Oh me bum. What's the current thinking on shorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Acyclo

Veteran
Today's commute[1] started off vee uncomfortable. A sharp pain on sitting on the saddle. It eased off after a couple of miles. This isn't the first time, but worse today than before, and unexpected after four days off. I wear cheap padded cycling shorts with a gel pad. Advice please.

[1] 7 miles each way. Old giffer, sixty plus.

rivers

How far can I go?
Better quality shorts or a saddle more suited to you? Do you normally suffer from pain?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
"What's the current thinking on shorts?"

Wear some, especially if you have a white saddle.

I have better results with some shorts over others, but ultimately if I have a long time off the bike, it takes a while to get my rear accustomed to the saddle again, just a case of increasing the mileage bit by bit.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If you're getting discomfort after only a short (or medium) distance then I'd suggest you got the wrong saddle (for you) or an outright bad saddle or the position is wrong. Fix that first, and only then worry about apecial shorts

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have said this so many times now that I nearly don't bother! You do not have to wear padded, or even cycling specific, shorts to be comfortable on a bike. I don't, and even on occasional longer rides (around 100 miles) I rarely find myself wishing for any padding. The most important factors IMO are bike fit and a compatible (for you) saddle.
Having said that, immediate pain when sitting on the bike after a good few days off doesn't sound right. Are you sure there isn't some other issue rearing its head? Might be worth taking a good look and prod at your undercarriage to rule out a physical problem before condemning your previously acceptable set-up.

Dismount

Does anyone know of any decent padded shorts that are lose in fit? I mostly ride a CX bike and I don't have a requirement for lycra I can go plenty fast enough with loose fit.

Last edited:

S-Express

Does anyone know of any decent padded shorts that are lose in fit? I mostly ride a CX bike and I don't have a requirement for lycra I can go plenty fast enough with lose fit.

MTB shorts would seem to be what you are after. You are also after the word 'loose' - not 'lose'...

Top Bottom