Oh no; what have I done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I have just started working part time at a local care home, which is run by a charity.
Today I attended my first ever staff meeting, and the subject of fund raising events was mentioned. The manageress asked if anyone had any ideas in that regard, and me being new and wanting to show some enthusiasm ........... well I just had to mention LEJOG, didn't I?

The manageress jumped on the suggestion, so I guess I'd better start training :laugh:.
It is something I have always thought I would like to do, but have always managed to come up with good reasons NOT to do it. Maybe I just need a bit of pressure and a kick up the backside. Watch this space.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I have just started working part time at a local care home, which is run by a charity.
Today I attended my first ever staff meeting, and the subject of fund raising events was mentioned. The manageress asked if anyone had any ideas in that regard, and me being new and wanting to show some enthusiasm ........... well I just had to mention LEJOG, didn't I?

The manageress jumped on the suggestion, so I guess I'd better start training :laugh:.
It is something I have always thought I would like to do, but have always managed to come up with good reasons NOT to do it. Maybe I just need a bit of pressure and a kick up the backside. Watch this space.
Jeez. That takes brown nosing to a whole new level. :laugh:

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Coincidentally I was in Dales Cycles in Glasgow on Sunday and bought Nick Mitchell's book "The End to End Cycle Route", which was maybe another catalyst for this madness. Although having looked through the book, I don't agree that parts of his suggested route are the best way. I don't know my way along the route south of the border, but as an example in Scotland he suggests using the A82 from Tarbet to Crianlarich, then through Glencoe. That's a horrible and busy road (although scenic). I would rather use the NCN route from Glasgow to Callendar, Pitlochry, and north to Inverness through the Cairngorms.

snorri

Legendary Member
Good for you @Brandane ,and good idea .
Good idea for getting a month off work to do LEJOG?

snorri

Legendary Member
and set a date/route etc..
I would highly recommend LEJOG, it was a great starting board/confidence builder for longer tours. I took the train to Penzance in 1999 for a Cornish tour but very quickly got bored with the hills there and set off for home meaning to catch the train when tired. I cycled all the way home and thought I'd better just cycle for another day and a half to get to JOG. No planning at all, I just bought a new map when I was about to cycle off the previous map. I know some people prefer to plan a little more:rolleyes:. I agree with you re A82.
There is endless debate on the CTC/CUK forum regarding LEJOG, but there is some good advice in there if you can separate the wheat from the chaff.
http://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewforum.php?f=22
Also here...http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk/
Go for it!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom