Oh! My aching legs!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jeffrey4670

Regular
Hi, I am new to cycling and never owned a bike before. Being 57 years of age and never taken much exercise in the past, I'm finding my legs have never ached as much, over the past month! I have bought a Carrera Crossfire 3 bike from Halfords and have been using it to cycle to Leeds (around 15 miles) during the week, but still struggle to get up the smallest of hills. 15 miles takes me around an hour. How long should it take me to get fit! or is my age against me? Jeff , Wakefield, West Yorks.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi Jeff and :welcome:
15 mph for a "wise in years" ;) beginner cyclist seems to me more than adequate.
No doubt somebody with more knowledge in fitness matters will come along soon, but I think you are doing great.
Don't forget to enjoy your rides!
More speed, more climbing ability will come in time with practice - age no barrier.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
15mph is faster than I manage on most rides and I've been cycling almost as long as I can remember.:blink:

I may have to take an instant dislike to you.;)

Seriously though :welcome:. You're doing pretty well for a complete beginner. Just enjoy the rides and general fitness will take care of itself.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Jeffrey4670

Jeffrey4670

Regular
I find it frustrating when stood at traffic lights and the fellow cyclist by my side, sets off the same time as myself and I am left behind. Once I am up and running, he is out of sight. My other pet hates are pedestrians 4 wide on cycle paths and just won't move!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, a decent average.

And I'm also 57 and have been cycling as an adult for 26 years.... and my legs ache after a hard ride. Take care to eat a good high carb, high protein low fat diet and remember that the gains happen during the resting time between rides when your body is repairing that muscle damage and building new muscle fibre, hence the importance of a good diet.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Hi, I am new to cycling and never owned a bike before. Being 57 years of age and never taken much exercise in the past, I'm finding my legs have never ached as much, over the past month! I have bought a Carrera Crossfire 3 bike from Halfords and have been using it to cycle to Leeds (around 15 miles) during the week, but still struggle to get up the smallest of hills. 15 miles takes me around an hour. How long should it take me to get fit! or is my age against me? Jeff , Wakefield, West Yorks.

As long as it takes!

OP
OP
Jeffrey4670

Jeffrey4670

Regular
Thanks for the diet info, going to look seriously into that. I would like to use the bike to a RSPB reserve which is 30 miles from home, but It is just too much for me at the moment.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
:welcome: - I'm in Dewsbury but commute into/out of Leeds most days, either along the Leeds Ring Road or up through Belle Isle.

It'll probably take 2-3 months to get fit, but you should see continued improvements. Keep going! Oh, and remember to enjoy it. The pain should go.

Ern1e

Über Member
Hi Jeff and welcome I an a 58 yr old and that is a darn good speed you have going there ! and as per @Rickshaw Phil just may have to take a dislike lol. All I would add is +1 on the diet and keep your self well hydrated whilst riding and the rest will creep up on you slowly,you will notice over time that it doe's not seem to have taken as long to get to where ever etc.

OP
OP
Jeffrey4670

Jeffrey4670

Regular
:welcome: - I'm in Dewsbury but commute into/out of Leeds most days, either along the Leeds Ring Road or up through Belle Isle.

It'll probably take 2-3 months to get fit, but you should see continued improvements. Keep going! Oh, and remember to enjoy it. The pain should go.

One month ago a ride from south Wakefield to Belle Isle (Leeds) would take me 1 hour 45 mins, now it takes 45 mins, so yes, there is improvement, but still need to get off and walk the bike on occasions.

Jen5656

Hi jeff
I have just joined site and have same bike and nearly same age (sigh) but I have been cycling for years and struggle to reach 15 mph..unless its flat or downhill.
just enjoy the bike and the benefits of cycling which are many and try not to worry about speed.

Enjoy Jen

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
G'day Jeff,
Speaking as a 58 year old, that ain't bad going! I've been bimbling about on bikes for about two years now, and can occasionally see a 17 mph average over my local 9 mile up and down circuit. When I started, I was doing about 12 mph. One thing I have noticed, by keeping up the riding my ability to go further before any discomfort sets in has definitely improved, to the extent that a 'proper' training ride is now about 25 miles.
As everybody else is saying, ride your own ride, stop when you like, and enjoy the rides.

Top Bottom