Oh to be 23 years old again - or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mburton1993

Über Member
Oh good god no, stopped drinking at 23.

I was so very hungover.

If going back to 23 with no knowledge that I went back to 23 at the age of 61, would mean nothing as I would make the same mistakes etc..
However if I went back with the knowledge that if I followed the same path it would have the same results is a real conundrum, ie would I have met and married my ex wife and had 2 kids, if not they would not exist. But if I ensured I did meet and married my ex so my children existed would I have ensured my marriage did not fall apart. Hmm I don't know if that would have been possible or if I would want to try. Or would I have tried to find my current partner who would not have been married at that time and had different children.
Overall I think I would keep the Status Quo and not go back , as I would know all the other world events coming up etc and what would I do with that knowledge?

stephec

Legendary Member
If going back to 23 with no knowledge that I went back to 23 at the age of 61, would mean nothing as I would make the same mistakes etc..
However if I went back with the knowledge that if I followed the same path it would have the same results is a real conundrum, ie would I have met and married my ex wife and had 2 kids, if not they would not exist. But if I ensured I did meet and married my ex so my children existed would I have ensured my marriage did not fall apart. Hmm I don't know if that would have been possible or if I would want to try. Or would I have tried to find my current partner who would not have been married at that time and had different children.
Overall I think I would keep the Status Quo and not go back , as I would know all the other world events coming up etc and what would I do with that knowledge?

You are Marty McFly AICMFP. 😂

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

I don’t think you’re going back in time as well. Just reverting to 23 in the current year, with some inexplicable reason as to why you don‘t know about anything that’s happened in the last 38 years. Plus why there’s no birth certificate etc etc when you apply for a passport.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Like I said above, I'd rather go back to when I was much younger than that, *if I knew what I know now*, as most of my problems stemmed from things that happened long before I was 23.
In fact, just start me off again at about 10 or 11 in the early 1990s'... Provided I get to remember what I know now. ☺️😆

23 was a relatively peaceful age for me in comparison!

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Are you allowed to know that you've gone back 40 years in my case to being 23 again, or will you just be 23, not knowing you've gone back to being 23? If it's the former it'd be nice in some ways to have many years taken off your age, knowing it's happened. If it's the latter it wouldn't mean much as you wouldn't know you'd been made young again. I mean if it's the latter I'm 63 now, but I could've been 103, but not knowing it wouldn't give me pleasure as I wouldn't have any recollection of being very old. 🤔

Is the topic about being 23 again now, or being 23 when you were 23, in my case in 1983? If it's about either there's the thought of going back, if you're allowed to know you're going back in time and seeing those who aren't here anymore. Most Christmas Days in the 1980's for me were spent with my parents and grandma. Would I like to go back to Christmas Day 1983 and spend it with three people, who I'd know were dead when I'd reached 63, yet there I'd be talking to them and thinking how long they had to live.:unsure:

I had a cassette tape of our Christmas dinner conversation in 1984, when I was 24. It was just the usual stuff, but I'd like to hear the voices of those long gone relatives, as well as my own as a 24 year old. I've spent a good hour trying to find it, but I think it disappeared quite a few years ago, but thought I'd give it a try. Even then I'd have to buy a cassette player and even then it'd probably get chewed up in the mechanism, like cassettes did. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Whilst I can think of a lot worse ages in my life, I have no desire to go back to when I was 23. Still deeply unpopular and frequently avoided at all costs by many, still desperately chasing women and not getting anywhere, and still finding my feet following Uni, at least I was sharing a house with people who liked me, and had friends nearby who would meet up for a pint or two. I had a bike (so that is a positive) and a car, so was mobile. So things were definitely on the up, but still a long way to go.

Either I'm wired incorrectly, and I naturally look back only at the worst elements of the past, and am therefore glad that things have developed, or most people were having a lot more fun in their early 20s than me.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Age 23 (1971)I had been married 2 years. We were skint but lots of good memories.
1st house cost £695..00......I was earning £15 per week delivering Coop bread.

Top Bottom