it, but with a bound it was clear of my path. A few more and it was gone.
I didn't even have time to be scared.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Apparently the Friends of Richmond Park posted a comment on FB and Twitter along with a photo of the rider lying on the ground saying, "Cyclist learns the hard way...". A pretty callous way to frame the incident and it drew the predictable backlash but their distasteful view was given a lot of support from other posters.

Top Bottom