Oh no, it's another "what C2W bike?" thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Our C2W window opens next week and I'm going to take the plunge to replace my trusty Boardman Road Comp, which is approaching 3 years old now.
To be honest, I want to upgrade to disc brakes too which is another driving factor, as this will primarily be a winter / bad weather bike - I'll also want to fit full mudguards for this reason.
I'm tied to either Halfords or Evans - despite some widely held opinions, my local branch of Halfords have always been spot on with me. I have looked at the Evans website and to be honest, there is nothing there that appeals. I'm sure that their bikes are all very competent, but there is nothing that has a "wow" factor for me in the C2W price bracket.
I know some places online will take Halfords C2W certificates, but I want to see the bike before I buy and deal with an actual shop. So, it has to be Halfords, which I'm really quite relaxed about as I've bought all my other bikes from them.

The obvious choice is the 'new' Boardman Road Comp with Tektro Spyre discs, a carbon fork and Sora running gear. However, it's very red and I'm not really a fan of red bikes. I'm sure that I'd get used to it and you don't see much of the bike when you sit on it do you? Just looking at it, I'm not sure that it has the 'wow' factor either in that colour. Spec wise, it looks virtually the same as the 2015 model I've got now, apart from the disc brakes and 28c tyres (I've got 25c now).

000.JPG

Another option is the Boardman CX Comp which also has a Sora set up, but an alu fork and Tektro Lyra discs - which I think are not as good as the Spyres? It is however a far nicer colour scheme, with green detailing that will match my Pro Carbon. ;) I'm thinking spec wise it's a step back from the Road Comp - but would I notice the difference given how much better it looks...?

000.JPG

However, while looking at the options, I noticed the Boardman CX Team - it's a fair chunk more expensive but still falls within the C2W price bracket.
And lets be honest, the more it costs the more I'll save, right? :laugh:
It's got hydraulic discs (which is good), with an SRAM Rival 1x11 drivetrain - I've never had SRAM on a road bike and I'm concerned about "only" having 11 gears to haul my big ass up the Yorkshire hills, although the 10-42 cassette range is a good bit wider than I'm used to. The colour scheme is also acceptable, even with a bit of red in it.
000.JPG

I'm thinking a CX bike will be better on the muddy country lanes that seem to surround me through the winter, and for the odd bit of off-road (such as cutting along a muddy but sheltered bridleway rather than slogging endlessly into the wind on road...), even if it doesn't have the outright speed of a road bike

So, CycleChatters, I need your advice - I'm going to sleep on it but I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts.

vickster

Legendary Member
There are lots of LBS that take Halfords voucher too, you don't have to buy online

I think Tektro Lyra are meant to be positively lethal, use some budget for an upgrade if you go that route

I'd get the red one though, the others are too black

13 rider

Guru
The cx seems perfect for a bit of off road and muddy lanes and the chain ring is only 44 so lowest gear 44/42 should get you up most lumps but 44/10 top gear will be a lot slower than your Boardman running 53/11. Hydraulic disc seem to get much better reviews than mechanical

OP
OP
NorthernDave

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The cx seems perfect for a bit of off road and muddy lanes and the chain ring is only 44 so lowest gear 44/42 should get you up most lumps but 44/10 top gear will be a lot slower than your Boardman running 53/11. Hydraulic disc seem to get much better reviews than mechanical

Yep, that's what I thought - top speed isn't the be all and end all, but it does seem quite a drop from 50/11 on the current Road Comp to 44/10 on the CX Team.
While hydraulic discs would be better, I'm not worried about having decent mechanical ones if the rest of the package is right.

13 rider

Guru
Yep, that's what I thought - top speed isn't the be all and end all, but it does seem quite a drop from 50/11 on the current Road Comp to 44/10 on the CX Team.
While hydraulic discs would be better, I'm not worried about having decent mechanical ones if the rest of the package is right.
I also like the simplicity of a 1 by system especially for a winter bike

bpsmith

Veteran
Halfords can source pretty much any bike for you and it gets delivered and set up at your local shop, if it is where you insist on getting it from.

Personally, I would seek out a proper bike shop who accept the Halfords voucher.

Tin Pot

Guru
Our C2W window opens next week and I'm going to take the plunge to replace my trusty Boardman Road Comp, which is approaching 3 years old now.
To be honest, I want to upgrade to disc brakes too which is another driving factor, as this will primarily be a winter / bad weather bike - I'll also want to fit full mudguards for this reason.
I'm tied to either Halfords or Evans - despite some widely held opinions, my local branch of Halfords have always been spot on with me. I have looked at the Evans website and to be honest, there is nothing there that appeals. I'm sure that their bikes are all very competent, but there is nothing that has a "wow" factor for me in the C2W price bracket.
I know some places online will take Halfords C2W certificates, but I want to see the bike before I buy and deal with an actual shop. So, it has to be Halfords, which I'm really quite relaxed about as I've bought all my other bikes from them.

The obvious choice is the 'new' Boardman Road Comp with Tektro Spyre discs, a carbon fork and Sora running gear. However, it's very red and I'm not really a fan of red bikes. I'm sure that I'd get used to it and you don't see much of the bike when you sit on it do you? Just looking at it, I'm not sure that it has the 'wow' factor either in that colour. Spec wise, it looks virtually the same as the 2015 model I've got now, apart from the disc brakes and 28c tyres (I've got 25c now).

View attachment 380013

Another option is the Boardman CX Comp which also has a Sora set up, but an alu fork and Tektro Lyra discs - which I think are not as good as the Spyres? It is however a far nicer colour scheme, with green detailing that will match my Pro Carbon. ;) I'm thinking spec wise it's a step back from the Road Comp - but would I notice the difference given how much better it looks...?

View attachment 380012

However, while looking at the options, I noticed the Boardman CX Team - it's a fair chunk more expensive but still falls within the C2W price bracket.
And lets be honest, the more it costs the more I'll save, right? :laugh:
It's got hydraulic discs (which is good), with an SRAM Rival 1x11 drivetrain - I've never had SRAM on a road bike and I'm concerned about "only" having 11 gears to haul my big ass up the Yorkshire hills, although the 10-42 cassette range is a good bit wider than I'm used to. The colour scheme is also acceptable, even with a bit of red in it.
View attachment 380011

I'm thinking a CX bike will be better on the muddy country lanes that seem to surround me through the winter, and for the odd bit of off-road (such as cutting along a muddy but sheltered bridleway rather than slogging endlessly into the wind on road...), even if it doesn't have the outright speed of a road bike

So, CycleChatters, I need your advice - I'm going to sleep on it but I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts.
Road bikes are better on road regardless of conditions.

Funnily enough, CX race winners use road bikes too.

ozboz

Guru
I saw a Boardman last week in Cycle Republic , a nice metallic red colour , it had from memory sora mechs etc and TRP discs , it was £700 , yet it came up on Halfords at at £560 or so , a discounted price it looks a bit like the first pic in the OP ,
I would def consider this for that price,a proper good winter bike , (and yes , I know that they are both the same company , )
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...goryId=165710&productId=1326033&storeId=10001

Last edited:
OP
OP
NorthernDave

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Have you had a look at the Pinnacle Arkose range from Evans? Nice bit of kit. I got the Arkose 2 on C2W a couple of months ago and it’ll be my winter bike.

The 2018 model looks a good spec and I like the colour, although it's currently just above the magic £1000 price tag. I might have to try get to a store this weekend.

I saw a Boardman last week in Cycle Republic , a nice metallic red colour , it had from memory sora mechs etc and TRP discs , it was £700 , yet it came up on Halfords at at £560 or so , a discounted price it looks a bit like the first pic in the OP ,
I would def consider this for that price,a proper good winter bike , (and yes , I know that they are both the same company , )
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...goryId=165710&productId=1326033&storeId=10001

That is the Road Comp in the first pic above. I'll be honest, it's the colour that's making me think twice - spec wise it looks spot on for what I want and it's a decent price too.
I'll try and get in to a store and see what it looks like in the metal, so to speak.

On a related note, does anyone know if I can apply the BC discount on a C2W bike and accessories?

OP
OP
NorthernDave

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Well, I'm going to have a look at Evans and Halfords tomorrow and see what's to be seen.
I've read a few reviews about the "red" Road Comp and apparently the colour is a lot nicer in real life, plus spec and price wise that would be the obvious choice.

But who knows, I might end up with a FS MTB..? :laugh:

Top Bottom